Anyone interested in a pre-Industrial fantasy STGOD?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Anyone interested in a pre-Industrial fantasy STGOD?

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Agreed regarding the points are points thing.

Regarding the trade and map issues, I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Also, my apologies, but a note regarding tech. limitations- while some quick research has reminded me that yes, steam power was in use in the time period this game covers, steam tanks would probably be pushing it. I might allow them, but I would prefer it if they are treated as cutting-edge tech. in very limited numbers.

And now I really must get to work on a proper OOC/rules thread.
I was literally just throwing out unit names, but honestly loads of fantasy has dwarves with things like tractors and steam powered vehicles. Still, if you'd rather, I could always replace steam tank, with rolling golem and it would be the same thing with a different tech behind it.

EDIT: Not saying that I would go for that, but a 'tank' could just be a set of magically animated rollers that carry an armored box. The gun could be air magic pushing a rock, an arm shoving/throwing something out through a hole, or even a ballista firing a bolt. Maybe they're crewed by rune priests, maybe the magics need to be tamed by a mage constantly directing the energies that animate the war engine, or maybe a crew of soldiers can be taught the right ministrations to make the tank rumble onward.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

How would, er, "floating" cities fare?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, as I said, I'm trying to keep a pre-industrial setting, which is why I set 1800 as the tech. limit.

However, I also don't wish to be too restrictive.

Coming up with creative ways to replicate modern technology with magic is good, but powerful magic will cost an appropriate number of points.

Ditto floating cities.

How exactly that will work is something I'm working on fleshing out right now.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, as I said, I'm trying to keep a pre-industrial setting, which is why I set 1800 as the tech. limit.

However, I also don't wish to be too restrictive.

Coming up with creative ways to replicate modern technology with magic is good, but powerful magic will cost an appropriate number of points.

Ditto floating cities.

How exactly that will work is something I'm working on fleshing out right now.
I think you're overthinking the setting too much right now. Lay out the idea, open the planning thread, and let people throw any and all ideas out. If people think something is going to be unbalanced or not fun to interact with, we're more than happy to say so.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

How do people feel about non human races? I've got a few hundred sketched up ready to be deployed as opportunities or encounters, but like the huts in civ2

I understand and like points are points are points. I'd like some nice clear constraints on the magic, it helps stimulate creativity.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

OOC/Rules thread:

https://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic ... 5&t=164234

This is, of course, preliminary, and I am aware that some of it is likely somewhat obvious/redundant. This is just to get things started.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:To the second point, that seems a reasonable point. On the other hand, I do worry that allowing interactions with factions off the map will result in people being tempted to Godmode a bit. I suppose it relies on a certain amount of restraint and good taste from participants, but that is always true.
You'll have the same problem if PC nations interact with NPCs in any capacity, and if anything the consequences are worse when it's godmoding happening in the other players' backyards.

It's not so much that I think we should have a pile of overseas interaction, as that we should refrain from banning or ruling out anything unless there is a specific reason to do so.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

constraints breed creativity. and if theres one thing this board likes its getting around rules and feeling clever.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Jub wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:By pre-made entities, do you mean stuff borrowed from existing series? Like playing as a faction based on, say, Gondor from LotR or something like that?

As I recall, we've had people draw inspiration and ideas from existing works in previous STGODs, so I see no reason not to allow it now unless its something really out their. Let's say generally permitted, pending approval of your OOB like any other faction. When I post the OOC thread, I'll make sure to include a statement to that effect.
More use something I had previously made for a previous game or just as an idea. By the by, what does OOB stand for again? Or STGOD, for that matter. I can guess that STGOD=RPG and that OOB is probably a nation sheet but I am curious as to know the exact meanings and possible origins.
OOB = Order of Battle and STGOD = Strange, the good old days. I'm not 100% sure where STGOD came from though.
TGOD = The Good Old Days. Why it has that name I don't know (it was an ASVS thing, IIRC). But basically it was crazy "battles" between members where anything could - and often did - happen. STGOD is actually Structured TGOD and basically meant that there are rules now. So essentially a forum game but with a unique name steeped in old ASVS history.

EDIT: Phong provides an answer to "why TGOD" here. Also, enjoy this little jaunt to a decade ago, when the forum was a very different place indeed. :)
madd0ct0r wrote:constraints breed creativity. and if theres one thing this board likes its getting around rules and feeling clever.
Well, that and people endlessly fighting over them.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

madd0ct0r wrote:constraints breed creativity. and if theres one thing this board likes its getting around rules and feeling clever.
I want constraints imposed on what my nation can do, not on where I can go, though.

It's like saying, "there is a wall here, no one can cross it" is a bad constraint. Whereas saying "you have to cross this wall using only chewing gum, a rubber clown nose, and six pieces of balsa wood" is or can be a good constraint.

Although even those can be toxic if they force people to abandon creative ideas that would work because they "can't do that."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I think I would like to play in this as well. I plan on playing a faction heavily inspired by the dragons from the Eberron campaign setting of DnD. This would let me be a bit slower to react if real life stuff came up as the dragons are debating what to do and operate on time scales that are different from humans.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm surprised to see anyone posting in this thread now. This was just an opening discussion/interest thread. The main OOC thread is here:

https://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic ... 5&t=164234

But we should have some room for more people on the map, and while I'm not a DnD player and not terribly familiar with it, dragons are always welcome.