The Pope have been given the last rites.

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

pope dies on apr fools, vatican admits joke on apr 2nd.

pope is in excellent health, vatican states, and should be ready for the next service.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
tumbletom
Padawan Learner

Post by tumbletom »

Aya wrote:
Steven Snyder wrote:I second on that, the radio just announced that several sources have said he has died.
Yeah, there's conflicting reports of his death. Some Italian news agencies have said he's dead and most others, including MSNBC and other American media say he's still alive.
Yeah i know, im getting confused now....I heard that he died on CNN, but every one else is saying that he is close to death,.....
keep on tumblin, just keep tumblin

TUMBLE ON MY FRIENDS!!!!

"And the trogdor comes in the night...."
"Not this night he doesn"t!!!....um Come in the night!!!um... Trogdor!!!"

-Vin Diesel was the person screaming when Boba Fett died.
-Vin Diesel will grant you three wishes if you can guess Yoda's last name.
-Vin Diesel is the only one to use all 2 gigabytes of Gmail space.
-Vin Diesel is Darth Vader's father.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Yeah, CNN did an april fools' joke.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

[quote="tumbletom]Yeah i know, im getting confused now....I heard that he died on CNN, but every one else is saying that he is close to death,.....[/quote]

It looks like there were early reports of his death by the Italian media, which the American MSM picked up on. The story was then countered by the Vatican, and it's taking time for the correction to work it's way through the system.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Alex Moon wrote: It looks like there were early reports of his death by the Italian media, which the American MSM picked up on. The story was then countered by the Vatican, and it's taking time for the correction to work it's way through the system.
I have a feeling he has indeed died, but the Vatican didn't want it released just yet.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

The Vatican have denied his death but the doctors have no hope anymore.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I wouldn't be surprised if he does die sometime in the next 48 hours... but CNN is saying he's not dead yet.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

MSNBC's currently reporting that he's lost consciousness.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Poor old man. :(
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Jadeite wrote:Poor old man. :(
Yeah, poor anti-gay bigot. Boo-hoo.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Durandal wrote:
Jadeite wrote:Poor old man. :(
Yeah, poor anti-gay bigot. Boo-hoo.

Seriously, if you've got nothing better to do than gloat over the death of an old man, why don't you just fuck off? You don't like him. We got the picture when you stated that you took pleasure in this in the first reply of the thread. You're a sadist who takes pleasure in the pain, death, and fear of others, something you seem determined to establish as thoroughly as possible. We get it. Now how about you go wank to old men dying of Parkinson's somewhere where the rest of us don't have to deal with it?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Durandal wrote:Yeah, poor anti-gay bigot. Boo-hoo.
Yeah, someone who has more balls than you'll ever have in your
life, Brylcreem boy; he stood up to the Nazis and the Communists
all in one life; survived an assassination attempt by the Bulgarians,
and gave moral support to Solidarity in Poland which helped
undermine Communist rule over Eastern Europe.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

MKSheppard wrote:
Durandal wrote:Yeah, poor anti-gay bigot. Boo-hoo.
Yeah, someone who has more balls than you'll ever have in your life, Brylcreem boy; he stood up to the Nazis and the Communists all in one life; survived an assassination attempt by the Bulgarians, and gave moral support to Solidarity in Poland which helped undermine Communist rule over Eastern Europe.
Go fuck yourself. I'm sure that you already knew that Hitler rode his bike around the trenches in WWI delivering messages; maybe I should shed some tears for him, too. After all, he had balls and was indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions, too.
Rogue 9 wrote:Seriously, if you've got nothing better to do than gloat over the death of an old man, why don't you just fuck off? You don't like him. We got the picture when you stated that you took pleasure in this in the first reply of the thread. You're a sadist who takes pleasure in the pain, death, and fear of others, something you seem determined to establish as thoroughly as possible. We get it. Now how about you go wank to old men dying of Parkinson's somewhere where the rest of us don't have to deal with it?
Oh look! The Whiny Cunt is queefing! I treat the Pope's death the same way I treat the death of other notorious bigots, like Strom Thurmond and (hopefully very soon) Jerry Falwell. Good fucking riddance. This thread is about the Pope's death, which I am posting with regards to.

