The SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 coronavirus

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: The SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 coronavirus

Post by MKSheppard »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-03-09 06:04pmStick to the NEWS, remove the Yellow Peril Racist Bullshit, or get out.
So what is it now? I've been sticking to the news for the last couple of pages.

The only thing that might be even tangentially seen as "yElLoW pErIL" was that brief snippet of news about a passenger at Shanghai Pudong Airport being manhandled after she started intentionally coughing on flight personnel (attendants).

Thought that might be newsworthy to remind some people that nerves are starting to fray globally, as many pages ago, people joked about doing that (coughing intentionally).
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-03-09 06:18pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-03-09 06:04pmStick to the NEWS, remove the Yellow Peril Racist Bullshit, or get out.
So what is it now? I've been sticking to the news for the last couple of pages.

The only thing that might be even tangentially seen as "yElLoW pErIL" was that brief snippet of news about a passenger at Shanghai Pudong Airport being manhandled after she started intentionally coughing on flight personnel (attendants).

Thought that might be newsworthy to remind some people that nerves are starting to fray globally, as many pages ago, people joked about doing that (coughing intentionally).
If you don't know what is racist from what isn't, I suggest you learn about them now.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

I'll make a prediction right now.

Watch Andrew Cuomo closely politically -- he's one of only a few state governors taking this issue seriously and he'll probably be able to do the white house in 2024.

(maybe even 2020 if Bernie/Biden die from Corona while on the campaign trail, last minute replacement voted in by superdelegates, I dunno)

NY State's handling has been pretty decent, with them stating publicly WHO is infected, WHERE did they go, etc.

For example:

The infected is a lawyer for [company_name] and his children go to [school_name].

That lets people assess risk and whether they need to come in -- basically doing a significant amount of work for contact tracing via crowd sourcing.

Everyone else is incredibly vague on Corona cases.

Plus, he got prisoners in NYS making cheap knockoff hand sanitizers already. That was fast.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-03-09 03:40pm
A Chinese passenger has been tackled by a plane's cabin crew after she allegedly coughed at flight attendants on purpose amid coronavirus outbreak. The unidentified woman was infuriated while being held on board for nearly seven hours waiting for health checks after the Thai Airways flight landed at the Shanghai Pudong Airport last Friday. The female passenger is seen in a video being restrained by a male cabin crew member after she began coughing at one of the air stewardesses. The airline confirmed the incident in a post on their official Weibo page and said the local airport has recently intensified the level of coronavirus checks, particularly for passengers travelling from high-risk countries.
China has now reported reinfections from overseas coming into China. So they are now using strict measures to check and disinfect planes. Hopefully it doesn't cause a 7 hour delay next time. But Jesus.

-------------------------------------
Now that Italy is in a lock down, their population is 60 million. That's more than what China needed to lockdown. As Aerius put it nicely, shit is getting real.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 2a2dfe8dc2
The whole of Italy has gone into lockdown over the coronavirus outbreak, after the death toll jumped by 97 in a single day.

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced restrictions on public gatherings would be extended to cover the whole country, rather than just the epicentre of the outbreak in the north.

“Restrictions will include banning all public gatherings and preventing all movement other than for work and emergencies,” Mr Conte said.

The restrictions will take effect on Tuesday and like those in northern Italy will last until April 3, he said.

“There won’t be just a red zone,” he told reporters, referring to the quarantine order he signed for a vast swath of northern Italy with a population of 16 million over the weekend.

Mr Conte said the country’s “night life” of young people gathering to drink and enjoy themselves would no longer be permitted.

“We can’t allow this anymore,” he said. Restaurants and cafes have also been ordered to close at dusk.

All sporting events, including Serie A, the nation’s top soccer league, have also been suspended. Schools and universities will also remain closed as part of the measures.

The country’s death toll now sits at 463, marking a 20 per cent increase in just 24 hours. 75 per cent of the deaths are aged between 70 and 89, with 13 per cent aged over 90, 10 per cent in their 60s and just 1 per cent in their 50s.

The total number of cases in Italy has risen to 9172, the largest daily increase since the virus first emerged there on February 11.

Officials in Italy are seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for medical students as the coronavirus outbreak continues to take hold.

Yet 10 per cent of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses cannot work because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, the regions top health official, Giulio Gallera, said overnight.

Italy is now one of the worst afflicted globally for the coronavirus. Only China and Iran have had more deaths. In contrast France, the European country with the second highest number of deaths, has recorded fewer than 20 fatalities.

The Italian Government has responded by imposing a lockdown on the region of 16 million people, restricting movements in and out of Lombardy and Milan, its capital.

The draft decree says that those who violate the restrictions could be punished by a fine of 206 Euros ($A350) and jailed for up to three months.

The ban includes the closing of museums, gyms, schools, universities and ski resorts.

Mr Conte described it as a “national emergency”.

“Without underestimating it, we have chosen transparency, we are acting with lucidity, courage and determination,” he said. “We want to contain the spread of the contagion and avoid overloading the hospitals.”

TAKE OUR POLL: The 11 big coronavirus questions

Italian virologist Roberto Burioni described the leak as “pure madness”.

“The draft of a very harsh decree is leaked, sparking panic and prompting people to try and flee the [then] theoretical red zone, carrying the virus with them,” he wrote on Twitter. “In the end, the only effect is to help the virus to spread. I’m lost for words”.

The World Health Organisation has said there are now more than 100,000 people across the globe infected with the COVID-19 strain of coronavirus.

Michele Emiliano, the president of Pugli, urged the panicked people not to bring the virus to Italy’s south.

“I’m speaking to you as if you were my children, my brothers, my grandchildren,” he said on Facebook. “Get off (the train) at the first station, don’t get on the flights to Bari and Brindisi, turn your cars around, get off the bus at the next stop. Don’t bring the epidemic to Puglia.

“You are carrying to the lungs of your brothers and sisters, grandparents, uncles, cousins, and parents, the virus that has severely strained the health system in northern Italy.”

Pope Francis will be livestreaming his daily Mass at the Casa Santa Marta, with only a few collaborators allowed in the chapel with him.

There will be no public Masses celebrated in Rome or the Vatican until April 3.
I think the bringing doctors out of retirement (assuming they're recently retired) is a good idea. Also bringing some medical students up to full duties is not unreasonable either. In my experience I learnt a lot more in intern and resident year than as a medical student. Speeding up exposure to responsibilities one year earlier most probably will be beneficial as well.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Trump proposes to talk about this: NPR
Trump: Payroll Tax Cuts And Hourly Worker Relief Possible In Coronavirus Response
March 9, 20206:02 PM ET
Bobby Allyn
BOBBY ALLYN

Twitter

President Trump speaks about the coronavirus alongside Vice President Mike Pence and members of the Coronavirus Task Force in the Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House in Washington, D.C., Monday.
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images
Updated Monday 7:15 p.m. ET

President Trump said on Monday that the White House is planning on asking Congress to pass a payroll tax cut and relief for hourly wage earners in order to assist workers who may be feeling the financial pinch amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Trump said that top administration officials will be meeting with members of the House and Senate on Tuesday to discuss the possible payroll tax cuts and help for hourly workers.

"Very substantial relief that's a big number," Trump said. "We're also going to be talking about hourly wage earners getting help so that they can be in a position so they are not going to ever miss a paycheck," he said.

Trump said the White House is also working with the Small Business Administration and industries including airlines, cruise ship businesses and hotel owners, which are all grappling with economic hardship as demand from consumers slumps and travelers cancel plans.

"We are going to take care of and have been taking care of the American public and the American economy," Trump said.

