Implications About Rekall (Total Recall)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Implications About Rekall (Total Recall)

Post by amigocabal »

In the 1990 movie (I had not seen the 2012 movie), Rekall advertised itself as giving virtual vacations via memory implants. Douglas Quaid did not know about ego trips until the salesman at Rekall told him about it. It seems ego trips were a recent enough innovation that it was not being widely advertised.

I speculate that in the future of that universe, Rekall focuses more on these ego trips. I mean, it's sort of like the premise of Quantum Leap- be anyone, do anything, go anywhere. People can relive childhood or adolescence. They can remember medieval Europe or a fantasy version of the future. They can be a dog or a cat or a horse or an ant. They can be historical figures like Abraham Lincoln or Genghis Khan, or fictional characters like Thor, Batman, or Goku.

I am surprised the implications of ego trips were not more fully explored.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Implications About Rekall (Total Recall)

Post by Batman »

What the everloving fuck has Total Recall (notice how there's no k in there?) got to do with Quantum Leap?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Batman wrote: 2020-09-19 08:59pm What the everloving fuck has Total Recall (notice how there's no k in there?) got to do with Quantum Leap?
Rekall, maybe ReKall, was the name of the company offering the 'ego trips'; Total Recall was the name of the movie.

I think he's drawing a parallel between the way Sam could 'leap' into other timelines and places, and the way that Rekall can plant a virtual trip in your mind. I can see it. I'm not sure there's much to actually discuss there, though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

amigocabal wrote: 2020-09-19 08:48pmI am surprised the implications of ego trips were not more fully explored.
This would be better explored in the form of a TV series. I'm pretty sure similar scenarios have been done before in other media; in one story I vaguely remember from somewhere, the users would jack into the VR world but it became addictive like a drug, and it got to the point to where the people would steal, rob and even murder, whatever it took so they could pay for another trip.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

First, we had the risks of psyczoid-embolisms from the ego-trip. (Remember the one doctor said 'we've got ANOTHER'), so the procedure is risky.
The more you do it, the riskier it probably gets. Cause fucking with the brain is always safe.

Second, you have to develop the memories, and make them suitable for general implantation (as opposed to implantation into a specific individual). The company only had 4 options listed. I'm willing to bet beside the 'love interest', it was all the same narrative. So, after 4 trips, you'd done them all.

Third, because of the limited number of narratives, it becomes more like you all used the same holodeck program.

Fourth, because of the medical risks, the government will eventually come down on it and regulate the shit out of it, meaning that you'd have to go through a screening process, meet medical requirements, etc, which would make it more expensive, more time consuming, and probably less attractive.

However, if you licked those problems for cheap, easy, safe mass production, yeah, it could be useful and fun.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.