[Member] Perpetual Nomination Thread

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: [Member] Perpetual Nomination Thread

Post by Ace Pace »

Uh, excuse me, what the fuck is Havok's nominations worth? Going over the threads used for nominating him, I don't come off impressed by Havok as a senator.

Havok vs Vympel, useless debate.

Motorcycle thread A, Havok demonstrates some very good knowledge of bikes. Debate skills, or anything similar, don't show up. Nor is there anything incredible there outside of bikes.

Motorcycle thread B, a damn story thread. I enjoyed reading it. Senate material? not really.

Havok Vs Poe, a debate, but only one out of the nominations.

Two further NFL threads exist, I don't know what relevence they have towards nominations.

His Artwork more EVEN MORE
Havok's Marvel Universe Project DC Universe Anytime someone says "Universe Project" you know it's fucking AWESOME.
His collection of art threads are spectactular and Havok knows I enjoy them, but they're not a reason for someone to be in the senate.

A senator should provide multiple quality contributions to the board. Havok is a fun member, but I don't think he exactly meets that.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Starglider wrote:I just remembered; CmdrWilkens, could you please confirm what MKSheppard's status is? AFAIK he's a mod for the history forum, but he doesn't seem to be in the moderators or minimods groups. Are all moderators automatically senators? What about minimods? Now that we've got subforums, does 'minimod' mean 'a moderator but not in a top level forum' or 'a moderator of a private forum'? Inquiring mind(s) want to know.
Edi covered most of this but here goes:

Mike, Admins, and Super-Mods are ALL automatic Senators. This is due to the board software that gives them the ability to post and vote in the Senate without being listed as part of the membership.

Moderators/Mini-Moderators are NOT automatic Senators. They must be nominated, seconded, supported, and confirmed in order to join.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Ace, discussion of nominations doesn't belong in the nominations sticky. You're supposed to open a new thread for that.

I think the reason I picked those threads is because I think we need some diversity in the Senate. Not everyone is a master debater, and contributions to the board's culture should be acknowledged as having some value. Also, I don't see how Flagg's addition is a "useless debate". Havok demonstrated he can keep a cool head despite the other member's behaviour, which was somewhat lacking in his debate against Poe.
XXXI
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Phantasee wrote:Ace, discussion of nominations doesn't belong in the nominations sticky. You're supposed to open a new thread for that.
No, you can do it here per Wilkins.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Ace Pace wrote:A senator should provide multiple quality contributions to the board. Havok is a fun member, but I don't think he exactly meets that.
Dude, you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid, particularly if you think all of the Senators "provide multiple quality contributions to the board." Havok's "debate" with Vympel demonstrates just how badly one of the "quality contributors" can lose their minds, and that non-Senators are perfectly capable of keeping their cool (as Phantasee pointed out).
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Frankly Havok is more active and contributes more than some senators. Hell one of this months nominees is someone I've never fucking heard of and is being praised for shit that didn't even happen on this board. The fact that there was open talk of making him a senator by fiat is disturbing to me as well, though I don't know how serious that was.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ace Pace wrote:Uh, excuse me, what the fuck is Havok's nominations worth? Going over the threads used for nominating him, I don't come off impressed by Havok as a senator.

Havok vs Vympel, useless debate.

Motorcycle thread A, Havok demonstrates some very good knowledge of bikes. Debate skills, or anything similar, don't show up. Nor is there anything incredible there outside of bikes.

Motorcycle thread B, a damn story thread. I enjoyed reading it. Senate material? not really.

Havok Vs Poe, a debate, but only one out of the nominations.

Two further NFL threads exist, I don't know what relevence they have towards nominations.

His Artwork more EVEN MORE
Havok's Marvel Universe Project DC Universe Anytime someone says "Universe Project" you know it's fucking AWESOME.
His collection of art threads are spectactular and Havok knows I enjoy them, but they're not a reason for someone to be in the senate.

A senator should provide multiple quality contributions to the board. Havok is a fun member, but I don't think he exactly meets that.
I pretty much agree with all of this and I'm glad Ace has the sac to say it without worry about what I might think or how I may react. I respect that and it says a lot about him.

All I will say about being nominated is that, as Bounty said first, I'm not going to bitch or complain about how things are run, no matter how little, and then not step up to plate if asked/chosen to do the job.

As for my qualifications or fitness to actually be a Senator, while I am certainly not even close to the best of the debaters on the board, I feel that I have improved quite a bit since I joined here. I also do care about the board and what goes on here and would certainly try my best to make the correct decisions when needed, especially when it comes to its well being and in regards to kepping this a place that people want to come to and participate in.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Destructionator XIII wrote:He said "senator SHOULD provide multiple quality contributions to the board."

Just because the current lot isn't perfect doesn't mean the standards should be ignored for later nominations.

I know what Ace said, however let's be real here; being elected to the Senate is more about popularity and "is he/she sufficiently like us (aka a socially awkward Internet nerd with too much free time)" more than anything else. I don't particularly give a shit what criteria people use to select Senators, or for that matter who they select as Senators. I just tire of this "quality contributions" bullshit used as some sort of minimum qualifying criteria, particularly when many sitting Senators don't meet that criteria (either objectively due to lack of participation or subjectively because their posts aren't deemed sufficiently "quality").

Fuck, elect Havok, or Flagg, or Steve, or Elite fucking Pwnage for all I care - just stop acting like this is some high honor when it's just a silly Internet community where people come to fight and argue and entertain themselves.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Sanchez, then how about I keep doing what I just did, which is point out how stupid some of these nominations are. No, Senators don't all fit what I think senators can be. Yet I care enough to make sure the problem, from my point of view, doesn't get worse.

Flagg and Phant, I disagree the Senate needs different types of people. I'd rather keep more of the Socialites out and bring in more debators. Havok may be better than some senators, I'm not interested in that discussion, but he's not appropiate from my prespective on Senators and that's why I'd rather not have him in.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Let's do the same thing for Steve. I don't know how much good it'll do with some of the Senators, but for what it's worth.
The Yosemite Bear wrote:now in Space Battles he permabanned Ray Cav, and Rocket Girl, (Which is much harder to do in Space battles then it is here)
So he can play in other forums, so?
Steve on D-Day
On WoW
on Texas not learning the lessons of 1860-1865
]
Good discussion on D-Day, but in the WoW and texas threads he barely figures, not sure why Yosemite posted these threads as steller examples.
ok, these were all just this year, he's got 150 pages of posts

I hope your happy, you made me work on my day off.
Gee can't some people do a little searchy?
No, we can't do a little searchy, that's your job. 150 pages of posts is impressive, shows he's got a resume. I'd support Steve but not over Starglider or Painrack.

~~ Broken link to WoW thread fixed. Coyote.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I tried digging up some more on Steve..

discusson about Nazi worship

Debate between Shep and Steve

Historical Heroes thread - has some useful (I think) contributions by Steve also.

Here its Israel and Palestine stuff it seems though I hav to admit watching Mike and Steve banter was always hilarious. Thats another big of nostalgia for me from the past, even though I'm not expecting people to "get" that.

Steve on boycotting some interesting interactions gain with Mike. Significant to me, not neccesarily so to others of course...

He's written more than a few fanfics to the board.. he's a pretty good writer (I'll have to dig those up too), I did snag one of them here.

Steve uses fan fic to show why tanks beat Mecha [in his own words] Ironically this is the thread the split mentioned above (steve vs Shep) evidently happened from.

Really though alot of stuff I am basing it on is personal knowledge and association with him. He was there on my own SB days, and I don't know if anyone can seriously expect me to ignore that in voting. Hell, I can remember Hav when he first joined.. anyone who can do that probably can say that he's improved MASSIVELY since then and contributes in lots of small ways (and I should note, not a slight on Hav, but the standards of "contribution" have in my mind slipped alot from the earlier days when the board was small. Simply avoiding spamming one liners on a consistent basis seems to be the minimum requirement for being a "worthwhile" board memeber nowadays.) - he can debate (even if he does get HoSed sometimes.. so do others) and he contributes to the board in an artistic manner (Which you can't really frown on since it started out as a sci fi board, and this coming from a man who analyzes 40K for a hobby.) Hav's a good choice too because he proves that even fools, if given a chance and if they have patience and listen, can become decent members of the board. That sort of example should be worth something all its own.

Thats about what I've uncovered so far. Its a bit time consuming to go through all this to find stuff, and I'm not sure anyone will be convinced, but what the hell...

~~Another broken link fixed. Don't drink and post! :D Coyote.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Steve seems like a good candidate to me - I might've nominated him earlier myself if I'd seen him around more recently. That said, have you checked that he's willing and able to participate in the senate on a regular basis?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Well he's doing debates, and checks in here on public libraries. however since Since the Senate rules only requires us to check in once a week anyways...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Nominating people --and finding reasons not to nominate them-- is all part of the process. Eventually the mob will decide by vote. Discussions of various merits and demerits should take place in individual threads devoted to that person... not necessarily because of any procedural decree, but simply to prevent the headlong rush to having the Nominations Sticky thread become a 50-page monstrosity of competing babble.

So it is written, so shall it be done.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Well he's doing debates, and checks in here on public libraries. however since Since the Senate rules only requires us to check in once a week anyways...
Actually, that's not the case anymore thankfully. I have full-time net access. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

congrats, I'm glad to hear that.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

After reading the new stuff on Steve, I'm all for him. :)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I think that vote worked well. About a third of the votes (excluding abstentions) were for one of the new options and (IMHO) the final totals probably do more accurately reflect the degree of support for each candidate. Though Steve is popular enough that he almost certainly didn't need the help to beat the 4N (NONE, NEVER, NOWAY, NOHOW) block. :)
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I renominate Starglider based on the evidence previously presented.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Seconded, again based on previous evidence:
Kuroneko wrote:I nominate Starglider.
Various board coding projects, including, but not limited to
-- Fixing corrupt board database,
and several other issues. Naturally, also contributions related to AI topics, e.g.:
--Alternatives to neural nets in AI
--Intelligence based value
As well as various others:
-- Reverse-Engineering
-- How does finding an alien spaceship help research&science?
If anyone worthy has additions to this list, please PM me. (Unfortunately, I've not being paying enough attention lately.)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I nominate RogueIce

he has been a mini mod for almost three years off of my bitch.....er recommendation.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^I'll happily second him.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Starglider has been nominated, seconded, and supported. RogueIce has been nominated and seconded but we need some supporting threads.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Starglider has been nominated, seconded, and supported. RogueIce has been nominated and seconded but we need some supporting threads.

Well that brings up a problem. My nomination of him is based off of his mod skills, in that he's done his job well and quietly, in a private forum. I'm at a loss how to both demonstrate in a linked thread those attributes and even if I could, I could not link them here.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I will also second his mod skills - although I am not a member of that private forum, I do have the privilege of working with him in the Star Wars STGOD and he has done outstanding work there as well.

And I can link to that - The in character thread, the OOC thread. Sadly a lot is done via PM there as well, so I cannot show that.

He is also a very active member in the SDNWorld Redux STGOD.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs