SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by KlavoHunter »

Now that I've seen both... I wonder what Athena would do if it found the Datton?
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I decided that what not!DS9 really needs is a hostile, scenery-chewing mad scientist to harass it. Ask me if you have any questions.

(By the way, other people can totally do stuff like this if they want, it's not a mod thing)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Manestramancy: the study of the magical properties of noodles. Since the conquest of the Flying Spaghetti Monsters by mercenaries in the pay of the Galactic Fork Lobby in 2241, all manestramantic readings have been bloody, depressing, or bloody depressing. Sometimes all three.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Ugh, moving house interfearing with my writing >.<

I'll try to get this stuff out but it might be delayed, and I see Captain Webbeard has competition down near not!DS9
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm still working on a post with some Space Nomads...Fanfic writing is interfering in that though. And since Rabid is MIA they won't be Nation people, just a new race.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Competition? For all I know, Webbeard and Dr. Singh are working for the same guy.

Also, Rabid's bowing out. The Nation is NPCs.
Rabid wrote:Not... really. I don't have any motivation anymore to participate in the game.

Other people are basically free to treat the Nation as an NPC, and do with them as their RP see fit.

If they have doubts over what to do with my guys, tell them to send me an MP (I'm notified by email each time I have one), and we'll discuss it.

The basic rules are as follow :

- If someone declare war on the Nation (not just some "border skirmishes", but actual war), the Nation declare Holy War and their worlds get nuked and asteroid'ed to hell and back. [or not, depending on how the war goes -SJ] Other than that, they trade with everyone, and accept everyone into the ranks of the Doxa.
I tell this to you as the gamemaster : they don't have a secret stash of warships. My current order of battle is all the warships they have in service, and none are in reserve. To this day they never had a problem with that (The Communes aren't defenseless, and it'd take a real warship to damage one, so they are relatively protected from pirates). So in case of actual war (Holy War), they'd start mass producing light "suicide" ships (cloning the few pilotes they have and placing copies of their memories in them), which take only like one or two month to produce, and produce thousands of them to swarm the enemy fleets as the bigger ships lay waste to the enemy planets from orbit.

- They have a high percentage of psychic in their population, and they see psychics as people with stronger link to the Flame than 'normals'. As such they are well respected. Thus, the Nation would tend to lack respect for those who would mistreat psychics.
They have academies dedicated to the training of their psychics, and the study of these powers ; and are always happy to participate to exchange programs with other powers [with the condition that they treat their psychics well ; as such the centrality is "persona non grata", so to speak]

- Apart from that, they trade and are friendly with everyone as long as they are treated well in return...

I'm really sorry for the disturbance, especially given how I put my guys everywhere, but I'm sure you guys will find the opportunity to turn that into something good.
Note that when PCs go up against NPCs, I will generally favor the PC as long as they keep it reasonable-ish-ish.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Space Muslims will have words with you, Greek, for insinuating that 0 is not a number!

Maybe after my final on Wednesday...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Well, it isn't: I submit to you Book VII of Euclid, Definitions 1 and 2. Gods know I trust Euclid over the lies and deceptions of somebody who wears a turbanputer.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Umerian wanders by, muttering and consulting slide rule]

"A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent in a universe of five or seven dimensions... if only we lived in one..."
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Living in one dimension would be awfully dull, don't you think? A bit too straightforward for my taste.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hey, Skywalker, how do you feel about an empire of fire-breathing dragons taking up residence somewhere to antispinward of you?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Silly dragons, you can't breathe fire in space.

Unless they breathe thermite... :wtf:

Oh, and I'm still alive in this thing. Have a post half-done. Just need to find the creativity to finish it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm fine with that Simon...gives the Arcadian/VIKING dragon's some competition.

And I'm still trying to get something up...hopefully soon...
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hey, Skywalker, how do you feel about an empire of fire-breathing dragons taking up residence somewhere to antispinward of you?
Better hope he as a Space Swedish Dovakiin then.

House move complete, I can get back to writing, woo, should have some stuff up myself soon.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

OmegaChief wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Hey, Skywalker, how do you feel about an empire of fire-breathing dragons taking up residence somewhere to antispinward of you?
Better hope he as a Space Swedish Dovakiin then.
"Is that Dragonborn, you wondered? Too bad! It was just Sayaka-chan!"

Writer's block, my old nemesis, has had me in its grasp for the past month or thereabouts. Just when I'm about to break free, its grip tightens.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shinn, what you need is a collaborator. When I'm having a month like yours, I just wait for the other fellow to get bored and finish my post for me... ;)

(Apologies to ECR; I SHOULD have enough free time this weekend to actually get something more done)
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

So Simon...where exactly are these Dragon's going to pop up? Should be interesting to see the VIKING reaction for sure. :P
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

oh god

you guys

i'm gonna not be posting anything for a while

because I'm really sick, coughing a lot

my throat is in so much pain, it got better and I was coughing up the shit responsible, but my body decided to be a dick and start the problem all over again
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I'm sure you'll feel better in a week.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Well, an update. I have glandular fever. Explains why I kept getting tired the past few months. Ugh.

Apparently, glandular fever seems to be a recurring problem in my family.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm still working on my nation but I was thinking of taking an area comprised of Q30 to V30, R29 to U29, and S28. Sort of a series of outward expansions from their home world. I can only assume they would have done the same through row 31, but I'm going to guess there are some nasty sholes out that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That's a bit awkward for backstory reasons; we could do it, but I'd want to talk to several people. Could you bear to be up in the neighborhood of C10? Big open space there.

By the way, I don't normally want to insist on there being some kind of shoal barrier in place at the edge of the map. Ships can travel off-map, it's just that life gets pretty boring in most places off-map. Most.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

No worries, everything fits in C10 and there don't need to be shoals. Perhaps there was just nothing of interest or even the dragons have, there be dragons, listed on that section of map.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Well, I'm still alive. Just not quite following as much as I should. In any case, the Bastians would probably enjoy good relations with the dragon people, considering the pantheon of their biggest religion is made up of dragons of sorts, with dashes of sun worship in there, too. In their temples, they don't have a statue. In the past, they'd have a big fire. As technology progressed, they'd place a big ball of plasma in there. They're not exactly going to be fooled into thinking they are their gods, considering those dragon people aren't constantly on fire/made of fire.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sigh, nothing posted in story? This is starting to get worrying. Anyway, put this up as part of the contact thread.

By the way, SDNW5 runs on GODDAMN UNREAL TIME. The fact that it's February over where Umerians are meeting ECR's politically active von Neumann machines is irrelevant to anyone else's stuff. At some point we'll have to agree that it's "Quarter two" or something, but until more people have actually said and done things I don't want to do that.