Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

Post by Havok »

Alyeska wrote:
havokeff wrote:
Alyeska wrote:The Coliseum does not exist to suit your whims Hav. Live with it.
And I am not arguing about the Coliseum at all. I like the idea, and I like the format. You guys are really missing the point or are just not reading.

Coliseum debate=Good
No talking during the debate=Bad
You are talking about the Coliseum. Discussion threads are openly visible and taint the entire process. There is a reason why public viewing of debates requires silence. You don't start a loud discussion in the middle of public debates.
Yes, but there is a distinct difference between what we have here and and an audience attended debate. In order for the participants to be "interrupted" here they have to actively seek it out. Then not only read it, but choose to participate in it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

It is not hard to see how some people might consider that when responding to someone else, especially in the context of a Coliseum debate discussion thread.
Again why does that matter on the forum? Why are you even looking at the dicussion thread? In the debate non of that matters. Its the debate itself in the Coliseum forum that you focus on and it does not matter how you opponant responds to you in that thread
In any case, this was a personal thing between me and Hav. As long as he will admit that he was making an Ad Hominim about my personality founded not in fact and irrelevant to the point I was making and apologize,
Do you know how pompus and stuck up your own arse you sound by saying that? He responded to you and his insults were mearly flames which I thought were allowed for. In his mind he see you as what he said in that PM. He was not debating you about your personalty but responding to you.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Bluewolf wrote:
It is not hard to see how some people might consider that when responding to someone else, especially in the context of a Coliseum debate discussion thread.
Again why does that matter on the forum? Why are you even looking at the dicussion thread? In the debate non of that matters. Its the debate itself in the Coliseum forum that you focus on and it does not matter how you opponant responds to you in that thread
I'm saying that some people are going to take that consideration, and chose to respond to the people in the discussion thread like Volly did, and drag out the debate. Unless you want to ban the debaters from entering their own discussion thread, you are going to invite debaters that take this as an excuse to drag the debate to a standstill. Have you read the thread?
In any case, this was a personal thing between me and Hav. As long as he will admit that he was making an Ad Hominim about my personality founded not in fact and irrelevant to the point I was making and apologize,
Do you know how pompus and stuck up your own arse you sound by saying that? He responded to you and his insults were mearly flames which I thought were allowed for. In his mind he see you as what he said in that PM. He was not debating you about your personalty but responding to you.
If you read the part about where he accused me of whining about being unpopular and using that to dismiss my point about that being one of the possible concerns Volly had in mind when he entered his own discussion thread, you might understand that it was a little more then mere flames, idiot. That was both irrelevant to my point and an attack he has made in the past that is simply untrue. I have the right to point out the fallacy, and the right to ask for an apology for the personal attack.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

On Another note our next scheduled debate has been pushed back a month and our ongoing one is placed on hold. Which means the schedule is open again.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You are an idiot. The "Whaaaa I'm unpopular" remark was not directed towards you, but the stupid fucking argument you were making on Volly's behalf.

Edit: Damnit you fascist. :P The above was meant towards Formless's last post. Not yours.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

havokeff wrote:You are an idiot. The "Whaaaa I'm unpopular" remark was not directed towards you, but the stupid fucking argument you were making on Volly's behalf.

Edit: Damnit you fascist. :P The above was meant towards Formless's last post. Not yours.
Fine, I'll take that in place of an apology. Issue dropped, that is actually an argument against my point, which was, for the record, a devils advocate argument.

That said, I don't see any reason to exclude people who think like that from Coliseum debates by allowing discussion threads to happen concurrently with debate threads. In fact, I suspect that that kind of person might be more willing to participate in a Coliseum debate than in the rest of the board, especially because of the whole "break up dogpiles" function of the forum.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Mr Bean wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote: And the Coliseum was meant to have awesome sights for the spectators to see and be amazed at. It's meant for discourses that get other people interested and talking about stuff. That was the idea when it was brought up and implemented some time ago.
And then we did jack all with it. Leading to me taking power via declaration and exercising dictatorial control over the forum.
You will rule with an iron fist and a heart of gold.
As you may have noted, the rest of the staff is fine with my control of it. Since taking control we are already on our second debate with it with a third one in the coming weeks and I've already gotten PM's from people interested in a dozen more. So look forward to more activity in the coming weeks.
Why didn't the interested peoples post in this nice thread? :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Mr Bean wrote:On Another note our next scheduled debate has been pushed back a month and our ongoing one is placed on hold. Which means the schedule is open again.
Could this mean we could do Triol's and Darth Hoth's debate on whether the Jedi are bad or not?
Visitor of five museum ships.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Coiler wrote:
Could this mean we could do Triol's and Darth Hoth's debate on whether the Jedi are bad or not?
That was the next upcoming debate I was set for. I sat here yesterday thinking I had three solid weeks before I had to find more lions and lo and behold, all of them call sick on the same day. The Jedi debate is pushed back a month and the Roman debate is on indefinite hold.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Like I said, I'm up for debates on the topics I posted above.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Surlethe wrote:Like I said, I'm up for debates on the topics I posted above.
And I quote

