Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner suspended due to patient injuries

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner suspended due to patient injuries

Post by SolarpunkFan »

The Straits Times
SINGAPORE - Two traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) practitioners have been suspended for professional negligence and misconduct after a customer had to undergo surgical operations for neck pains and third-degree burns.

The TCM Practitioners Board said in a statement on Friday (Jan 31) that it had found registered practitioners Joseph Yap Kwok Ann and Xia Rong Rong guilty of professional misconduct and negligence, and improper conduct and actions under the TCM Practitioners Act.

The husband and wife, who both work at Annie Tiang TCM in East Coast Road, were suspended for 30 months and nine months, respectively.

The suspensions started from Dec 27, 2019. The couple were also issued with letters of censure and asked to provide written undertakings to the board stating that they would not commit similar breaches again.

They were also told to foot the bill for the inquiry and proceedings against them.

The couple were penalised after a customer filed a complaint through statutory declaration against the two practitioners in October 2016.

Mr Yap had inserted surgical threads in various parts of the complainant's body some time in August or September 2014, telling her that they would dissolve in one to two days.

But the threads did not dissolve even after several months, resulting in neck pains for the complainant. She eventually got the 1cm threads removed by an orthopaedic surgeon.

The insertion of surgical thread under the skin is not an approved method of TCM treatment in Singapore and does not fall within the scope of TCM as defined under the TCM Practitioners Act.

Mr Yap had also tasked Madam Xia to continue TCM care for the same customer when he went overseas.

However, Madam Xia instructed a clinic assistant to perform moxibustion on the complainant's knees instead of doing it herself, without monitoring or supervising it closely. Moxibustion involves the burning of herbs near the skin.

When the customer complained about extreme pain during the treatment, she was told to tolerate it and that the pain would subside shortly.

When she contacted Madam Xia and Mr Yap after developing blisters that did not subside, she was told the symptoms were normal and that it was a "positive sign of toxins being expelled from her body".

She was later hospitalised for a month for third-degree burns, and underwent skin grafting surgery.

In its statement, the TCM Practitioners Board said it takes a serious view of any transgressions of the ethical code and guidelines for TCM practitioners.

"Safety should always be the first and foremost consideration. We advise registered TCM practitioners to put in place proper safeguards to avert the risks of injuries caused to patients and to use only appropriate and accepted methods."
Singapore has a practitioners board for TCM!? Well, I guess North America isn't the only one with pseudomedicine loonies. :banghead:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner suspended due to patient injuries

Post by Ralin »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2020-02-03 10:51am
Singapore has a practitioners board for TCM!? Well, I guess North America isn't the only one with pseudomedicine loonies. :banghead:
Didjya miss how following said practitioners board's advice would have actually been a dramatic improvement in this case?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

It's hilarious to see people supposedly shocked that the rest of the world is no less prone to pseudo science as if America is unique in buying into such belief systems.

TCM is a big deal to many east Asians, even with secular education.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Double post deleted...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

And it's not like there aren't individual TCM practices with legit medical value. Having some sort of certification and standards makes it that much more feasible to eventually separate them from the dross, and minimize harm from the woo woo aspects.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2020-02-03 10:51am

Singapore has a recognised degree for TCM. As a Science degree by one of the top university in Singapore.

http://www.tcm.ntu.edu.sg/academic/Page ... EGREE.aspx
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

ray245 wrote: 2020-02-03 01:05pm Singapore has a recognised degree for TCM. As a Science degree by one of the top university in Singapore.

http://www.tcm.ntu.edu.sg/academic/Page ... EGREE.aspx
Well, more the fool me. :oops:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Hey so called alternative medicine disciplines can practice the same way as real conventional medicine. As long as they are held to the same standard, meaning they can sued for negligence with similar sentences if found guilty. I suspect though, this is few and far between. That is they have to really really fuck up repeatedly, eventually leading to death or a severe adverse outcome before that happens.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.