Religions

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Religions

Post by Rob Wilson »

you want to discuss religious matters then here's the place for you, if a particular thread gets overrun with Religious fighting, then point them here, where they can play without breaking anyone elses toys.

Enjoy... poor word choice there me thinks. :P
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

cont. from other thread:
That would rather be the point of the Resurrection, wouldn't it? Because how could Jesus be resurrected if he did not die first? And that death could come from any source - an errant pebble, a disease... or perhaps a treacherous disciple.
Resurrection? I don't recall their being any concrete evidence of Jesus actually being resurrected.
This argument depends on a sola Scriptura interpretation of the Bible - i.e. that the only books referred to in scripture are those which we now possess as Scripture. We know this to be false - Jesus and the Apostles refer to books which were known as late as the third and fourth century but have been lost since then.
How can you assume, without them even existing anymore, or reading them, that that they would in anyway back up Jesus's claim that Moses wrote about him?
Last edited by Icehawk on 2002-07-04 11:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Icehawk wrote:Resurrection? I don't recall their being any concrete evidence of Jesus actually being resurrected.
Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, Icehawk, if you can't accept the Resurrection for the sake of constructing an argument regarding it, then there's not much point in discussing exegesis with you, is there?
Last edited by Iceberg on 2002-07-04 11:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

On Moses:

Moses spoke of the Messiah.

Jesus was the Messiah (or at least he said he was, the Apostles believed that he was so strongly that they went to their deaths rather than deny him, and modern Christians believe that he was).

Therefore, if Moses spoke of the Messiah and Jesus was the Messiah, then Moses spoke of Jesus.

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

If somebody asserts that they can sum up a religion in one sentence, or a nice-sounding sound bite, chances are they're trying to feed you some of this. Hold out for the real stuff.

Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Therefore, if Moses spoke of the Messiah and Jesus was the Messiah, then Moses spoke of Jesus.
Jesus claimed Moses wrote of him. That is the issue at hand the website was dealing with. Where? Where is this writing of Moses referring to Jesus?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Better move my post in the URL thread here....
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Franc28 wrote:
[John] 6:70 Jesus chose "a devil" for an apostle. Oh well, everyone makes mistakes.
The "devil" Jesus is referring to in this passage is Judas Iscariot. This is just plain an example of failing to read in-context for the sake of nitpicking, since there HAD to be a betrayer (Judas) for the prophesy to be fulfilled.
So he did choose a devil for an apostle. You have failed to point out the mistake, just tried to make it look better.
He was pointing out that it wasn't a mistake in the first place. Jesus was supposed to choose a traitor.
And God could have just changed the "prophecy" so he did not have to choose a devil (Judas). You are committing the common fallacy of limiting your god.
How is it "limiting God"? Why would God change the prophecy? Explain these things, and how it is "limiting" God by saying he didn't change the prophecy when he could have, since an obvious variable is whether he would want to or not.
Iceberg wrote:John wrote his Gospel close to the end of the 1st century, and it would have been useless for him to write down a "chapter and verse" which wouldn't yet exist for three more centuries.
And here I thought the Bible was timeless.
The most common version of the Bible today is the King James version, compiled by order of King James I of England (also King James IV of Scotland, this was in the time before they unified under the banner of the United Kingdom) in the early 17th Century. About, oh, sixteen hundred fucking years after the events that most of the New Testament refers to! Sixteen hundred years for writings to get lost or altered. And, to add more into it, it had been translated from Hebrew to Greek and Latin to other languages and English, and in translation you can lose more meaning in the text as the translators find the proper terms in the output language to relay with the input language material they would be using.

That is, of course, why the fundamentalist idea of "Biblical perfection" is a load of horseshit.
The Onion had a good article that lampooned on that. The Bible was written by desert dwellers, and about all it's good for is tell us what desert dwellers thought was "cool". It's completely valueless scientifically or morally.
Using the Onion to back up your argument shows just how weak and pathetic it is. The Onion is a fucking satire site, not a legitimate source. It'd be like, I dunno, Trekkies using the DITL or Fivers using the B5Tech website in vs. debates. Of course, the Onion doesn't pretend to be legitimate, so it's not as bad as DITL, B5Tech, trueorigins, and other such sites.

Answer my questions.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Jesus was the Messiah (or at least he said he was, the Apostles believed that he was so strongly that they went to their deaths rather than deny him, and modern Christians believe that he was).
Sorry, but the willingness to die for someone doesn't equate to validity, if that's what you're implying. All it takes is a con artist and a bunch of gullible people, like ... say scientifically uneducated religious zealots back during the beginning of the millennium?
I don't see what this proves. There's no evidence that Jesus was the messiah for the Jews, other than the hearsay in the New Testament, which was written by <surprise!> followers of Jesus!

