Space technology that can help us preserve our environment on Earth

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

jerry66
Redshirt

Space technology that can help us preserve our environment on Earth

Post by jerry66 »

Have you heard about a special type of microsatellites that can observe environmental changes like sea level or melting of glaciers? With the help of that technology, scientists can approach the solution how to avoid global warming. Moreover, there is even a special type of sats that can track rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poachers.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Space technology that can help us preserve our environment on Earth

Post by Solauren »

Yes, and they are being used.

It's helping, but not as much as it could as long as people in power (including corporations) ignore it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

You can put a million sunshades in high earth orbit to decrease insolation and partially remediate global warming.

Even pretty thick foil comes in at under a tonne/km2. A million tonnes (10,000 SpaceX Starship flights or one single 100-m asteroid) would lower solar insolation by 1%. The trick is deployment and stabilization, which needless to say is non-trivial.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

chimericoncogene wrote: 2021-04-21 12:59pm You can put a million sunshades in high earth orbit to decrease insolation and partially remediate global warming.

Even pretty thick foil comes in at under a tonne/km2. A million tonnes (10,000 SpaceX Starship flights or one single 100-m asteroid) would lower solar insolation by 1%. The trick is deployment and stabilization, which needless to say is non-trivial.
That man solar cells would be better, since they'd produce electricity. Problem would be getting the power back down cheaply with current technology.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
jerry66
Redshirt

Post by jerry66 »

There is special type of sats that can do a lot of useful stuff for our environment. For example, I`d like to mention one of those type that can track rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poarchers. Using Satellites to Detect Elephants from Orbit is very useful and has a lot of advantages for these animals From stopping illegal hunting activities, to determining population densities or even help develop sustainable habitats for endangered species, satellites have proved on many occasions to be a viable detection method which directly helps wildlife conservation efforts worldwide
JackWhite
Redshirt

Post by JackWhite »

Yes I've heard about them. There are plenty of them and there are some sources so you can track their missions. Very interesting stuff if you ask me :D