This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Tribble
Sith Devotee

This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

Post by Tribble »

I was going to put this in the Fantasy section, but I figured he was talking about "Science" so it belongs here. :P

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.
Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.
Hughes’s ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.
“It’ll shut the door on this ball earth,” Hughes said in a fundraising interview with a flat-Earth group for Saturday’s flight. Theories discussed during the interview included NASA being controlled by round-Earth Freemasons and Elon Musk making fake rockets from blimps.
Hughes promised the flat-Earth community that he would expose the conspiracy with his steam-powered rocket, which will launch from a heavily modified mobile home — though he acknowledged that he still had much to learn about rocket science.

“This whole tech thing,” he said in the June interview. “I’m really behind the eight ball.”
[Kyrie Irving believes the Earth is flat. It is not.]
That said, Hughes isn’t a totally unproven engineer. He set a Guinness World Record in 2002 for a limousine jump, according to Ars Technica, and has been building rockets for years, albeit with mixed results.
“Okay, Waldo. 3 . . . 2 . . . 1!” someone yells in a test fire video from 2012.
There’s a brief hiss of boiling water, then . . . nothing. So Hughes walks up to the engine and pokes it with a stick, at which point a thick cloud of steam belches out toward the camera.
He built his first manned rocket in 2014, the Associated Press reported, and managed to fly a quarter-mile over Winkelman, Ariz.
As seen in a YouTube video, the flight ended with Hughes being dragged, moaning from the remains of the rocket. The injuries he suffered put him in a walker for two weeks, he said.

And the 2014 flight was only a quarter of the distance of Saturday’s mile-long attempt.
And it was based on round-Earth technology.

Hughes only recently converted to flat-Eartherism, after struggling for months to raise funds for his follow-up flight over the Mojave.
It was originally scheduled for early 2016 in a Kickstarter campaign — “From Garage to Outer Space!” — that mentioned nothing about Illuminati astronauts, and was themed after a NASCAR event.
“We want to do this and basically thumb our noses at all these billionaires trying to do this,” Hughes said, standing in his Apple Valley, Calif., living room, which he had plastered with drawings of his rockets.
“They have not put a man in space yet,” Hughes said. “There are 20 different space agencies here in America, and I’m the last person that’s put a man in a rocket and launched it.”
He compared himself to Evel Knievel, as he promised to launch himself from a California racetrack — the first step on his steam-powered leap toward space.
The Kickstarter raised $310 of its $150,000 goal.
[The explorers who really disproved flat-Earth theories]
Hughes made other pitches, including a plan to fly over Texas in a “SkyLimo.” But he complained to Ars Technica last year about the difficulty of funding his dreams on a chauffeur’s meager salary.

A year later, he called into a flat-Earth community Web show to announce that he had become a recent convert.
“We were kind of looking for new sponsors for this. And I’m a believer in the flat Earth,” Hughes said. “I researched it for several months.”
The host sounded impressed. Hughes had actually flown in a rocket, he noted, whereas astronauts were merely paid actors performing in front of a CGI globe.
“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons,” Hughes agreed. “Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception.”
The host talked of “Elon Musk’s fake reality,” and Hughes talked of “anti-Christ, Illuminati stuff.” After half an hour of this, the host told his 300-some listeners to back Hughes’s exploration of space.
While there is no one hypothesis for what the flat Earth is supposed to look like, many believers envision a flat disc ringed by sea ice, which naturally holds the oceans in.
What’s beyond the sea ice, if anything, remains to be discovered.
“We need an individual who’s not compromised by the government,” the host told Hughes. “And you could be that man.”

A flat-Earth GoFundMe subsequently raised nearly $8,000 for Hughes.
By November, the AP reported, his $20,000 rocket had a fancy coat of Rust-Oleum paint and “RESEARCH FLAT EARTH” inscribed on the side.
While his flat-Earth friends helped him finally get the thing built, the AP reported, Hughes will be making adjustments right up to Saturday’s launch

He won’t be able to test the rocket before he climbs inside and attempts to steam himself at 500 mph across a mile of desert air. And even if it’s a success, he's promised his backers an even riskier launch within the next year, into the space above the disc.
“It’s scary as hell,” Hughes told the AP. “But none of us are getting out of this world alive.”
This is true. Yet some will try to live to see its edges.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... 7e5afda2ba

I wonder how his... steam rocket? will turn out. While it'll certainly be entertaining to watch, I have my doubts that he'll end up in space and prove the Earth is flat. Or that he'll even survive. Oh well, time to bring out the popcorn! :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

Post by Marko Dash »

couldn't he just send up a camera on a balloon and accomplish the same thing for much cheaper? you don't have to reach space to see the curvature of the earth.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

2 out of 3 chances says it explodes and kills him.\
BEST out come is it fails to launch period and he calls it a day.

The whole thing is obviously a stunt for press and money. If he was serious about science in any way, there are several other ways you could attempt to study the curvature of the earth.
You know... If it wasn't for the fact that it would be a massive slap in the face to the entire history of Astronomy... I would love to sponsor this guy to go up on a ride to the ISS just to see what he says.,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Proof yet again that the American authorities will let you kill yourself via aviation as long as no one else is put at risk...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

66% chance he blows up at ignition/launch.
50% chance he hurts/kills himself during ascent due to high g loads with inappropriate safety procedures.
95% chance he pancakes himself into the ground.

0% chance of proving earth is flat.

A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Calling this man "Jebediah Kerman IRL" would be an insult to the Kerbals. Even without the Flat Earth tinfoil-hattery, what kind of reckless idiot do you have to be to think a manned suborbital flight in an oversized bottle-rocket powered by high-pressure steam is a good idea? Especially when by his own admission he can't do a few unmanned test flights like a sane person because he could only afford to build the one?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

At least the paperwork will be easy. The coroner can already pre-fill all data but the time of death...

Even the reason is easy. Suicide.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

You have to wonder just what he hopes to prove. If he does manage to get his rocket high enough that you should be able to see the curvature of the Earth he will still end up dismissing everything he sees and/or claim tinkering by the evil men at NASA for making him see what he is just sure he shouldn't. Sadly if his rig blows up eviscerating himself his fellow flat earthers will make him into a martyr.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

LaCroix wrote: 2017-11-22 06:48pm At least the paperwork will be easy. The coroner can already pre-fill all data but the time of death...
For extra style points, he could quote some Kipling. From The Secret Of The Machines:
Rudyard Kipling wrote:But remember, please, the Law by which we live,
We are not built to comprehend a lie,
We can neither love nor pity nor forgive.
If you make a slip in handling us you die!
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.
Not going to see much at 1800 feet.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Marko Dash wrote: 2017-11-21 11:33pm couldn't he just send up a camera on a balloon and accomplish the same thing for much cheaper? you don't have to reach space to see the curvature of the earth.
There's always the chance that the Round Earth Illuminati could hack the camera and other electronic systems to alter any pictures taken.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Isolder74 wrote: 2017-11-22 07:32pm ... Sadly if his rig blows up eviscerating himself his fellow flat earthers will make him into a martyr.
The Big Government propaganda says he died from an "accident", but we know the truth!
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Step 1: Find crowd of conspiracy nuts.
Step 2: Rile up conspiracy nuts, tell them to give you money so you can prove their beliefs are true.
Step 3: Claim some element of the conspiracy caused you to fail.
Step 4: Cocaine.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Lagmonster wrote: 2017-11-23 09:44amStep 1: Find crowd of conspiracy nuts.
Step 2: Rile up conspiracy nuts, tell them to give you money so you can prove their beliefs are true.
Step 3: Claim some element of the conspiracy caused you to fail.
Step 4: Cocaine.
Nice work if you can get it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

This is the kind of classic-flavor Mouse on the Moon shit that they just don't make anymore. As long as he's got Magic Carpet Ride playing (and cocaine) when he engages the warp drive, I'll allow it.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Sorry but I can't resist.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I honestly think this is a case for involuntary commitment on the grounds that this man is a danger to himself and others.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There were some good science fiction stories (for certain values of 'good') back in the golden age of SF about brilliant but misunderstood scientists With Something To Prove building their own rocketships to go up and prove it.

This... is more like how a story like that would be likely to play out in real life, sadly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I mean, "build your own rocket ship" just sounds so awesome. But not really practical, or safe, unless you have a lot of talent and money.

The flat-Earth part is just sad.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-11-24 04:08pmThere were some good science fiction stories (for certain values of 'good') back in the golden age of SF about brilliant but misunderstood scientists With Something To Prove building their own rocketships to go up and prove it.

This... is more like how a story like that would be likely to play out in real life, sadly.
And this guy probably doesn't have access to Handwavium, either.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I wonder if this will give someone the chance to say that this fellow "Built this in a cave...with a box of scraps!"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2017-11-24 01:25pm Sorry but I can't resist.
IMG-SNIP
Does his vision involve Dollar signs, money and naked women on beaches? :P
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, its possible that he doesn't actually buy the Flat-Earther theories, and is just using that as an angle to con people. From the article:

"Hughes only recently converted to flat-Eartherism, after struggling for months to raise funds for his follow-up flight over the Mojave."

Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Not going to see curvature of Earth from mere 1800 feet. Wonder why bother with rocket at all. Get some 50 or more of weather balloons, some rope to tie them together, hydrogen gas cilinders to fill the balloons and there is good chance to get to 8 km or more if extra breathing oxygen is carried. By popping few balloons with handgun he could even manage relatively controlled descent and landing.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

And even something that fucking stupid would still be incredibly fucking safer.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor