Laws of Physics

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Laws of Physics

Post by Rob Wilson »

Which particular violation of the Laws of Physics in any context (not just sci-fi, but Pseudoscience like Creationism etc) really annoys you?

For instance the fact that apparently ST tractor beams don't follow Any Newtonian law (No force exerted along the beam affects the Projectors, the power in is 100% of the power used against the object yet we can see the beam, a narrow beam doesn't punch through the object it's pushing/pulling)

So what about you guys?
BlueExcalibur
Redshirt

Post by BlueExcalibur »

Nothing I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: Warp drive.
Last edited by BlueExcalibur on 2002-07-03 10:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have all the answers, but I never said they were right."
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

There's obviously the creationist pseudoscience, but I got really bored of that subject after hearing the same old shit over and over. "You can't add genetic material. Evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics bla bla bla."

My latest pseudoscientific interest comes in the form of quantum mystics, who claim that quantum mechanics proves the existence of "Chi." None of the purveyors of this claim have actually used any of the underlying principles; they've just thrown the word "electron" around a few times. They probably don't even know what a Feinmann Diagram is, or the difference between alpha and beta decay or even how to do the simplest Newtonian mechanical problem.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Second law of thermodynamics.

'nuff said.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Durandal wrote: My latest pseudoscientific interest comes in the form of quantum mystics, who claim that quantum mechanics proves the existence of "Chi." None of the purveyors of this claim have actually used any of the underlying principles; they've just thrown the word "electron" around a few times. They probably don't even know what a Feinmann Diagram is, or the difference between alpha and beta decay or even how to do the simplest Newtonian mechanical problem.
You're taking the piss, Surely. Mind you I'm surprised no-one has tried to use Quantum(tm) to explain away talking to the dead.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

I bet Berman just read that and is preparing an entire episode based on a malfunctioning Quantum Sewage Overflow Containment unit and Johnny Mosely.

Post by Guest »

Durandal wrote:Feinmann
It's Feynman, named after Richard Feynman

Post by Guest »

IDMR wrote:Second law of thermodynamics.

'nuff said.
Yeah. Damn those heat engines with their bloody 110% efficiency. Why shouldn't we have them!!? :wink:
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Damn. Must I keep getting logged-out like that? Ah well.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Laws of Physics

Post by Enlightenment »

Rob Wilson wrote:Which particular violation of the Laws of Physics in any context (not just sci-fi, but Pseudoscience like Creationism etc) really annoys you?
The most annoying denial of reality I see in space SF is the 'must keep engines going to keep moving' falacy. It would be nice to see at least one SF universe use a real space flight model--complete with orbital dynamics--rather than the halfbaked airplane metaphores everyone seems to stick with.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Enlightenment wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:Which particular violation of the Laws of Physics in any context (not just sci-fi, but Pseudoscience like Creationism etc) really annoys you?
The most annoying denial of reality I see in space SF is the 'must keep engines going to keep moving' falacy. It would be nice to see at least one SF universe use a real space flight model--complete with orbital dynamics--rather than the halfbaked airplane metaphores everyone seems to stick with.
B5 made a pretty good stab at it for the Earthforce Fighters and ships.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Enlightenment wrote: The most annoying denial of reality I see in space SF is the 'must keep engines going to keep moving' falacy. It would be nice to see at least one SF universe use a real space flight model--complete with orbital dynamics--rather than the halfbaked airplane metaphores everyone seems to stick with.
'Cept for the battle tactics.

And the ion engines with enough thrust to accelerate ships at >1G.

And the lack of orbital dynamics.

And the <cough> unusual mass ratios.

And the ...
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Enlightenment wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Enlightenment wrote: The most annoying denial of reality I see in space SF is the 'must keep engines going to keep moving' falacy. It would be nice to see at least one SF universe use a real space flight model--complete with orbital dynamics--rather than the halfbaked airplane metaphores everyone seems to stick with.
'Cept for the battle tactics.

And the ion engines with enough thrust to accelerate ships at >1G.

And the lack of orbital dynamics.

And the <cough> unusual mass ratios.

And the ...
I said they made a good stab at it, I didn't say they got it right :)

However it's better than 99% of the shows and movies out there's interpretation.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Which particular violation of the Laws of Physics in any context (not just sci-fi, but Pseudoscience like Creationism etc) really annoys you?"

Subspace.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Enlightenment wrote:
Go read "Starship Troopers" or the Hope series by David Feintuch ("Midshipman's Hope," "Challenger's Hope," "Prisoner's Hope," etc) Both of them use normal old "fire and you keep going" physics.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Telepathy
NapoleonGH
Jedi Master

Post by NapoleonGH »

gotta go with the use of black holes as ways to generate wormholes in scifi, if you tried that, you would end up in quite a few pieces
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Any action adventure movie/anime where the expendable munitions yeild exceeds the total mass of the indiviuals/ships engaged in battle.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

the way people will grouse abt cracks in the event horizon violating mathematical definitions, while at the same time accepting temporal rifts, or not thinking about the connectedness of Euclidean space. It's not all Minkowski and Einstein. Consider that if there IS a crack in the EH, it just may be a dimensional gateway, wormholes not needed. Yeah, baby, yeah!
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I dislike organic technology, and those sudden evolutions into mysical energy beings.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

The sudden evolution into energy beings brain bug is a result of a misinterpretation of the events in the Lensman series. During this series of books, an entire race of highly evolved beings, basically composed of pure mental energy, are working to create a race superior to them in order to take over as the guardians of civilisation. Because the final step occurs suddenly in one generation, people tend to gloss over the billions of years of breeding program required for the final result.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

yeah, it wouldn't be the result of watching Star Trek or anything like that
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?