If you want to post a "moment of silence" thread for him, go right ahead, and I won't interfere. But in here, I'm perfectly justified in reminding everyone that the guy's an arch-conservative who blamed his priests' tendencies of fucking little boys on homosexuality, categorically refused to reexamine Church policy with regards to priests marrying as a possible remedy, actively stifled efforts to educate Africans in the use of contraceptives and has repeatedly condemned medical research that could save millions of lives.

Here's a hint folks. When someone puts his religious beliefs above the well-being of other people, society generally considers him to be a delusional fanatic. So, Shep and Rogue 9, I expect to see you at Pat Robertson's funeral to offer moving speeches about what a stand-up guy he was.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Psycho Smiley
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Psycho Smiley »

Death seems to bring out the selective memories in people. Yes, he did good stuff. But remember the shit he was pulling just before he was incapacitated? The whole "Homosexuality is an Ideology of EVIL!!!111one" bit? I'm not sitting here waiting for him to die, but the only regret I have over it is that they'll probably pick someone worse to replace him.
An Erisian Hymn:
Onward Christian Soldiers, / Onward Buddhist Priests.
Onward, Fruits of Islam, / Fight 'till you're deceased.
Fight your little battles, / Join in thickest fray;
For the Greater Glory / of Dis-cord-i-a!
Yah, yah, yah, / Yah-yah-yah-yah plfffffffft!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Psycho Smiley wrote:Death seems to bring out the selective memories in people. Yes, he did good stuff. But remember the shit he was pulling just before he was incapacitated? The whole "Homosexuality is an Ideology of EVIL!!!111one" bit? I'm not sitting here waiting for him to die, but the only regret I have over it is that they'll probably pick someone worse to replace him.
Yep. It's always sad to see human beings die, because they've just run out of eternity and are now gone forever, but yes, honestly, John Paul II only brought the Church into the early 20th century. The next Pope will likely be pretty reactionary, as will the next few that follow him.

In, perhaps, a century, the Church will finally catch up with the 21st century...
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

As an aside, I remember recently reading that Cardinal McCarrick in the US was asked about the future of the Catholic Church in the US, and he described all the problems they've had of late as "a purification, but purifications are good."