As I understand it, the concept of Jesus being a messiah was borrowed from old Greek religions in order to convert the people of Greece, and it was not originally in Christianity, much like virtually every other element of the religion. It combines human sacrifice, monotheism, polytheism, a vengeful god, a merciful god and old Greek and Roman rituals all into a hodgepodge of contradiction, questionable beliefs open to virtually any interpretation you wish to subscribe to it, making it the most dangerous thing that's ever happened to this planet.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

The irony's so thick you could cut it with a lightsaber...

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Religion huh?
Don't care for it personally, thats all.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

The irony's so thick you could cut it with a lightsaber...
:? :? :?

Concession Accepted.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

:roll: That was SO predictable.

Perhaps, Icehawk, you'd like to explain how a person who claims to be "rational" can get so damned irrational when somebody else believes in something different from them. Irrational, confrontational and angry, as if somebody else's beliefs constitute a threat to oneself (hmm, I know I've heard this song and dance somewhere before...). It's not as if there was a problem before somebody brought up the damned SAB. You asked where its exegesis was problematic - I answered the question.

Let's get one thing straight here - exegeting a text does not mean that the text is factually correct. We can exegete ancient Greek myths and discern modern meanings from them just fine, even while knowing that they are myths and not factually correct. So to nitpick exegesis on the Bible (or to exegete the Bible) on the grounds that the events described may not be (or in the case of the SAB, are not) factually correct is a non-starter. You tried to nitpick me on the grounds of questioning the Resurrection - in terms of Biblical exegesis, it is not even an appropriate question to ask, because we are interpreting the Resurrection INTRA-TEXTURALLY! It's like trying to say that Alderaan was never destroyed because it never really existed - in the real world it may be true but in context of Star Wars, it's a ludicrous statement, and only an idiot or somebody with an axe to grind would bring it up.

And all this still doesn't change the fact that you, Franc28 and now Durandal are or have been acting VERY irrationally. This started because I dared to question the interpretation of somebody who obviously had an axe to grind with the text he was interpreting (which is a very sensical thing to do in any context). I would do the same to somebody posting a creationist misinterpretation/hatchet job on the work of the late Dr. Stephen Jay Gould.

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

For the love of Spam, can we PLEASE drop this "Concession Accepted" crap? There's such a thing as running a joke into the ground, buckaroos.
The Great and Malignant
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

SPOOFE wrote:For the love of Spam, can we PLEASE drop this "Concession Accepted" crap? There's such a thing as running a joke into the ground, buckaroos.
Concession accepted :mrgreen:

Found it on SB...
I wonder if Lord Wong will find it funny?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

That picture makes Mike look like a member of the Lump Club.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Durandal wrote:That picture makes Mike look like a member of the Lump Club.
I think that would be putting it lightly, he looks like he's enjoyed a few too many Krusty Burgers fortified with pure fat...no offense Mike but that shot on that picture just doesn't look good.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Augh! Give him a neck!
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

In all fairness, the guy does shoot lightning out of his fingertips pretty well. I'd cut him some slack if I were you, out of fear if not anything else.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Sorry for jumping in late. It seems that this thread is carrying over from another one, correct?

Are people here arguing over the validity of the Bible?

Anyhow, I don't think Christians will necessarily convince non-believers in the validity of the Bible purely by scientific means since believing in God, the Word of God (the Bible) I truly believe is an act of faith. I think that is what is irritating to scientists, since belief in God doesn't appear to be rational.

I hope my comment are generally in line with what is being said here.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

What i dont get is how a person can put so much faith in a book written hundreds of years ago, that has been changed hundreds of times, and that can be handely disproven by science. Cristian are willing to kill for these beliefs, beliefs that are responsible for millions of deaths.

If you havent noticed the ten commandments most commonly used are no more than a means too control people.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Not Christians....Psychos kill people in the name of God.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

True...now. Back in the old days it was the average christians duty to torture/kill heretics, nonbelievers, jews, muslims ect. The catholic church right now with the abstinence campaign is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths in africa because they refuse to provide education about contraception. So in a way killing in the name of god still occures
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The catholic church right now with the abstinence campaign is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths in africa because they refuse to provide education about contraception.

How is it the Catholic church's responsibility to provide education about contraception?
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

What i dont get is how a person can put so much faith in a book written hundreds of years ago, that has been changed hundreds of times, and that can be handely disproven by science. Cristian are willing to kill for these beliefs, beliefs that are responsible for millions of deaths.
Umm...because people aren't logical all the time I suppose. :)

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.