Another mod for Fanfics

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Another mod for Fanfics

Post by Mayabird »

I don't know where Stravo's at or what he's doing (probably important legal stuff) but he's not around. The fanfics forum doesn't have many problems with flamewars or general asshattery, but there are a lot of completed works (and good ones, like many of the TGG stories and Publius's Gotham Nights fic) that are just getting lost and unread as they go off page one. We really should get someone to transfer more of them to the Completed or Cleaned Up subforum so people can keep reading them.

I don't have many suggestions off the top of my head for who might be good except for Steve (Big Steve formerly of SB) if he wants it.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: Another mod for Fanfics

Post by Coyote »

I'll mention something to the Steveman.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Ugh, I must apologize to Noble Ire - I never put the rest of his fic in there. Indeed, I do have to agree with another mod for Fanfics - I know Stravo is very busy.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Count Chocula asked me what the criteria are for being a Mod in Fanfics: maybe a description of the duties would be a good thing.

I haven't been to FF for awhile, but I hear there's quite a backlog of projects there. I haven't heard back from Steve yet.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Well, I volunteered for it precisely so I could do this, and because I think I'd be a genuinely good replacement in the fairly straightforward job of handling the fanfic forum--there isn't much in the way of fighting there, and I'd be happy on request to immediately get cleaned up fanfics up for people to read. It's really up to the administration on when and who gets in there to support/replace Stravo in the role, though, so while the suggestion is greatly appreciated, the Senate's hands are somewhat tied.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Moderation of Fanfics should be pretty easy - aside from the usual gig of quashing flamewars and keeping threads in check and free of spam, the Fanfics Moderator would also gain access to Completed and Cleaned-Up fanfics and be expected to maintain that forum as well, copying or moving threads as necessary. With that in mind, the moderator would likely be able to change the author of a post, so that fics in C&C would be attributed to the proper person.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Marina, Steve, and Publius would all make excellent fanfiction moderators, in my humble opinion.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Could there perhaps also be someone to admit people to the Writer's Guild? I know Red Imperator is also busy, and my application has been in his inbox unread for the better part of a year, and from reading the thread in Fanfics, I know I'm not alone.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Rogue 9 wrote:Could there perhaps also be someone to admit people to the Writer's Guild? I know Red Imperator is also busy, and my application has been in his inbox unread for the better part of a year, and from reading the thread in Fanfics, I know I'm not alone.

It would seem reasonable to give the moderator(s) of the fanfiction forum mod privileges in the Writer's Guild as well.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Marina, I think, would be an excellent choice to moderate Fanfics.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Marina and Publius, as well as Steve, would be good choices too.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Given the quantity of popular fics that need cleaning up and transfer, at least two new mods are likely needed. And if you want me, I'm fine with it. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I can back Steve or Publius(Another Mod for the Mess mwahhaa!)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I'd like to nominate Dutchess of Zeon as a potential new mod for FF as well. She's active not just on the board in general, but she's contributed a few good reads to Fan Fics as well.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Thank you all for your endorsements of my abilities in this regard. I'd suggest directly that there is enough work for Steve and I to share moderatorial duties in fanfics. Since Red Imperator is a supermod and extremely busy elsewhere, letting Stravo concentrate on the Pure Star Trek board seems reasonable, since he's almost never around anyway (or else we'd not be having this discussion), and RI and Stravo are the only two mods assigned to Pure Star Trek (granted it doesn't really need anymore).

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

A bump.

Is anything going to happen for this, or will it get rolled into the "new board-wide mods" deal? While I agree with that, I still think there should be one person who specializes in moving good fics to the completed fanfics subforum, someone who wouldn't be too busy with other more time-dependent duties to check out recommendations from random people.

...heck, it's not modest of me, but I'd even volunteer for it if the other people mentioned can't or won't. I don't have that much going on right now.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Mayabird wrote:A bump.

Is anything going to happen for this, or will it get rolled into the "new board-wide mods" deal?
I've set up Vote threads for the following categories:

General, Board-wide Mods
Fiction Only Mods (both "all Fiction" and "Specific Forum" choices)
The "All-Non-Fiction" area Mods
The "Specific Non-Fiction" choices.

It should be delightfully confusing! :D

The one addressed in this thread --for Fanfics specifically-- would be the "ALL FICTION" vote thread.