Transit death statistics

Get advice, tips, or help with science or religion debates that you are currently participating in.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Transit death statistics

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I'm trying to find statistics describing the number of deaths associated with buses, trains, airplanes, and cars respectively for each year for the past few years, or enough to prove to shut up this stupid fucker I'm arguing with.

I tried to find the stats myself but my google-fu isn't strong enough it would seem. One would think that would be easy to find, but, well, yeah...

So if anybody could give me a hand finding that stuff I'd much appreciate it. :)
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Transit death statistics

Post by Broomstick »

For airplanes in the US: FAA Accident Database, fully searchable, follow directions on page.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

I ran a quick Google search and found this for trains:

http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/officeofsafety/ <-- this is obviously only relevant to the United States (as far as I know), but rather credible given that the website is maintained by the federal government

If you search for "Motor Death Statistics", you will find a variety of sources, but you will need to take the time to assess which ones are credible or not.

To give an example: http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html <-- this website has motor death statistics for 2002 in the United States, but I am reluctant to trust the information it gives because I know nothing about the website. The source it lists is essentially this (although an earlier version): http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products.htm#nvsr <-- but I believe you have to pay money to access reports from their website, if you have access to a university library, they may have the report available for free.

If you want to take into account statistics for countries outside the United States, you may want to ask a librarian about what reference books to consult. Additionally, playing around with Google search terms can often lead to hits regarding the information you want - that is how I was able to find data on US trains.

I hope you find what you need. If I have time, I might be able to discover more information.
United Sectors
prestonwatson
Redshirt

Post by prestonwatson »

Hi Ryan,

I have a link to know the number of deaths associated with buses, trains, airplanes, and cars respectively for each year. At the moment I need to find it out. Once I will find, I will get back to you.

I think on Friday as this Fri, Sat and Sun I am not working.

Cheers.