Reps. Matt Gaetz, Doug Collins Self-Quarantine After CPAC Coronavirus Exposure
THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS
Reps. Matt Gaetz, Doug Collins Self-Quarantine After CPAC Coronavirus Exposure
Trump's announcement comes after the worst day for markets since 2008, because of fears that the coronavirus will plunge the economy into recession. Trump met on Monday with his task force managing the country's response.

The Trump administration has also summoned Wall Street executives to the White House for a meeting on Wednesday about the impacts of the coronavirus on the economy, a person familiar with the meeting confirmed.

Vice President Mike Pence said more than 1 million coronavirus tests have been distributed and an additional 4 million are planning to be distributed.

Pence said he has not been tested for the respiratory disease. He said he did not know whether President Trump has been tested for coronavirus.

Rep. Matt Gaetz said on Monday that was self-quarantining after learning he had been in contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus at a conservative conference last month. Before making the announcement, Gaetz had flown on Air Force One with Trump.

Asked whether the coronavirus shock will send the American economy into recession, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin sounded confident that the U.S. economy is resilient enough to push through the financial jitters.

"There are parts of the economy that will be impacted, especially workers who need to be at home, hard-working people who are at home under quarantine or taking care of their family. We'll be working on a program to address that," he said. "We will also be working with small businesses."

Mnuchin added: "The economy will be in really good shape a year from now. This is not like the financial crisis where we don't know the end in sight. This is about providing proper tools and liquidity to get through the next few months."

This story will be updated.
Let's see if this gets anywhere, but I'm betting the damage of lack of actual testing means that this is too little, too late.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-03-09 07:32pm
NY State's handling has been pretty decent, with them stating publicly WHO is infected, WHERE did they go, etc.

For example:

The infected is a lawyer for [company_name] and his children go to [school_name].

That lets people assess risk and whether they need to come in -- basically doing a significant amount of work for contact tracing via crowd sourcing.
Yeah, so good that they're tossing medical confidentiality out the window and exposing people and their families to potential mobs and hate crimes. That's totally a good thing.
Plus, he got prisoners in NYS making cheap knockoff hand sanitizers already. That was fast.
And now you are cheering for forced labor.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

We're now up to at least four members of Congress (three Republicans and one Democrat), a Senator (Ted Cruz), and Trump's new chief of staff self-quarantining.

The entire nation of Italy is now under lockdown, and the stock market continues to plummet.

https://nbcnews.com/health/health-news/ ... c-n1152886
World stocks tumbled with investors bracing for the economic fallout of the epidemic, with a shocking all-out oil price war adding to anxiety.

Wall Street suffered its worst day since the financial crisis of 2008 as the Dow plummeted more than 2,000 points by Monday's closing bell, and London's FTSE 100 plunged to a three-year low after oil prices cratered by 30 percent overnight.

Meanwhile, Italian Prime Minister Guiseppe Conte announced Monday that the containment measures introduced Sunday for the Lombardy region in the country's north would be applied to the whole nation. More than 9,000 people have been confirmed to have the virus in Italy so far while Germany and Spain also saw spikes in the number of cases Monday.

The number of confirmed U.S. cases of coronavirus has risen to more than 650 on Monday, including 26 deaths.

With "deep frustration and regret," Seattle band Pearl Jam on Monday announced it was postponing part of its upcoming tour because of the coronavirus outbreak.

"Having no examples of our national health department's ability to get ahead of this, we have no reason to believe that it will be under control in the coming weeks ahead," that band said in making the announcement.

(1/10) As residents of the city of Seattle, we’ve been hit hard and have witnessed firsthand how quickly these disastrous situations can escalate. Our kids’ schools have closed along with universities and businesses. pic.twitter.com/SRcZasIVsk

— Pearl Jam (@PearlJam) March 10, 2020
SHARE THIS -
Tim Stelloh and Alex Moe

40m ago / 6:33 PM PDT
Trump's incoming chief of staff, Mark Meadows, is under self-quarantine

President Donald Trump's incoming chief of staff, U.S. Rep. Mark Meadows, said Monday that he is under self-quarantine after possibly "coming into contact" with a person who tested positive for COVID-19.

Meadows, R-North Carolina, has tested negative for the disease but will remain at home until Wednesday "out of an abundance of caution," Meadows' chief of staff, Ben Williamson, said in a statement Monday.

Trump named Meadows as his next chief of staff last week.

The possible encounter occurred at the Conservative Political Action Conference last month. The statement provided no additional details about the potential exposure.

Williamson said Meadows is not experiencing symptoms but is following precautionary recommendations.

Several other Republican members of Congress are also under self-quarantine, including Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona, Rep. Doug Collins of Georgia and Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida. Rep. Julia Brownley, a Democrat from California, is also self-quarantining.

Rep. Louis Gohmert, R-Texas, has said he is not self-quarantining despite possibly being exposed as well.
Also, fuck Louis Gohmert. Just take a couple weeks off to be on the safe side. Its not like the country will miss your profound leadership.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Ralin wrote: 2020-03-09 09:24pm
Yeah, so good that they're tossing medical confidentiality out the window and exposing people and their families to potential mobs and hate crimes. That's totally a good thing.
I am glad I am not the only one who found that part of the announcement morally problematic. My country isn't any better though. We threw a GP under the bus by announcing his name because he worked while infected with covid 19, but he did not break the health department guidelines because he didn't have typical symptoms and he didn't travel to a country we judged to be high risk. This has predictably caused outrage among doctors. I guess patient confidentiality is no longer a thing.

chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

While in this day and age announcing someone's workplace/haunts can get someone doxxed real quick, names are not typically released; as long as the convention of pt. X, M/65, is maintained, I think releasing location information (e.g. attends Christchirch Church on Elm Street) is reasonable. It's standard practice where I am, at least.

In any case, close contacts of the pt shd be informed immediately for contact tracing and surveillance.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-03-09 07:32pm I'll make a prediction right now.

Watch Andrew Cuomo closely politically -- he's one of only a few state governors taking this issue seriously and he'll probably be able to do the white house in 2024.

(maybe even 2020 if Bernie/Biden die from Corona while on the campaign trail, last minute replacement voted in by superdelegates, I dunno)
I was going to say 2028 if the Dems win, but with Bernie's age and Biden's seeming senility, it may be neither will be up to seeking a second term regardless.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

It's standard practice in many countries to provide schedules of infected people, so others know to check themselves or self isolate. So far, Israel has been reporting things such as where infected people ate lunch, etc. so people can self quarentine.

It's far better than not reporting this!
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Italy quarantines people. Its noble, risking its economy to protect Europe.
China quarantines people. OMG, its costing us our personal liberties. No mention of them risking their own economy to stop it spreading from the rest of the world.

How is this not propaganda? Does propaganda only need to be done by state actors?

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Not sure if it really counts as propoganda by the NYT when you can plainly read both articles side by side, delivering a counter propoganda coup for those who want to highlight Western hypocrisy and double standards.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

AniThyng wrote: 2020-03-10 07:23am Not sure if it really counts as propoganda by the NYT when you can plainly read both articles side by side, delivering a counter propoganda coup for those who want to highlight Western hypocrisy and double standards.
That's like saying Right wing propaganda isn't propaganda because they are self contradictory. I mean just look at the number of times Trump has contradicted himself.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

AniThyng wrote: 2020-03-10 07:23am Not sure if it really counts as propoganda by the NYT when you can plainly read both articles side by side, delivering a counter propoganda coup for those who want to highlight Western hypocrisy and double standards.
It is, if not propaganda, certainly indicative of a bias in reporting.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

loomer wrote: 2020-03-10 07:41am
It is, if not propaganda, certainly indicative of a bias in reporting.
Bias and a lack of self awareness, yeah.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Looking at the 4 digit club, Germany & South Korea have much lower death rates than the others. Italy now has the highest death rate out of all infected countries at 5%, no wonder the entire country's in lockdown.

Also, NYT doing NYT shit. I am not surprised at all after all the shit they pulled with Russian-gate among other things.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

aerius wrote: 2020-03-10 10:35am Looking at the 4 digit club, Germany & South Korea have much lower death rates than the others. Italy now has the highest death rate out of all infected countries at 5%, no wonder the entire country's in lockdown.

Also, NYT doing NYT shit. I am not surprised at all after all the shit they pulled with Russian-gate among other things.
Looking a bit more deeply, they also don't have that many recovered yet in both those countries. So most of their patients are still being treated and it could go either way. I think in another fortnight we will have a better picture of things.

The problem with the Italian lockdown is, it got leaked one day before much to the PM's ire, and people started moving down south. Which is funny cause in the article Faxmodem posted, the anonymous Wuhan resident was pissed because the order came at 2 am and he had no time to escape the lockdown. :D I mean that's kind of the idea with the lockdowns.

Yeah I shouldn't be surprised with NYT doing shitty journalism. I mean they got the Polish president confused with Putin during the Russia gate crisis, so not exactly quality journalism.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well....crap.

NPR
Coronavirus: Sacramento County Gives Up On Automatic 14-Day Quarantines
March 10, 20201:17 PM ET
BILL CHAPPELL

Twitter

Sacramento County includes the UC Davis Medical Center – which housed the first U.S. case of a patient getting the new coronavirus through community spread. The county says it's emphasizing mitigation of the virus now, rather than containment.
Patrick Mouzawak/Bloomberg via Getty Images
California's Sacramento County is calling off automatic 14-day quarantines that have been implemented for the coronavirus, saying it will focus instead on mitigating the impact of COVID-19.

The change is an acknowledgement that the county cannot effectively manage the quarantines while its health system copes with coronavirus cases. It also reflects problems with the U.S. government's coronavirus testing program — issues that slowed efforts to identify people with the deadly virus and to contain COVID-19.

"With the shift from containment to mitigation, it is no longer necessary for someone who has been in contact with someone with COVID-19 to quarantine for 14 days," the county says.

Effective immediately, people in Sacramento County should not quarantine themselves if they've been exposed to the COVID-19. Instead, they should go into isolation only if they begin to show symptoms of the respiratory virus, the county's health department says.

Sacramento County currently has at least 10 coronavirus cases, including one person who recovered.

Decisions on how to try to contain and control the coronavirus have largely been left to state and local officials, rather than those at the federal level.

"The decision of what steps to implement will be local," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said last week. She added, "CDC's role is to provide technical advice to states and counties."

Scarcity Of Health Workers A New Concern As Self-Quarantining Spreads With Virus
SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS
Scarcity Of Health Workers A New Concern As Self-Quarantining Spreads With Virus
Sacramento's new policy is similar to the approach in King County, Wash., which now has 116 coronavirus cases and 20 COVID-19 deaths. The county health department's page of recommendations for dealing with the virus doesn't mention quarantines at all. Instead, it advises people to stay at home if they're sick, and to limit chances for the virus to spread by taking precautions such as teleworking and practicing excellent hygiene.

"Once you get a certain number of cases, it's hard to continue to contact-trace back the way you tried originally," Dr. Peter Beilenson, head of Sacramento County's Department of Health Services, told The Sacramento Bee. "So we move to mitigation, which is basically trying to mitigate the risk to those who are most at risk: the elderly and those with chronic underlying conditions."

Such policies can also reduce the toll on health care providers and first responders who might otherwise be compelled to self-isolate if someone they may have been exposed to is diagnosed with the coronavirus. Without those medical workers on the front lines, the broader response could be hobbled.

California and Washington state emerged as the first hot spots for the coronavirus in the U.S., which currently has more than 760 cases. Both states have reported cases of community spread, in which an infected person has no history of travel to affected areas or exposure to someone known to have the COVID-19 illness.

Sacramento County includes the UC Davis Medical Center, the facility that housed the first U.S. case of novel coronavirus infection through community spread. The patient was left undiagnosed for days because, according to the hospital, a request for testing wasn't granted on the grounds that the person didn't fit official criteria, which at the time included international travel. That criteria was quickly revised — but 36 nurses and roughly 188 other hospital workers were sent into self-quarantine for 14 days.

Messionier and other CDC officials say the U.S. response to the coronavirus won't be one-size-fits-all, with varying methods used in different parts of the country. In large part, they say, that's because the effort must adapt in areas where there has been community spread.

Even when an agency emphasizes mitigation over containment, Messionier said during a briefing on Monday, there's no "on-off switch." In many cases, she added, the local response will be a hybrid of the two.

"In Seattle and in California, they haven't stopped entirely contact tracing, but they have started mitigation," Messionier noted, "And I think that you will likely see local health departments deciding when there is community spread to start turning on more of the mitigation measures, even while they're still doing some level of contact tracing."

Messionier said she expects to see more agencies adopt similar approaches.

"You will see, I think, lots more communities starting to implement some kind of mitigation measures when they're seeing community spread. It will look different in different places. And that's why it's really important for folks to stay informed of what's going on in their local area and to follow their advice of the local health department."

Coronavirus symptoms and prevention

To prevent the coronavirus from spreading, the CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using a hand sanitizer if a sink isn't available. The World Health Organization says people should wear face masks only if they're sick or caring for someone who is.

"For most people, COVID-19 infection will cause mild illness; however, it can make some people very ill and, in some people, it can be fatal," the WHO says. "Older people, and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease or diabetes) are at risk for severe disease."

The most common symptoms of COVID-19, according to a recent WHO report that draws on more than 70,000 cases in China: fever (in 88% of cases); dry cough (68%); fatigue (38%); sputum/phlegm production (33%).

Shortness of breath occurred in nearly 20% of cases, and about 13% had a sore throat or headache, the WHO said.
Seems like the American Healthcare system just isn't ready for this.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

NPR
Coronavirus: New York Creates 'Containment Area' Around Cluster In New Rochelle
March 10, 20202:17 PM ET
BILL CHAPPELL

Twitter

The Young Israel synagogue of New Rochelle is at the center of a new "containment area" announced by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Tuesday.
New York Governor's Office
New York is creating a "containment area" around a community in New Rochelle, in an attempt to limit the spread of coronavirus in an area that quickly became the state's largest source of COVID-19 infections, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday.

Residents would still be allowed to move around — but the new policy effectively blocks any large public gatherings in the area, to prevent further transmission of the virus.

"It is a dramatic action, but it is the largest cluster in the country," Cuomo said. "And this is literally a matter of life and death."

"New Rochelle is a particular problem," Cuomo said. "The numbers have been going up, the numbers continue to go up, the numbers are going up unabated — and we do need a special public health strategy for New Rochelle."

Andrew Cuomo

@NYGovCuomo
In Albany giving another update on #Coronavirus. WATCH: https://www.pscp.tv/w/cTZieDIyNjcxMDN8M ... 8s3JT2FdLh

Andrew Cuomo @NYGovCuomo
In Albany giving another update on #Coronavirus. WATCH:

pscp.tv
11:12 AM - Mar 10, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
202 people are talking about this
A synagogue in the city has become the epicenter of an outbreak in Westchester County — which accounts for 108 of New York state's 173 coronavirus cases.

As of Tuesday, that synagogue is also at the center of a circle that extends for a 1-mile radius, marking the state's containment area.

The governor is calling on the National Guard to help maintain the containment area. Cuomo said the troops will be deployed "to deliver food to homes, to help with the cleaning of public spaces."

Student volunteers walk through New Rochelle to perform a Purim reading at homes on Monday. Some residents there are already under self-quarantine.
John Minchillo/AP
Schools and large gathering places will be closed for two weeks inside the containment area, Cuomo said. Officials will use that time to clean the schools, he added.

The new policy will take effect Thursday and remain in place through March 25.

To reduce contacts between the containment area and the outside world, a new coronavirus testing facility will also be placed inside the area in New Rochelle.

SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS
"This is an evolving situation," New York Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said. "We have moved from a containment strategy to more of a mitigation strategy."

People will still be allowed to go in and out of the containment zone, Cuomo said. But any facilities that would bring large gatherings of people, such as schools and synagogues, will be closed.

"This will be a period of disruption for the local community, I understand that. Local shop owners don't like the disruption; nobody does. Local politicians don't like the disruption. I get it," Cuomo said. He added, "This can't be a political decision. This is a public health decision."

Saying that the decision reflects a recommendation of Dr. Zucker, Cuomo added, "In a situation like this, whether you're president, mayor, or governor, let the experts decide. And let the science drive the decision. When you politically interfere in science, that's when you tend to make a mistake."
And so it begins in America.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Here are a few of the steps that my workplace is using to prepare for COVID-19:
The week of February 24, the company moved from a monitoring and planning state to establishing
COVID-19 as an “Incident” and triggered the Incident Command System (ICS). This allows for more
directed resources and focus on managing the event in a methodical way.

These are just some of the many steps you should be aware of that the company has taken over the last
several weeks to protect you and allow the company to continue to operate now, and into further worse
case scenarios.

1. We have been quietly acquiring and building supplies of N95 masks, gloves, cleaning products and
other items in sufficient quantities that, should public health officials request the further use of
personal protective measures, we can supply our staff who are working with and facing the public.

2. We initiated new cleaning protocols at the stores and Head Office to frequently clean surfaces
with virus eliminating substances for all surfaces a customer and staff would normally contact.
We increased this cleaning frequency again, and this protocol can also be increased a third time.
We are preparing for more cleaning and anti-viral approaches yet again if required or
recommended.

3. We have established policies that should public health officials ask or require employers to have
employees work from home, we generally know how, and who, would execute this.
4. We have increased our Incident Command System activities to plan for evolving circumstances
and anticipate worse case scenarios.

5. We are evaluating all currently planned travel, training, ceremonies and conferences and have or
will make decisions to alter or cancel these planned activities following recommendations from
Provincial and Federal health authorities.

While no organization can ever by 100% ready for every emergency or community incident, you should
feel confident substantial planning and resources are focused on the COVID-19 response, and to keep you
safe at work. Its important to find a balance of responding proactively, but not over or under reacting,
and to focus on best practices in health care. There is much misinformation spread widely on social media
which interferes with appropriate responses.
It might be nice to have some of this rolled out sooner than an official warning but I'm glad to see that we have a plan.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2020-03-10 03:44pmAnd so it begins in America.
Expect to see more localized quarantines, slowly expanding to county-wide and then multi-county quarantines in the US, now that Cuomo of NYS has broken the "taboo" with his two week, 1 mile quarantine in NY -- nobody wants to be the first.

Now that he's been the first....yeah.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Despite all their efforts, it's still getting worse in Italy. China, by contrast, is claiming they're already over the worst of it, though their doctors aren't as confident about this as their leader.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Three days ago Chicago reported a new case of covid-19

Two days ago it had two new cases

Yesterday it had four new cases.

Today it had 8 new cases.

That, by the way, are the ones that have been detected - Illinois in general and Chicago in particular are screaming that they can't get sufficient testing kits.

Meanwhile... I've been feeling a bit headachey and off-color today, a bit of a cough... but hell, I'm in my fifties and have asthma, it's nothing unusual to have a bit of a cough. And it's still the cold and flu season. Was going to check my temperature but realized I don't have a thermometer. And I can't find one. Apparently they have all gone to the same places that the hand sanitizers went.

The Federal government is keeping the numbers down by simply not supplying kits - lots of anger building about that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice