Hybrid rocket

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

jerry66
Redshirt

Hybrid rocket

Post by jerry66 »

Have you ever heard about hybrid rockets? Some space company manufactures and uses this kind of rockets in small launches like delivering microsatellites in the orbit.this type of rocket is uncrewed and guided and is used for test in under microgravity conditions.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Hybrid rocket

Post by LaCroix »

Made some, myself - all you need is a block of plastic and a whipped cream gas capsule(NOx) in a tube and some ignition mechanism.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
jerry66
Redshirt

Post by jerry66 »

Actually, the hybrid rocket has beem got this term because it combines solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Nope. Hybrid rockets got that moniker because their engine is set up to use both, liquid (usually the oxidizer component) and solid fuel components, other than solid fuel (usually used for boosters, fuel and oxidizer are bound in a solid compound) or liquid fuel engines (petrolx LOX, or Hydrogen and LOX - pretty much the main thruster of most spacegoing vessels), thus it is a HYBRID (another word for "mix") between the two traditional rocket engine types.

Just like a hybrid car, which is a mix between a combustion engine powered and an electrically powered car, since it has both, in whatever configuration...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
jerry66
Redshirt

Post by jerry66 »

LaCroix wrote: 2021-04-16 04:54pm Nope. Hybrid rockets got that moniker because their engine is set up to use both, liquid (usually the oxidizer component) and solid fuel components, other than solid fuel (usually used for boosters, fuel and oxidizer are bound in a solid compound) or liquid fuel engines (petrolx LOX, or Hydrogen and LOX - pretty much the main thruster of most spacegoing vessels), thus it is a HYBRID (another word for "mix") between the two traditional rocket engine types.

Just like a hybrid car, which is a mix between a combustion engine powered and an electrically powered car, since it has both, in whatever configuration...
The article I found about hybrid rocket which is called Sky Hy tells that this rocket uses ( as I have already mentioned ) solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser.
jerry66
Redshirt

Post by jerry66 »

Additionally to the informatione about hybrid rocket, the avionics equipment can be physically tested the thermal protection coating as well as ononboard telementry components under flight conditions, while investigating Earth`s magnetic field.