The Moon Landing: 50 Years Later.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The Moon Landing: 50 Years Later.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

On this day, fifty years ago, human beings set foot on another world for the first time.

"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969, A. D. We came in peace for all Mankind."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: The Moon Landing: 50 Years Later.

Post by Jub »

A hell of an achievement and one I hope we can soon replicate.
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-16 04:07am On this day, fifty years ago, human beings set foot on another world for the first time.

"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969, A. D. We came in peace for all Mankind."
You're a little early. They launched on the 16th, but didn't land on the moon until the 20th.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

J Ryan wrote: 2019-07-16 07:16am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-16 04:07am On this day, fifty years ago, human beings set foot on another world for the first time.

You're a little early. They launched on the 16th, but didn't land on the moon until the 20th.
My apologies for the error.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

It's all of the mission control and spacecraft audio loops synced up to fifty years ago.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

What I consider one of the most significant files I've ever downloaded is a 9-minute sound clip. Gene Kranz on the Flight Director's loop in one ear, and Charlie Duke on the CAPCOM loop in the other. From a few minutes after PDI to just after landing. Gives me chills every time I play it.

A close second are the video clips of each landing from the old Apollo Lunar Surface Journal archive — Apollo 11, Apollo 12, Apollo 14, Apollo 15, Apollo 16, and Apollo 17. Unlike every other time you see them on TV, these clips are the right way up and the right speed (the camera looking out the LM window was attached at an angle to a bracket, and running at either 6 or 12 frames/sec).

It's fun listening to the differences in how each crew carried out the landing. Apollo 12 in particular, a.k.a. The Pete and Al Show, sounded like a couple of old pilots swapping yarns over a few beers. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, today's the day.

I'm glad to see Google decided to acknowledge the occasion on their homepage (Spoiler
the link is to an animated video of the Apollo 11 Mission, narrated by Astronaut Mike Collins
).

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-19 01:32am Well, today's the day.
No, tomorrow is the day. Neil Armstrong stepped out onto the surface of the Moon on July 20. You can quibble about the Eagle landing, but it was the riveting sight of a human being standing on the surface of another world that was the Big Moment.

If I recall, they did not stay long. Four days to get there, a few hours on the surface, then four days to get back. But doing that successfully proved it could be done and allowed for longer missions to come.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2019-07-19 05:39am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-19 01:32am Well, today's the day.
No, tomorrow is the day. Neil Armstrong stepped out onto the surface of the Moon on July 20. You can quibble about the Eagle landing, but it was the riveting sight of a human being standing on the surface of another world that was the Big Moment.

If I recall, they did not stay long. Four days to get there, a few hours on the surface, then four days to get back. But doing that successfully proved it could be done and allowed for longer missions to come.
So much effort for those few hours, and yet they are so significant. Because they proved that we could be more than just a one-world species.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Not only that, but it also showed what can be done, if you simply go 'IT MUST BE DONE', and then actually work towards it.

And on many levels, it was a bigger (logistically and technologically) problem then say Global Warming, but it was solved.

We lacked the infrastructure, we lacked the technology, and yet, it was developed, implemented, and man stepped on the Moon.

We have the infrastructure, we have the technology, and yet, it's not being implemented, and we are not fighting Global Warming...
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.