(Doctor Who) 14th Doctor Cast

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

(Doctor Who) 14th Doctor Cast

Post by Crazedwraith »

The BBC wrote: Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first non-white performer to play the lead role.

Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda, is best known for starring in Netflix's sitcom Sex Education.

He said he was "deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared" by his new role.

He added: "This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care.

"I will endeavour my upmost to do the same."

Gatwa will make his debut as the Time Lord in 2023.

Showrunner Russell T Davies said Gatwa "dazzled us" in his audition.

"Sometimes talent walks through the door and it's so bright and bold and brilliant, I just stand back in awe and thank my lucky stars," Davies said.

The Queer As Folk and It's A Sin writer is returning as the programme's showrunner after departing the show in 2009.

He posted a selfie with Gatwa arriving for Sunday's Bafta Television Awards, where the actor is nominated for best male performance in a comedy programme for the third year in a row for playing Eric in Sex Education.

As well as being nominated, Gatwa will also present an award at Sunday's ceremony.

He has already won a Scottish Bafta and a Rose d'Or Award for Sex Education.

Gatwa added that the prospect of working with Davies was "a dream come true".

He continued: "His writing is dynamic, exciting, incredibly intelligent and fizzing with danger - an actor's metaphorical playground. The entire team have been so welcoming and truly give their hearts to the show.

"And so as much as it's daunting, I'm aware I'm joining a really supportive family. Unlike the Doctor, I may only have one heart but I am giving it all to this show."

BBC chief content officer Charlotte Moore said: "Ncuti has an incredible dynamism, he's a striking and fearless young actor whose talent and energy will set the world alight and take Doctor Who on extraordinary adventures under Russell T Davies' new era."

Others welcoming Gatwa's appointment included Olly Alexander, who starred in Davies's drama It's A Sin and who was himself among those tipped for the Tardis. He wrote on Twitter that it was "amazing" news.

Scotland's Culture Secretary Angus Robertson congratulated Gatwa, writing: "Great to see success of this young Scottish acting talent and graduate of Royal Conservatoire of Scotland."

Doctor Who author and podcaster Juno Dawson said it was "perfect, perfect casting".

Whittaker took over as the Doctor in 2017 as the first female doctor.

She will bow out in a special episode to be broadcast this autumn. Her finale will also feature appearances from two previous assistants - Ace, played by Sophie Aldred, and Janet Fielding's Tegan.
Also of relevant something Diamanda Hagan pointed out on Twitter
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: (Doctor Who) 14th Doctor Cast

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I haven't seen any of his previous work, so I'll withhold any opinions until I've seen him in the role. I'm just glad the endless speculation is over.

EDIT: I should add I hope they write him like DS9's writers did with Sisko, where his physical appearance is only a thing when it's relevant to the story (like, say, they did another episode set in 1950's America, or like the aforementioned DS9's "Badda Bing Badda Bang."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

29 years old? And he plays a teenager on Sex Education? Damn. He's good. And well preserved. That'll go a long way towards a more ageless Doctor, especially after Capaldi.

I'm already dreading the likely *massive* backlash though. People are already whining about it on the book of faces...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm just glad it's a guy once again, turning the Doctor into a woman did not work for me.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ah, a black Dr. Who. Nice slap to the 'he's an old white guy' people.

If he does the part well, I double approve :)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Too young for my tastes, and I had no problems with Whitaker's doctor, but not having seen this guy before, I'm not willing to say he can't do the job well.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

More news Didn't really warrant a new thread.
David Tennant and Catherine Tate are to return to Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.

The pair are currently filming for the sci-fi show's 60th anniversary, which it will celebrate in 2023.

Tennant played the 10th Doctor on the time travel drama from 2005-2010, while Tate played companion Donna Noble.

The news comes a week after the BBC announced that Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa will be the next Doctor.

Tennant and Tate's involvement means they will be reunited with returning Doctor Who head writer Russell T Davies.

Davies, who was in charge of Doctor Who when it was successfully revived in 2005, left at the same time as Tennant. Their last episode together was broadcast in 2010.

Tennant has briefly returned before, joining then-Doctor Matt Smith for the programme's 50th anniversary in 2013.

It's not clear at this stage whether this return will be a similar one, with Tennant and Tate appearing alongside Gatwa.

Davies has teased fans, saying: "Maybe this is a missing story. Or a parallel world. Or a dream, or a trick, or a flashback. The only thing I can confirm is that it's going to be spectacular, as two of our greatest stars reunite for the battle of a lifetime."

Tennant and Tate's 2008 series of Doctor Who is the most successful that the show has had since its revival in 2005, with an average audience of more than eight million viewers per episode.

The 13-episode run also enjoyed a high degree of critical acclaim, and was nominated for best drama at that year's Bafta TV Awards.

The pair's popularity may well provide a ratings boost for a show which has seen its audience fall in the last two years, albeit against a background where all linear TV viewing has been dropping significantly.

Announcements such as this are often made ahead of Doctor Who imminently filming in public places. Revealing information ahead of shooting is a strategy that the show has used before.

Jodie Whittaker's current incarnation of the Doctor will appear in one more special episode later this year, as part of a collection of programmes celebrating the BBC's centenary. The show will then return in 2023.

Since leaving Doctor Who, Tennant has appeared in TV series including Good Omens, Around the World in 80 Days and Broadchurch. In 2021, he won a National Television Award for playing serial killer Dennis Nilsen in Des.

Tate has appeared in sitcoms like Big School, and has continued performing her well known Nan character - most recently in The Nan Movie released earlier this year.

The pair have also recorded a number of Doctor Who audio adventures which have been released by audio drama company Big Finish.
Remember when I was joking 14 would be Tennant again? I hope it a multi-doctor story for the anniversary rather than just a new Ten story.

I guess it's to be expected when you have a brand new Doctor for the anniversary year.

Pie in the Sky idea but I'd love to see Eccleston and/or much more McGann this time.

I can't believe Day Of The Doctor is nearly a decade old now. (well eight and a bit)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Whilst I haven't got the article to hand, I've also seen a BBC headline saying Bernard Cribbins is coming back as Donna's grandfather, which is a nice touch.

i agree I'd love to see McGann back.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-05-16 05:37pm
Pie in the Sky idea but I'd love to see Eccleston and/or much more McGann this time.
Well Eccleston has done a few seasons of Dr Who Audio drama's now so he has warmed a little on doing more who, but I'd still think it's very unlikely he'll return for the special.

Personally I'd like to see some of the classic doctors or at least something more like the 5(ish) doctors, that was probably the best of the 50th Anniversary releases.