SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

OmegaChief wrote:Given the Belkans? That would not be a very safe place for you to be.
Ok for some reason I thought the Belkans were Skywalkers Space Sweds -_-
No keep me the hell away from the Belkans. Bah I was really hoping to be near the badlands. But I also wanted to be near Dark, and now they are on opposite sides. Not sure how I feel being next to a Behemoth like the League of Thought either.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
OmegaChief wrote:Given the Belkans? That would not be a very safe place for you to be.
No keep me the hell away from the Belkans. Bah I was really hoping to be near the badlands. But I also wanted to be near Dark, and now they are on opposite sides. Not sure how I feel being next to a Behemoth like the League of Thought either.
The League is huge but sparsly populated remember, so they're not quite as scary to be next to as you think!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Think of the possibilities Crossroads.. you can buy Hellenic rocketspears and such to defend yourselves against the belkans.. there's a trade storyline here.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

@ Simon & White_Haven :

Do you have an objection to me putting Terminus and it shoal blob between you two empire ? Remember they are a real pirate nest (with raiding parties often adventuring to the neighboring sectors), and dislodging them from there would be really hard, as the place is almost impossible to navigate if you don't have the appropriate maps (which the Doxa may or may not have...).

Terminus : [X-15]
And the 8 neighboring sectors as hyperspace shoals

Ascension : [V-14/15/16] (preferably [V-15])

The Hub : [R/S/T - 14/15/16] or [Q-15]
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Darkevilme wrote:Think of the possibilities Crossroads.. you can buy Hellenic rocketspears and such to defend yourselves against the belkans.. there's a trade storyline here.
Hellenic rocketspears may not be of much help against rogue magical girls and Space Sukhois should the Belkans get antsy, but if he still thinks he needs them, I won't stop him from buying Hellenic arms. That's neither here nor there, though.
Rabid wrote:@ Simon & White_Haven :

Do you have an objection to me putting Terminus and it shoal blob between you two empire ? Remember they are a real pirate nest (with raiding parties often adventuring to the neighboring sectors), and dislodging them from there would be really hard, as the place is almost impossible to navigate if you don't have the appropriate maps (which the Doxa may or may not have...).

I may end up moving the Holy Empire into where you want to place the Hub, so you may want to think of an alternate location for it.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Eh, throw me kind of halfway between the Kryptonians and the Holy Empire, at least for now.

Also, the Grand Dominion is entirely the wrong color.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:I may end up moving the Holy Empire into where you want to place the Hub, so you may want to think of an alternate location for it.
Could you show me where exactly ? So I can re-adjust the whole thing.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If anyone would (like Esquire) care to create a picture of what they want so I can see it, that would be nice. Might be easier to figure out how to square everyone's ideas.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:I'll buck the trend and ask to be put a bit to the left of the "Badlands" so I am still a bit out of the way.
I am hoping the Chams and Omni may be near by. But we shall see.
"Out of the way" and "near other people" are often mutually exclusive. As a micronation, placement is more important because you can't defend yourself against exploitation. So I would counsel you to wait a bit and see where the people you want to be near go.
Panzersharkcat wrote:
Panzersharkcat wrote:1 2
3 4 5

5 = Neith
4 = Bastet
3 = Horus
2 = Sobek
1 = Isis

Sector names and relative positions. Neith should be around I-16.
Noted. Will factor this into the next map draft.
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Okay then, my map should look like this (at least at the moment):

Arcadia: H7
Reach: H6
Kursk: I7
Miyazaki: I6
London: I5
Berlin: H8
Nome: G6

Does that work? (of course, this is assuming I don't end up next to the Holy Empire...but if this works better then by all means use it).

Remember that you MAY be next to the Holy Empire IF you wish, it is your choice, it just depends on whether you want to wait for Shinn to make up his mind about where he goes.
Darkevilme wrote:The neighbours i want:
Hellenic confederacy
League of thought
UISC
Capella

I'm thinking maybe T-25 or T-27 as the general area of my empire
Noted. Will factor this into the next map draft. What is the proper shape of your empire? Can you create an image of the shape?
Beowulf wrote:Up is coreward, right is spinward. For the sake of choosing a spot, the rectangle with the corners AA25 and BB27, and I'd like to draw some shoals into CC25 through DD27
KhorneFlakes wrote:I'd like to be put at Y3 for the moment. May move it if it doesn't fit.
When I know the size, shape, and identity of your nation, I will consider this.
Rabid wrote:@ Simon & White_Haven :

I'll hear this out pending discussion with White Haven.

I am well content to have ravening pirates in shoals on my rimward frontier, it gives the atomic rocket cruisers of the Stellar Patrol turret ships of the Space Security Force something to do for a living. It will help distract from the ork problem that may or may not exist on my coreward frontier.

Be advised, Umeria has little respect for the Nation's religious strictures within its own borders, the League is a violent and expansionist neighbor, and you are dangerously close to being caught in the predictable crossfire between the nukophiliacs of Shepistan (who hate all psychics) and the League (who are all psychics).

Timothy is OK with getting caught between them. Are you?

Also, from your description the Hub is out of warp gate 'free jump' range of your other sectors. Is that intentional, or did I misunderstand?
Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:I may end up moving the Holy Empire into where you want to place the Hub, so you may want to think of an alternate location for it.
I think Shinn has precedence on where to put his nation, because he has specific desires for neighbors and so on, whereas Rabid's ideas work more or less wherever he goes.
Akhlut wrote:Eh, throw me kind of halfway between the Kryptonians and the Holy Empire, at least for now.
Since we don't know where the Holy Empire is, can we wait on that? Also, it might make just as much sense for your guys to occupy the corners of a triangle, along with the Bastians and Kryptonians, not so?
Also, the Grand Dominion is entirely the wrong color.
I painted them Confederate-colored.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Sure thing, I can dig some shoals in that vicinity. Also, being hemmed in by a pirate-infested hellhole dovetails quite nicely with the League's history as a nation.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Here's an attempt to help Simon with drawing the map :

[derp]

Yellow is Ascension and Terminus (Terminus on the right and Ascension on the left)
Green is the shoals (note that Terminus itself is also a shoal)
Blue is the sectors where it would make some sense if you put The Hub there (I would prefer if it was one of the three sectors with a red-dot, but I'm not gonna cry if it isn't the case)

Simon_Jester wrote:I'll hear this out pending discussion with White Haven.

I am well content to have ravening pirates in shoals on my rimward frontier, it gives the atomic rocket cruisers of the Stellar Patrol turret ships of the Space Security Force something to do for a living. It will help distract from the ork problem that may or may not exist on my coreward frontier.

Be advised, Umeria has little respect for the Nation's religious strictures within its own borders, the League is a violent and expansionist neighbor, and you are dangerously close to being caught in the predictable crossfire between the nukophiliacs of Shepistan (who hate all psychics) and the League (who are all psychics).

Timothy is OK with getting caught between them. Are you?
It would be ironic for Shep to see his own worlds nuked, exterminated to hell and back, and finally reduced to molten slag by month-longs kinetic bombardments in an Holy War, wouldn't it ? :mrgreen:
Simon_Jester wrote:Also, from your description the Hub is out of warp gate 'free jump' range of your other sectors. Is that intentional, or did I misunderstand?
Well, I would like it if the Hub were to be roughly at the center of the map, or at least close from the Center-of-Gravity of the game, so to speak. If it isn't compatible with the idea of having it at free warp-gate range from Ascension, then so be it.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Thinking of it, I think I'll wait for the map to be a bit more populated before putting up a fixed position for The Hub.

It would also make sense if my Nomads Sectors where to be dispatched only at the end.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Here's a possibly layout and location of the Volscian Confederacy, then:

I might alter distribution of points to trade off for a few more colony sectors though (needs more sprawl!) and I'm open to moving around a bit. Sort of want to have Belka on my doorstep and get a good traditional Belkan War going, but it's not essential.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Going off of Rabid's proposed locations for the Hub, I would like to request the plus sign that is The Commonwealth to be placed near the Hub, between 1 & 3 sectors to the left on the map.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Not sure where to place myself, though I'm currently thinking of filling out the upper-left corner of the map....
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

I've taken a crack at trying to draw the map, now that I have an idea of where to put the Holy Empire.

Redrawn map HERE

The biggest change to the Holy Empire is that it's been moved up and flipped horizontally. My preliminary territorial layout was a bit of a relic from SDNW4 in terms of its arrangement.

Note that I'm using Esquire's proposal for the location of the Hellenes and the Chamarrans, in the absence of a better alternative. In any case, there should still be more than enough room for the Grays in the space I've provided between the Holy Empire and the Kryptonians (and they can still form a triangle with the Bastians and Kryptonians at the other corners, too), the Commonwealth should still be able to get placed near the Hub, Arcadia can move closer to the Holy Empire if it wants, and the Volscians can get a good traditional Belkan War going on their doorstep now that they're right next to the Belkans.

ImageImageImage
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I've thrown Bees into the mix, let me know if this hurts anyone. If so, remember that BEES.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Vanas, that's about what I had in mind, yeah. I was thinking to put you a little further out- also, I wasn't making allowances for the presence of that big blob of shoals getting in the way of everything, although I can work with it. It sounds like Rabid's still thinking about where he really wants to go, though.

The Mark II draft I make of the map will not contain the Nation's territories, because he is still making up his mind- he seems to have been reconsidering, rather than just putting himself right next to someone who happened to be on the map at first glance.

But what's that thing you drew on the map in light blue? It doesn't look to be a country, or pair of countries...
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I don't know but it looks like a huge hand giving a thumbs up.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Simon_Jester wrote:Vanas, that's about what I had in mind, yeah. I was thinking to put you a little further out- also, I wasn't making allowances for the presence of that big blob of shoals getting in the way of everything, although I can work with it. It sounds like Rabid's still thinking about where he really wants to go, though.

The Mark II draft I make of the map will not contain the Nation's territories, because he is still making up his mind- he seems to have been reconsidering, rather than just putting himself right next to someone who happened to be on the map at first glance.

But what's that thing you drew on the map in light blue? It doesn't look to be a country, or pair of countries...
Vanas was using Rabid's proposal for the Nation's location as a template. As explained by Rabid:
Rabid wrote:Blue is the sectors where it would make some sense if you put The Hub there (I would prefer if it was one of the three sectors with a red-dot, but I'm not gonna cry if it isn't the case)
On that note, have you taken a look at my own map proposal, by any chance?

ImageImageImage

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Well, thinking of the story potential, I like the current position of Terminus & Ascension. I also have no objection to having the bees just right next to me as shown on Vanas' map.

I'll wait for more external inputs before fixing the position of the Hub, but for now you can consider it is either in [S-14], [S-15] or [S-16], to be decided at the other's convenience.

@ Shinn : Yes, I've looked at your map, and I like it. It's what I wanted to say, in a clearer form.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:
Darkevilme wrote:Think of the possibilities Crossroads.. you can buy Hellenic rocketspears and such to defend yourselves against the belkans.. there's a trade storyline here.
Hellenic rocketspears may not be of much help against rogue magical girls and Space Sukhois should the Belkans get antsy, but if he still thinks he needs them, I won't stop him from buying Hellenic arms. That's neither here nor there, though..
Going to be a bit before I could buy outside ships if I wanted to... better to build my own, though I am up for selling low priced electronic goods the like of which the Galaxy has never seen before! Crimson Realities Inc. (A wholly owned RUDI subsidiary) will be happy to see computers, from video games to high end military mainframes to you!

*coughs* On map related notes. If things stand as they are, I am looking at being in the middle of the currently blank spot in right in the middle of the League, The Chams, the BEES and Shinn.

I will be right in the middle of everyone, but not actually "Next" to anyone, sort of in the middle of nowhere, which is kind of what I wanted orginally. That is if that empty zone doesn't get crowded later on.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Vanas, that's about what I had in mind, yeah. I was thinking to put you a little further out- also, I wasn't making allowances for the presence of that big blob of shoals getting in the way of everything, although I can work with it. It sounds like Rabid's still thinking about where he really wants to go, though.
Feel free to shuffle it around a bit, it's not as if Bees have a huge area to cover.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Crossroads Inc. wrote:*coughs* On map related notes. If things stand as they are, I am looking at being in the middle of the currently blank spot in right in the middle of the League, The Chams, the BEES and Shinn.

I will be right in the middle of everyone, but not actually "Next" to anyone, sort of in the middle of nowhere, which is kind of what I wanted orginally. That is if that empty zone doesn't get crowded later on.
Considering that Akhlut also wants to move into that area (assuming he still wants to be positioned between the Holy Empire and the Kryptonians), that empty space may be getting a bit crowded. Both your nation and the Grays are still relatively compact (Grays only have four sectors according to the nation description thread, while you have...two?), however, so there should still be some room for you. We could always move the Chamarrans and Hellenes down if more empty space is required there.

ImageImageImage

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Nothing is set in stone at this point, so it coulld be feasible to keep everyone in the same "Spot" but move everyone farther apart from each other to allow that central empty space to be more... Spacious.

That could work right?
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crossroads, I don't understand what you're suggesting.

If Crossroads' micronation were that close to the Grays, it's hard to explain why they haven't been assimilated by the Grays, who would have been merrily probing Crossroads' dudes for the past several thousand years just like they did to humans. You'd have to work that out with Akhlut.

I know you want to be near the heart of things, but let's prioritize placing old macronations (like the Grays) before young micronations (like Crossroadia), okay?

Also, hm. The Grays, Kryptonians, and Bastians were the three partners in the prehuman cold war, right? It might make more sense to locate the Grays up around P-8, imagining them as three corners of a triangle.

(Side note to Akhlut: I made the Dominion Confederate gray on the map. This can be changed at Lonestar's request, or if I think of a more appropriate color. It's not like there weren't multiple nations of nearly the same color on the SDNW4 map)