I can't imagine why, but I get nervous whenever I hear Catholic leaders using words like 'purification'.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Psycho Smiley wrote:Death seems to bring out the selective memories in people. Yes, he did good stuff. But remember the shit he was pulling just before he was incapacitated? The whole "Homosexuality is an Ideology of EVIL!!!111one" bit? I'm not sitting here waiting for him to die, but the only regret I have over it is that they'll probably pick someone worse to replace him.
They also have to do everything in their power to prolong his life for as long as possible. The Pope would have wanted it that way. Death in any way, shape or form is wrong and against the will of God. So lets get him hooked up to those machines and hopefully they wont have to pick another pope for a very long time!
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Jesus, St. Peter's square is packed with people. :shock:
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Aya wrote:Jesus, St. Peter's square is packed with people. :shock:
This surprises you?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Go fuck yourself. I'm sure that you already knew that Hitler rode his bike around the trenches in WWI delivering messages; maybe I should shed some tears for him, too. After all, he had balls and was indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions, too.
He isnt even directly responsible, and I have shot down that notion half a dozen times in this thread. SO go fuck yourself.
an arch-conservative who blamed his priests' tendencies of fucking little boys on homosexuality
A shit load of people make that mistake, it doesnt mean they deserve death
ategorically refused to reexamine Church policy with regards to priests marrying as a possible remedy,
That categorically wouldnt help. Pedophilia is not caused by lack of sex, and even married pedophiles would still molest children.
actively stifled efforts to educate Africans in the use of contraceptives
COntraceptives that most of them cannot afford regardless, and would probably not use anyway? The pope took a stupid p[osition, but even if you removed him from the equation roughly the same number of people would probably have HIV. Because the pope urging people to use condoms would probably have the same effect as him urging abstinence. IE nothing. The female in the patriarchal societies in africa cont exactly have enough leverage over their nearly all-powerful husbands to insist on condom use.
and has repeatedly condemned medical research that could save millions of lives.
Again a stupid postion, but it hardly matters becuase stem cewll resarch is progressing regardless. It doesnt make him evil and deserving of a painful death
I expect to see you at Pat Robertson's funeral to offer moving speeches about what a stand-up guy he was.
I dont even wish death on him. DO I not like him? Yes. Am I overly fond of the pope? No. But wishing pain on either of them is fucking disgusting and makes you no better than the very delusional fanatic that you loathe so much.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:He isnt even directly responsible, and I have shot down that notion half a dozen times in this thread. SO go fuck yourself.
You mean he didn't incite the hatred among the German population for Jews that made the Holocaust socially acceptable? Oh, well color me corrected! Go blow a goat, and stop pretending that your nitpicks have any relevance to what I've said. :roll:
A shit load of people make that mistake, it doesnt mean they deserve death
Go play with your strawman somewhere else. I never said the Pope deserved to die. I said "Good riddance." Just because I don't shed tears when someone dies doesn't mean I was sitting around wishing he'd die. Are you so fucking blind by your desire to play "Champion of the Weak" that you can't tell the difference?
COntraceptives that most of them cannot afford regardless, and would probably not use anyway? The pope took a stupid p[osition, but even if you removed him from the equation roughly the same number of people would probably have HIV. Because the pope urging people to use condoms would probably have the same effect as him urging abstinence. IE nothing. The female in the patriarchal societies in africa cont exactly have enough leverage over their nearly all-powerful husbands to insist on condom use.
What part of "stifled efforts to educate" is escaping you, precisely? It's one thing if he let them know about condoms and then preached abstinence anyway, but it's something else entirely to actively make sure they are deprived of information critical to their survival of the AIDS epidemic, you fucking moron. He didn't even give them a choice.
Again a stupid postion, but it hardly matters becuase stem cewll resarch is progressing regardless. It doesnt make him evil and deserving of a painful death
He's a delusional old man who puts his religious beliefs above the well-being of his fellow human beings. Oh what a great loss the world will have endured when he finally kicks the bucket. :roll:
I dont even wish death on him. DO I not like him? Yes. Am I overly fond of the pope? No. But wishing pain on either of them is fucking disgusting and makes you no better than the very delusional fanatic that you loathe so much.
Hey, retard, show me one place where I ever said that I wished the Pope would die. I said "good riddance." I say that when gangsta rappers get shot and killed too. Doesn't mean I'm sitting around all day thinking, "Boy I hope 50-cent gets shot in the back of the head by some gang-banger holding his gun sideways!" all day. Christ, get over yourself.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

You mean he didn't incite the hatred among the German population for Jews that made the Holocaust socially acceptable? Oh, well color me corrected! Go blow a goat, and stop pretending that your nitpicks have any relevance to what I've said.
Hey tard, he was in his teens and early 20s during WW2 and living in poland. He had NOTHIGN whatsoever to do with thyat, and is thus not reponsible. SHit, as a pole, he was just as likely to get shot in the street as any jew.

Go play with your strawman somewhere else. I never said the Pope deserved to die. I said "Good riddance." Just because I don't shed tears when someone dies doesn't mean I was sitting around wishing he'd die. Are you so fucking blind by your desire to play "Champion of the Weak" that you can't tell the difference?
Taking joy in someones suffering and death is functionally the same damn thing. And by saying "good riddance" you acknowledge the fact that they somehow deserve that fate.

What part of "stifled efforts to educate" is escaping you, precisely? It's one thing if he let them know about condoms and then preached abstinence anyway, but it's something else entirely to actively make sure they are deprived of information critical to their survival of the AIDS epidemic, you fucking moron. He didn't even give them a choice.
The majority of africa is illiterate and dont even know what a virus IS. Condoms would not have been used effectively by those at the highest risk for HIV regardless, Shit they cant exactly go down the 7-11 and buy a 20 pack of trojans. They barely survive day to day. The best thing to do is preach abstinence in that situation. Oh, wait... rape is common, and condoms arent generally used in rapes.

Besides there are other organizations in the area, to put it lightly, your experimental parameters are not controlled. Yes, condoms are the way to solve the AIDS epidemic, but that wont happen in southern africa because of economic, not religious factors, and they are doomed to a population crash
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Besides all this talk about HIV/AIDS in africa is misleading as I have linked to previously... I give you CAFOD. (Catholic Agency for Oversees Devolpment)
CAFOD sees the HIV pandemic as one of the greatest development crises facing humankind and fully recognises the multiple social, cultural, economic and other factors that influence behaviour.

CAFOD believes that in the long term, behavioural change is the most important and fundamental way to reduce the spread of HIV....

CAFOD's experience shows that consistent and sustained behaviour change is part of a complex and long-term process and is rarely achieved quickly.

CAFOD therefore recognises that the promotion of harm minimisation is often a necessary and crucial shorter-term strategy.

Consequently CAFOD asks all partners working in the area of HIV prevention to give individuals full information about all means of HIV prevention and that this advice is scientifically correct....

CAFOD does not support programmes that give false or misleading information about prevention (for example that HIV will inevitably pass through holes in latex; or that condoms contain HIV; or on the other hand, that the use of condoms guarantees 100 percent ‘safe’ sex). This distorts truth, damages credibility, can alienate rather than engage individuals and others involved in mitigating the spread of HIV. It also inhibits the development of effective partnerships.

As the official agency of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales and respectful of Catholic teaching and beliefs, CAFOD does not fund the supply, distribution or promotion of condoms.

CAFOD actively supports on-going theological reflection on the implications of prevention for HIV and asks what should our response be as Catholics in ‘This Time of AIDS.
What relevence does CAFOD have? well in the previous Website I was able to link to the section where it explained exactly CAFOD's position as a key partner in determining The RC's approach to Aid and education about HIV in Africa I'm still looking now.
CAFOD hosts the AIDS Funding Network Group of Catholic funding agencies from the North. The Group’s mandate is to address policy and resourcing issues for HIV programmes
[/Quote Clearly the idea that the Church is out there saying Condemns Bad full stop is false. The church's Aid Agencies are saying Condemns can prevent Aids, but we won't provide them nor do we say it is the best approach, what is the best approach is Abstince.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Hey tard, he was in his teens and early 20s during WW2 and living in poland. He had NOTHIGN whatsoever to do with thyat, and is thus not reponsible. SHit, as a pole, he was just as likely to get shot in the street as any jew.
If durandal would read "Rising '44" by Norman Davies, there's a paragraph
about the future pope having to hide from the Nazis.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:You mean he didn't incite the hatred among the German population for Jews that made the Holocaust socially acceptable? Oh, well color me corrected! Go blow a goat, and stop pretending that your nitpicks have any relevance to what I've said.
Hey tard, he was in his teens and early 20s during WW2 and living in poland. He had NOTHIGN whatsoever to do with thyat, and is thus not reponsible. SHit, as a pole, he was just as likely to get shot in the street as any jew.[/quote]

Nice job making yourself look like a complete ass. I thought you were a double major in biology and bio-chemistry. How the fuck did you get there without being able to read?

I was talking about Hitler, you nimrod.
Taking joy in someones suffering and death is functionally the same damn thing. And by saying "good riddance" you acknowledge the fact that they somehow deserve that fate.
Horse shit. It's saying that there is no loss or that society has had a net gain from his death. (Though I'll concede that this is probably not true in the Pope's case, since he'll likely be replaced with an even bigger arch-conservative dinosaur.)

If Michael Jackson or OJ Simpson got shot and killed tomorrow, I'd say the same thing. Doesn't mean I'm sitting here wishing it would happen. Know why? Because if it doesn't happen, I don't lose any sleep over it. That's the thing with wishing for something. You go unfulfilled if you don't get it.

But go ahead and keep trying to label me as some inhuman monster for openly saying "Good riddance" when a notorious bigot kicks the bucket.
The majority of africa is illiterate and dont even know what a virus IS. Condoms would not have been used effectively by those at the highest risk for HIV regardless, Shit they cant exactly go down the 7-11 and buy a 20 pack of trojans. They barely survive day to day. The best thing to do is preach abstinence in that situation. Oh, wait... rape is common, and condoms arent generally used in rapes.
Ah, so if the Pope couldn't solve the problem completely, it was okay to take the exact opposite position of the one any rational person with half a sense of decency should have. Gotcha.
Besides there are other organizations in the area, to put it lightly, your experimental parameters are not controlled. Yes, condoms are the way to solve the AIDS epidemic, but that wont happen in southern africa because of economic, not religious factors, and they are doomed to a population crash
And so it was A-OK for the Pope to stop secular aid workers from distributing and teaching Africans about condoms. Wow, your logic gets better as you get more fed up and desperate.
Damien Sorresso

- The Onion