Independent Finland is now 100 years old.

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Independent Finland is now 100 years old.

Post by Lord Revan »

As the title said Finland became independent on the 6th of december of 1917, while I'm writing this a day late (it's the 7th here in Finland when I right this).

While the Republic of Finland only dates back to post WWI that was due a civil/indepence war (in addition to being one hardest conflicts to name properly it was one the black marks in finnish history well it and the aftermath).

I put this here instead of the news section as to non-finns this is more of historical curiosity then actual news.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Independent Finland is now 100 years old.

Post by Broomstick »

You still get a "happy nation's birthday" from me.

Do Finns make a big deal of the anniversary, or are they more laid back about it?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Independent Finland is now 100 years old.

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-07 12:26am You still get a "happy nation's birthday" from me.

Do Finns make a big deal of the anniversary, or are they more laid back about it?
it's been all over our media for few months but in a finnish way, so a bit of both I'd say. It's quite a big deal to us but the celebrations have not been really in your face either. For the most part anyway but some major landmarks were lit blue/white (the colors of the finnish flag).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n