Volume of Xyston-class Star Destroyer?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Vance
Youngling

Volume of Xyston-class Star Destroyer?

Post by Vance »

Hey,
The Xyston-class Star Destroyer in Rise of Skywalker is just over 2.4km long, so about 1.5x longer than a 1.6km ISD.

According to volumetrics at st-v-sw the 1.6km ISD has a volume of 69,534,240 cubic meters. That was based on 3d models in computer software from what I recall.

So my question is, scaling up proportionally from an ISD, what is the approximate volume of the Xyston star destroyer?
Does it scale up like a cube (3.37x volume)? I apologize for my ignorance :wink: :roll: and appreciate any help.
BlasTech.info
SAAA
Redshirt

Re: Volume of Xyston-class Star Destroyer?

Post by SAAA »

It is pretty much the same shape so yes, the factor is 1.5 in every dimension and you get a ship with 3.375 times the volume. The ventral cannon and missing hangar bay will increase it some % over that but not by much, just approximate to 3.4 times.

Sw-vs-st had different values for ISD volume over the years, the range is literally from 50 millions to 100 millions cubic meters. Biggest estimate is using Fractal sponge mesh if I recall, lowest uses a less wide destroyer.

Getting a good volume estimate from unofficial meshes is difficult anyway as it's extremely easy to make errors when making them, most people just model by eye or overlap to some images...
A better method would be looking at minis: there's a couple official Bandai models that are movie accurate to a terrific degree. I have the 1:14500 one and was thinking of either scanning or submerging it in water to obtain the volume (it isn't painted yet, so I should be able to seal it perfectly beforehand).

Final take: the Xyston may range from 170 to 340 million cubic meters, a better estimate would require future models if they ever release one or some official mesh measurement, if they ever include one in a game.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

It’s exactly the same as an ISD I, because that’s what it is. You can’t override the movie visuals via other media. The VD can go fuck itself.
SAAA
Redshirt

Post by SAAA »

Patroklos wrote: 2020-01-05 09:25am It’s exactly the same as an ISD I, because that’s what it is. You can’t override the movie visuals via other media. The VD can go fuck itself.
There's a moment where you can see the Resurgent star destroyer right next to them and it doesn't look that much larger compared to ISDs, like it would in this picture:

But I have to look the movie again to confirm.

As a side note, yes they were incredibly lazy by using the same exact design as in Rogue one… I bet they linearly upscaled windows too! XD
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

That’s exactly the point. We get to see the exact same exterior bridge features, then we get an interior shot showing us those same windows relative to a human.

The ships are just ISD Is with the exception of the stupid cannon. The film visuals trump all other media.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I don't understand the VD's motivation in denying that it's just an ISD. Abrams obviously chose the classic ISD for a reason, so why not simply own that decision? Why not just admit that they're ISDs retrofitted with superlasers via technobabble?

What is Pablo's angle here? It makes no sense to me.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-01-05 05:23pm I don't understand the VD's motivation in denying that it's just an ISD. Abrams obviously chose the classic ISD for a reason, so why not simply own that decision? Why not just admit that they're ISDs retrofitted with superlasers via technobabble?

I assume it's a merch thing. Completionists may be more drawn to get this model if it's officially different.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

It has a significant visual modification even if it is a ISD base hull, so such a person would get it anyway.

Where did this underslung thing come from anyway? Two movies now with they same stupid idea. Obviously anyone with any sci-fi cred would have gone with a spinal mount.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Patroklos wrote: 2020-01-05 06:20pmWhere did this underslung thing come from anyway?
Star Trek Into Darkness. It's an Abrams trope by now.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Patroklos wrote: 2020-01-05 06:20pm It has a significant visual modification even if it is a ISD base hull, so such a person would get it anyway.

Where did this underslung thing come from anyway? Two movies now with they same stupid idea. Obviously anyone with any sci-fi cred would have gone with a spinal mount.
In-universe, I would imagine they decided that since they already had all the ISD hulls, adding the weapon to the existing space of the hanger bay was easier than rebuilding them all with spinal mounts. It might also have made it easier to run power conduits from the reactors as well.

Our of universe, it, um, probably sounded like a cool idea?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-01-05 05:23pm I don't understand the VD's motivation in denying that it's just an ISD. Abrams obviously chose the classic ISD for a reason, so why not simply own that decision? Why not just admit that they're ISDs retrofitted with superlasers via technobabble?

Why assume Pablo has an angle? I think he is just an incompetent moron. This is the guy that insists Clone Wars season 2 episode 11 comes after episode 10 chronologically. Anyone that bothers to actually watch the episodes can clearly see the end scene of episode 11 leads directly into the beginning of episode 9 and should be watched before 9 and 10.

Any continuity ruling by Pablo should at best be heavily questioned and at worst disregarded entirely.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Insanity wrote: 2020-01-05 07:54pmAny continuity ruling by Pablo should at best be heavily questioned and at worst disregarded entirely.
That's probably for the best. He also invented some unnecessarily lame hyperspace woo-woo to explain the presence of the DS2's wreckage on Kef Bir.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Again, we see all this in the movie. There is no DSII wreckage approximating what we see in TROS, and the VD can go fuck itself. We have two movies in direct contradiction with each other. One has enormous credibility with its audience, the other is a dumpster fire.

Also as far as I remember Kef Bir was never mentioned in the movie, so if I am going to make the leap and accept a gigantic piece of the face of the DS I saw disintegrate over the Sanctuary moon with my own eyes somehow exists, it exists in said sanctuary moon.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah, I see no reason why the forest moon can't have a body of water large enough to represent what we see in TROS. Besides, Kef Bir could simply be the sanctuary moon's heretofore unmentioned proper name.

Also, just because we don't see big trees and Ewoks doesn't mean it's not the same world. Hell, look at what ROTS did with Kashyyyk after the old EU told us for years that the entire planet was covered in forest canopy.

So when are you gonna buy the VD?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-01-05 09:51pm
So when are you gonna buy the VD?
HA!

There was a time such a reference book would have me preordering at B&N. Nothing about nuWars canon is interesting enough to spend money on. I already hate myself for seeing all three main movies in the cinema.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I know what you mean. I felt the same way about the prequels.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Given some of the concept art for the Xyston, I almost think that its specs in the VD were intended for one of the unused designs rather than the modified ISD that we ended up with.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

As if there was any lingering doubt in my mind that Pablo's VDs are anything but toilet paper, it just came to my attention that the one he did for TLJ states that the door to Luke's hut on Ahch-To was salvaged from one of his X-wing's s-foils.

Yes, the same perfectly-intact and fully-functional X-wing that Rey used in TROS.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Luke%27s_hut
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Honestly I kind'a feel bad for Pablo, His job is to just invent shit to make it seem like there any coherent thought behind the movies, But how the fuck can he do that when the movies go out of their way to contradict each other?
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Anacronian wrote: 2020-01-09 07:28am Honestly I kind'a feel bad for Pablo, His job is to just invent shit to make it seem like there any coherent thought behind the movies, But how the fuck can he do that when the movies go out of their way to contradict each other?
In an ideal world, the story-group needs to have enough power to say no to whatever big-name director there is. It might actually give the new movies some sense of coherence!
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Honestly, did anyone get the idea that Luke's X-wing had been dismantled when it was briefly glimpsed in TLJ? Pablo should have just assumed it was fine and that it may show up again at some point.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-01-09 06:06pm Honestly, did anyone get the idea that Luke's X-wing had been dismantled when it was briefly glimpsed in TLJ? Pablo should have just assumed it was fine and that it may show up again at some point.
We may not think the x-wing was dismantled in TLJ but Pablo who undoubtedly is closer to the people behind the scenes than any of us might have heard "naah that X-wing is trash" from the people working on the film at that times and then just went to write his usual bullshit because that is his job.

And then JJ shows up and say "hey that X-wing, we can use that" - so now Pablo has to make up new bullshit(and I'm sure he will come up with some) because we have to make bullshit in order to get that sweet sweet nerd money.

What else are they gonna do? re-re-re-release Ralph Mcquarrie paintings yet again?..naah it needs at least 4 years before that space cow can be milked yet again.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Luke's ghost used the Force to restore it, right?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-01-09 08:07pm Luke's ghost used the Force to restore it, right?
The Force materialised a person earlier, so why not?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Back to the Xyston, it almost seems like they intended it to be something closer Fractal's Allegiance-class battlecruiser. After all, it still bears a heavy resemblance to the ISD, but it's much closer to the size specified in the VD and would also probably make a slightly more reasonable platform for a superlaser.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lqK0e