Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I thought I'd post a suggestion for a Coliseum debate, and see who else wanted to add their suggestions. :D

My idea was a debate on the value of human specifically (as opposed to robotic) space exploration. This is an issue I'm personally very interested in, and I'd like to see it as a formal debate.

I also feel that this topic is one that hasn't really be done to death, and while not especially contentious, is one where we can probably find some disagreement. Finally, it lends itself to the level of scientific knowledge and the futuristic focus of this board.

Note: if asked I would be willing to debate the affirmative, though I do not pretend to be the individual most capable of debating this (not by a long shot) and I'd probably prefer not to do so until Christmas holidays.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Suggestions for Coliseum debates.

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'd love to see Stas go on about Russian geopolitical stuff against someone. Not Kane Starkiller, as he sucks.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Why not Kane? He's one of the civil and reasonable opponents, not some sort of raving bloke that we had on this board some time earlier.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I'd love to see Stas go on about Russian geopolitical stuff against someone. Not Kane Starkiller, as he sucks.
Better yet, let them argue against their stance.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I will debate anyone who thinks that the BCS as it is should stand and does not believe in the idea of a NCAA Football Playoff! Also willing to debate on more subjective things like which Ninja Turtle was the best Ninja Turtle etc...etc...
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I'd love to see Stas go on about Russian geopolitical stuff against someone. Not Kane Starkiller, as he sucks.
Though its not a debate I get very involved in (probably due to lack of knowledge), I second this idea. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

ray245 wrote:
What would having Stas argue for American ABMs in Poland and IRBMs in Turkey, and Kane arguing against perestroika and glasnost in favor of the re-installment of the Stasi in the German Democratic Republic achieve? I mean, sure, they both would have to wear goatees, but so what?
Stas wrote:Why not Kane? He's one of the civil and reasonable opponents, not some sort of raving bloke that we had on this board some time earlier.
Okay, he'd be cool then. He just came off as kind of brick-wallish in his anti-Russianism. I've been itching for a Coliseum debate on Russia ever since that other guy in that other thread, I think back during the Georgian conflict.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
ray245 wrote:
What would having Stas argue for American ABMs in Poland and IRBMs in Turkey, and Kane arguing against perestroika and glasnost in favor of the re-installment of the Stasi in the German Democratic Republic achieve? I mean, sure, they both would have to wear goatees, but so what?
It will be fun and interesting to watch.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

A while ago, one of the proposed topics for a Russia debate was "Are Russia and the United States rivals?"

The idea behind it was that you can get a good idea for how one will respond to a lot of the issues in US-Russian relations based on how they interpret that question. Since there isn't really a consensus on how US-Russian relations should be approached in either country, it might be a good place to start before getting into a more nuanced issue like arms control or the crisis over Georgia.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Right now, we've got the Bubble-vs-Alyrium round coming next week, the Intelligent Design debate with Bubble Boy serving as a Devil's Advocate.

There's another debate scheduled for the end of December/Early January, I can't remember what that entails... :oops:

The "Are Russia & the US Rivals" is a good idea; one has also been proposed about "Jedi Morality", presumably looking over such things as the Jedi being a 'guardian of peace and justice' while, for example, using child soldiers.

So even as we are forming the standards, we are developing a full plate. :D
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I wouldn't mind doing one on US immigration policy, if anybody's interested.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

There is a historical debate going on as well.

Btw, if we are going to ensure the program schedule is being followed, perhaps a scientific debate motion should be made soon?

Proposal for January scientific debate: This house believe that acupuncture can cure certain illness. ( As always, the government can set up the context of that debate and define the meaning of that motion).
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

ray245 wrote:There is a historical debate going on as well.

Btw, if we are going to ensure the program schedule is being followed, perhaps a scientific debate motion should be made soon?

Proposal for January scientific debate: This house believe that acupuncture can cure certain illness. ( As always, the government can set up the context of that debate and define the meaning of that motion).
Right now, it looks like things are booked, or developing momentum for being booked.

Trust me, soon there'll be some lag months where we can go to the scheduled ideas; I wager around summer, as school participation drops off, we'll see less momentum and more of an opening for scheduled debates.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Coyote wrote:There's another debate scheduled for the end of December/Early January, I can't remember what that entails... :oops:
The Duchess and me will have a lovely chat about the grand strategy of the Roman Empire as proposed by Luttwak, with me arguing against his ideas about the defense of the Empire and her arguing in favor of them. Of course, that may be subject to change if her or my workload increases, but we will definitely get to it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Coyote wrote:Right now, we've got the Bubble-vs-Alyrium round coming next week, the Intelligent Design debate with Bubble Boy serving as a Devil's Advocate.
I'll pop in here and mention that my beginning arguement is pretty much wrapped up and now I'm just proof reading and tidying it up to the best of my ability.

So there won't be any issues of me getting it up, barring anything serious like data loss or real life problems.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Bubble Boy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Right now, we've got the Bubble-vs-Alyrium round coming next week, the Intelligent Design debate with Bubble Boy serving as a Devil's Advocate.
I'll pop in here and mention that my beginning arguement is pretty much wrapped up and now I'm just proof reading and tidying it up to the best of my ability.

So there won't be any issues of me getting it up, barring anything serious like data loss or real life problems.
I suppose I should get mine written up then. Break out the Karl popper and the !Science!
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I suppose I should get mine written up then. Break out the Karl popper and the !Science!
Are we both making opening arguements?

I was under the impression the 'victim' of these debates makes the first arguements, upon which our 'hero' begins to ravage them?
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Bubble Boy wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:I suppose I should get mine written up then. Break out the Karl popper and the !Science!

I was under the impression the 'victim' of these debates makes the first arguements, upon which our 'hero' begins to ravage them?
Either way works for me ;)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:

Either way works for me ;)
It would make more sense, I'd think. Otherwise we're needlessly doubling the amount of posting to accomplish the same goal.

Besides, I wrote mine up first and I'm eagerly looking forward to your attack on it. :D
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Looks like Bubble will be opening the Attack Round! Lookin' forward to it!

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Coyote wrote:Looks like Bubble will be opening the Attack Round! Lookin' forward to it!
Given tomorrow is deadline day and my first post is ready to go, I'll leave it to you Coyote to inform when and where to submit my first post?

Or will tomorrow merely be the time I have access and can post the opening arguement in the Coliseum?
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

You should open your first round in the Coliseum-- I believe you have access already..?

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Coyote wrote:You should open your first round in the Coliseum-- I believe you have access already..?
Not yet from what I can tell, but then it's only 11:40 PM for me. I'll check back tomorrow. :)
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Bubble Boy wrote:
Coyote wrote:You should open your first round in the Coliseum-- I believe you have access already..?
Not yet from what I can tell, but then it's only 11:40 PM for me. I'll check back tomorrow. :)
Note: Guess I should've actually read the announcements in the Coliseum. One of the staff will be opening the thread to get things started.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I thought I'd post a suggestion for a Coliseum debate, and see who else wanted to add their suggestions. :D
Anal sex vs. vaginal sex. Because once in a while we should have a fun debate for entertainment purposes & nothing else.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P