Why is my suggestion not on here you might ask?
Simple because it did not catch my fancy. Or the long answer is, your debate topic was too vague, it won't fit in a subject line, and or you did not make clear which side you intended to take in your post.

Try again I know you want to debate something but it's unclear which side and no one's accepted. Both clear requirements for the Coliseum.

*Edit, and by that I mean Surlethe, you need to repost what you want to debate on, and more importantly call someone out to debate you(And have them agree and set a date). Once you do that, your gold, until then your nothing.

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Bean, you're right. I'm sorry about that. I'll an open challenge in the morning with more details.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

It is my understanding that member Darth Hoth won't be able to have a debate in any immediate future, so I'd like to open the possibility of someone else having the Jedi morality debate with me, if anyone is willing. If no one is, I'll wait until Darth Hoth schedule allows for such a debate (in the case he is still interested, that is).
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am once again throwing out an open challenge regarding a debate about a historical topic.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

So apparently the consensus in the IvP moratorium threads in the HoC and Senate was do a coliseum debate, so con we get some volunteers for that? No one wants to see Shep vs Elfdart again, but we have several mods/senators on both sides of the issue. How about Coyote vs Edi, or Ender vs Keeven? I'm really interested in reading a debate on this topic, and I'm sure others are too.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Okay, an open challenge: I am willing to debate against the existence and legality of labor unions. Would anybody like to take me up on that?
F. Douglass
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Surlethe wrote:Okay, an open challenge: I am willing to debate against the existence and legality of labor unions. Would anybody like to take me up on that?
It's not a subject I've had a lot of experience or interest in, but if nobody else more inclined wants to, I'll have a go.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Zuul wrote:
Surlethe wrote:Okay, an open challenge: I am willing to debate against the existence and legality of labor unions. Would anybody like to take me up on that?
It's not a subject I've had a lot of experience or interest in, but if nobody else more inclined wants to, I'll have a go.
Cool. When do you want to start?
F. Douglass
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'll have to go back on my earlier statement and say "wait till I've done my uni essays and worked all these covering shifts". My brain will not be at its best and my heart won't be in it.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I would like to debate Black Admiral regarding Beatty's performance at Jutland, and would like it to be under the following conditions:

Similar salvo system that was used in previous debates, with me making the opening statement.

Civility to be maintained throughout.

No commentary thread until the debate is finished.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Me and Black Admiral have agreed to have me post my opening statement in our Jutland debate on Wednesday the 14th, if a mod would be so kind as to grant us both Coliseum forum access at that point.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Coiler wrote:Me and Black Admiral have agreed to have me post my opening statement in our Jutland debate on Wednesday the 14th, if a mod would be so kind as to grant us both Coliseum forum access at that point.
Not quite how it works coiler. I'll drop both of you a PM later today to explain the process.

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Zuul wrote:I'll have to go back on my earlier statement and say "wait till I've done my uni essays and worked all these covering shifts". My brain will not be at its best and my heart won't be in it.
Completely understandable. If/when you're up for it, let me know, and I'll let you know how my semester's going.
F. Douglass
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mr Bean wrote:
Coiler wrote:Me and Black Admiral have agreed to have me post my opening statement in our Jutland debate on Wednesday the 14th, if a mod would be so kind as to grant us both Coliseum forum access at that point.
Not quite how it works coiler. I'll drop both of you a PM later today to explain the process.
What, the Admins didn't take up on the idea I sent you? Or did you just never pass it on? :(
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Out of curiosity, why is the Coliseum restricted to one debate at a time? And please don't say because of not being able to focus on more than one thread at a time, on a board with thousands of concurrently running topics.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)