Possible New Grain - Grows in Saltwater!

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Possible New Grain - Grows in Saltwater!

Post by Broomstick »

Eelgrass "rice"

Sounds too good to be true - grows in actual saltwater, gobbles up carbon dioxide, nutritious.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Possible New Grain - Grows in Saltwater!

Post by LadyTevar »

Huh. Interesting.
Didn't say how they harvest the grains, tho. Do they pull the whole thing up by the roots?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The yield is the catch, I suspect-- only 1/3 the yield of (I'm guessing) a similarly sized plot of rice. While that doesn't mean it's infeasible-- it does seem much easier to grow, just sow it in a patch of salt marsh and wait-- I suspect it would be much more expensive unless domesticated and bred into a more grain-bearing form.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I'm particularly interested in this part.

"In the marine garden, León and his team were watching as the plant lived up to its reputation as an architect of ecosystems: transforming the abandoned salt marsh into a flourishing habitat teeming with life, from seahorses to scallops."

So land that was essentially dead, was restored to a more natural state and humans get something to encourage us to protect it.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

GuppyShark wrote: 2021-04-13 01:53pm I'm particularly interested in this part.

"In the marine garden, León and his team were watching as the plant lived up to its reputation as an architect of ecosystems: transforming the abandoned salt marsh into a flourishing habitat teeming with life, from seahorses to scallops."

So land that was essentially dead, was restored to a more natural state and humans get something to encourage us to protect it.
Saying it's more natural is a bit of a stretch the plan was human cultivated so either it doesn't grow naturally where it was farmed or at least it doesn't grow in the quantities it was planted. Just because there's more bio diversity doesn't make things more natural, just different to how it was.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

"In the Bay of Cádiz, the once-abundant plant had been reduced to an area of just four sq metres, echoing a decline seen around the world as seagrass meadows reel from increased human activity along coastlines and steadily rising water temperatures."

An artificial reef is still a reef. These seagrass gardens are still habitat. It's our fault they're not growing there anymore. We're just trying to fix what we broke.