Chiropractor uses sympathetic magic

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Chiropractor uses sympathetic magic

Post by mr friendly guy »

Got this in my inbox from Australian Doctor and I thought it was too funny not to share.
Disclaimer I am not an expert on magic and all that, but I think what this chiropractor is doing is sympathetic magic
Chiro sold bottled water as Hendra 'vaccine' for horses
He has been declared a 'serious risk' to the public
19th September 2019By Geir O'Rourke

A chiropractor has been ordered to stop treating humans and animals after he sold plain bottled water as an “energetic Hendra virus remedy” for horses.

Peter Lindsay Esdaile, of Warwick in Queensland, originally surrendered his registration to practice as a chiropractor back in 2015.

But he set up a specialty practice as a chiropractor for horses and an alternative healer using a modality called the “neuro emotional technique”.

He also had a website where he sold $35 bottles of “vaccine” for Hendra virus, which was then spreading through horse populations in Queensland.

However, an ex-colleague lodged a complaint, saying that despite moving on from treating humans, Mr Esdaile was holding himself out as a chiropractor.

Mr Esdaile admitted to preparing his alternative medicine by purchasing a bottle of water from a shop and placing a label on the bottle with the words “Hendra virus”, followed by a number representing the alleged potency of his cure.

He told the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal that by placing the label on the bottle he was “changing the energy in the water” which “provides immunity to the Hendra virus”.

In a video on his “equine energy” website, he also claimed his “vaccine” was effective whether drunk by the horse or its owner.

“We have developed a preparation that we can use as an alternative to the Hendra vaccine, so this preparation can be safe and effective,” he said in the video.

“It doesn’t matter whether you give it to a horse or yourself. That should give you the protection you need.”

The method could also be used to develop “vaccines” for chickenpox and German measles, he added.

But in expert testimony, infectious diseases clinician Associate Professor Elliott Geoffrey Playford from Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, declared there was “no scientific rationale or pre-clinical or clinical evidence that plain bottled water in any way provides human protection from, or treatment of, Hendra virus infection, chickenpox, German measles or paralysis ticks”.

In response, Mr Esdaile argued that Professor Playford’s evidence should be ignored because he had no experience or qualifications in energy healing.

The tribunal sided with Professor Playford.

“Mr Esdaile made false and misleading claims about the effectiveness of the alternative product, claiming that it would protect humans and animals from the Hendra virus, despite it containing ‘nothing’ except water,” it said in its judgement.

“These claims put the public at risk from unvaccinated horses who may contract the virus upon their owners’ reliance on Mr Esdaile’s alternative product.”

The tribunal was also alarmed at Mr Esdaile’s insistence that his preparations could treat diseases found in humans.

After declaring Mr Esdaile “a serious risk to persons”, it prohibited him from advertising or selling any “vaccine, remedy or treatment not recognised by conventional science-based medicine”.
This
He told the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal that by placing the label on the bottle he was “changing the energy in the water” which “provides immunity to the Hendra virus”.
Well I guess mere mortals like myself can only change the energy in water by heating or freezing it. I wish I had this superpower to change energy by putting labels on something. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: Chiropractor uses sympathetic magic

Post by SpottedKitty »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-19 02:07am Disclaimer I am not an expert on magic and all that, but I think what this chiropractor is doing is sympathetic magic
I dunno, it strikes me as more like sympathetic magic as visualised by Trofim Lysenko... :wanker:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery