Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

Post by Phantasee »

havokeff wrote:Out of curiosity, why is the Coliseum restricted to one debate at a time? And please don't say because of not being able to focus on more than one thread at a time, on a board with thousands of concurrently running topics.
Do you think we have infinite attention span, Havok? What are you, nuts? Spouting off completely sensible ideas like that, didn't your momma teach you anything? Everyone has to wait their turn, that's what the rules say.
XXXI
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

havokeff wrote:Out of curiosity, why is the Coliseum restricted to one debate at a time? And please don't say because of not being able to focus on more than one thread at a time, on a board with thousands of concurrently running topics.
Because two sets of people have yet to come forward asking for two debates at the same time?
Also for scheduling purposes I want to keep a debate ongoing in the Coliseum at all times... which has so far not been possible.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I'm bumping this, as per Bean's suggestion, to declare an

OPEN CHALLENGE

for

COLISEUM DEBATE

on the issue of

BIBLICIST YOUNG-EARTH CREATIONISM versus MATERIALISTIC EVOLUTION.

Namely, using the arguments of presuppositionalist apologetics, I will contend that a Biblicist worldview is inherently superior to a materialist worldview and that, therefore, the account of Creation as depicted and preserved in the book of Genesis must be correct.

Terms (open for revision upon adoption of an opponent):

The debate will consist of three to five rounds, with five days given each contestant to pose each reply. A comment thread may be permitted; it will be upon each contestant's personal honor to not open or examine the comments. The winner of the debate will be judged by the quality of arguments, as dissected in the comments thread.

Why would I adopt such an obviously flawed position? First, arguing in support of a flawed position is a good way to get a strong grasp of the position's inherent weaknesses. Second, using flawed arguments (in this case, presuppositionalist apologetics) is a similarly good way to understand the weaknesses of the arguments and how to exploit them. Third, doing this will generate a lot more buzz than opening a thread in the "Debate Questions" forum, and I want to read plenty of perspectives on why the presuppers' arguments are wrong when I open up the Comments thread afterwards, instead of getting ten or fifteen replies. Fourth, the Coliseum has unfortunately gone unused for a long, long time, and I want to see blood littering the sands, goddamit. Fifth, I want to give someone the chance to win his laurels in the Coliseum - given that I am adopting the incorrect side, it shouldn't be as intimidating to any relative newbies as if I had said, "Anyone want to argue for YECism?" And sixth, as has been said elsewhere, "arguing" with someone who agrees with you is the equivalent of mental masturbation.

So, Stardestroyer.net, who will oppose me?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

CHALLENGE TO STARGLIDER

for

COLISEUM DEBATE

on the issue of

U.S. AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS. MORE CONFIDENCE IN MILITARY DEFENCES AND RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CONFIDENCE AND MILITARISM IN THE SPHERE OF NUCLEAR DETERRENCY.

The challenge is open at all times if Starglider feels N&P is not an appropriate venue for him. In case he agrees, he can formulate his points in the opening post if he be so willing, if not, I shall open the debate. That is better than the trolling and time-wasting in N&P.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

A different question to Stas and others. What would be the problem in a mod going into your current debate, splitting out your posts into the Coli and just closing it off to you two?

No, it's not as highly stylized, but the forum would get some work.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I'm willing to debate anyone on the role of the christian church in antiquity and late antiquity, no matter the point they take.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Stas Bush wrote:CHALLENGE TO STARGLIDER
That would be an interesting debate, but unfortunately I'm not qualified for it - I don't have any qualifications in the field, or any personal authority, and although I am a keen reader the history of the cold war has been a pretty tiny fraction of my intake. That said, even if I was, I'd only take it on if your stated position was that the USSR was the more virtuous superpower in the cold war, because your arguments do not make sense unless interpreted as rationalisations to that end. Good luck on finding another member for that debate though, and if anyone wants to debate something AI related, I am up for it (given some scheduling flexibility).
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Starglider wrote:I'd only take it on if your stated position was that the USSR was the more virtuous superpower in the cold war
I doubt I ever expressed such a position. It's a strawman you manufactured. Moreover, the whole talk about the USSR is patently unrelated to the main issue which was the relationship between nuclear defence, offence, and deterrency.

However, since you lack knowledge, I think I could offer the same topic to Shep (he wanted to participate):
U.S. AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS. MORE CONFIDENCE IN MILITARY DEFENCES AND RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CONFIDENCE AND MILITARISM IN THE SPHERE OF NUCLEAR DETERRENCY.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

What about debating Axis Kast about it, since you two are already going at it? The McNamara thread is no longer about the dead guy so why not just formalize it?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If Axis wants to debate the topic outlined above, why not. But not the sidetracks about "political practice of Soviet foreign relations", I'm afraid, which never was a subject. I feel our debate is ending anyway.

Assalti Frontali
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Surlethe wrote:I'm bumping this, as per Bean's suggestion, to declare an

OPEN CHALLENGE

for

COLISEUM DEBATE

on the issue of

BIBLICIST YOUNG-EARTH CREATIONISM versus MATERIALISTIC EVOLUTION.

Namely, using the arguments of presuppositionalist apologetics, I will contend that a Biblicist worldview is inherently superior to a materialist worldview and that, therefore, the account of Creation as depicted and preserved in the book of Genesis must be correct.

Terms (open for revision upon adoption of an opponent):

The debate will consist of three to five rounds, with five days given each contestant to pose each reply. A comment thread may be permitted; it will be upon each contestant's personal honor to not open or examine the comments. The winner of the debate will be judged by the quality of arguments, as dissected in the comments thread.

Why would I adopt such an obviously flawed position? First, arguing in support of a flawed position is a good way to get a strong grasp of the position's inherent weaknesses. Second, using flawed arguments (in this case, presuppositionalist apologetics) is a similarly good way to understand the weaknesses of the arguments and how to exploit them. Third, doing this will generate a lot more buzz than opening a thread in the "Debate Questions" forum, and I want to read plenty of perspectives on why the presuppers' arguments are wrong when I open up the Comments thread afterwards, instead of getting ten or fifteen replies. Fourth, the Coliseum has unfortunately gone unused for a long, long time, and I want to see blood littering the sands, goddamit. Fifth, I want to give someone the chance to win his laurels in the Coliseum - given that I am adopting the incorrect side, it shouldn't be as intimidating to any relative newbies as if I had said, "Anyone want to argue for YECism?" And sixth, as has been said elsewhere, "arguing" with someone who agrees with you is the equivalent of mental masturbation.

So, Stardestroyer.net, who will oppose me?

I will happily take your challenge, if no one else wants to.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Surlethe wrote:*snip challenge*
Well, if for some reason Aly can't or won't do this, I guess I'll give it a shot. Since you're issuing the challenge, will you have the initial burden of proof?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Yes, I'd probably have the initial burden of proof. I and whomever is elected to oppose me would have to work out the details, though.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Surlethe wrote:Yes, I'd probably have the initial burden of proof. I and whomever is elected to oppose me would have to work out the details, though.
Heh. Even if you do man, I might have to, you know, actually work at this one. Pull out the philosophy texts and such. It will be fun
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

So, is Surlethe going to choose someone for this shindig or what? Just curious since I haven't seen anything on it in a while.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

he has two options... One individual who very consciously holds the position which he is opposing :)

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I figured that we could throw together some sort of vote. Also, I wasn't going to act on it for about two weeks: vacation to visit family means I'll be scarce for a while.
F. Douglass
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Dominus Atheos wrote:So apparently the consensus in the IvP moratorium threads in the HoC and Senate was do a coliseum debate, so con we get some volunteers for that? No one wants to see Shep vs Elfdart again, but we have several mods/senators on both sides of the issue. How about Coyote vs Edi, or Ender vs Keeven? I'm really interested in reading a debate on this topic, and I'm sure others are too.
Agreed. Even if no consensus is reached, it will demonstrate once and for all why the moratorium exists in a single comprehensive thread that will be easy to direct newcomers to, and it will give us as good an opportunity as any to work out what the terms to rule a debate in the Coliseum a draw, undecided, etc, might be.