What exactly is the trigger for Iron Man's weapons?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

What exactly is the trigger for Iron Man's weapons?

Post by Adam Reynolds »

How exactly do the suits know when to fire the repulsors or other mounted weapons? Is it a Jarvis/Friday thing or is it a biomechanics thing based on the way he is holding his hands?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: What exactly is the trigger for Iron Man's weapons?

Post by Lord Revan »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2021-08-02 02:35am How exactly do the suits know when to fire the repulsors or other mounted weapons? Is it a Jarvis/Friday thing or is it a biomechanics thing based on the way he is holding his hands?
It could be activated by the HUD the Iron Man suits have (at least in the MCU)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

The HUD is only a display (by definition) the system could be tracking his eye movement and fires based on that and other facial movements but then you'd have to be careful if you sneezed.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I was just checking, and in Iron Man 1 he uses the arm weapon without a helmet during testing, so it can't be the HUD at least in that scene. In Iron Man 3 he also fights and flies without the helmet, so it would have to be movement based in both cases. Though frankly I'm not sure how given that sometimes he moves in ways that don't seem like they would be a clear activation symbol

Though the precise targeted guns from Iron Man 1 are clearly HUD based as we see the system indicate targets before they fire. Flares are clearly verbally activated both times he uses them in that film as well, so it seems to be a mix of different things depending on the system. A few times we also just don't see inside the suit and he could very well be giving voice commands that we just don't hear.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Knowing Tony Stark's habits from the comics and movies, he probably had multiple built in firing methods.

i.e "If repulsor is held up, but no preasure on a back plate, begin impressive looking and sounding power up. If preasure is applied to the plate, fire repulsor for 2 second burst. If preasure is held on the plate, continuous firing. If flight mode is engaged...."
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

At the time of Iron Man 3, didn't he have a neural interface? So that could explain functions as the suits get way more complex.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Perhaps there are toe activated buttons in the suit's boots? I know a lot of actual arm prosthetics take advantage of the feet to activate various functions imperceptibly to most people who wouldn't think to look down.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

In addition to what others have said IIRC In Civil War he uses a one-handed sonic weapon / low power repulsor while fighting Winter Soldier and clenches his hand when firing.

May not be indicative of his other weapons for the full suit but it seems likely there is some kind of hand / wrist / arm movement involved.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Definite neural control in IM3-the damned Mk42 reacted to his 'nightmares'. Also possible tactile control in the boots/gloves. When wearing heavy boots/gloves you can usually wiggle your fingers/toes around some without your hands/feet actually moving, the suits may use that for triggering functions
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'