Monster Wargames

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Monster Wargames

Post by irishmick79 »

Have any of you delved into the world of monster wargames? I've played a few, and they are definitely an experience of their own. For instance I own a copy of Great War In Europe (Deluxe Edition) by GMT games, and it covers the entire European War, with the Middle Eastern theater, played out at divisional level. Each hex covers about 9.5 k, and there are over 1200 counters in the game.

Perhaps the grandest monster of them all is World in Flames - this one covers the entire WW2 campaign, at a mix of corps and division level. 1400 counters, 5 maps, full control over national production and resource management. Truly epic scale for a game.

For the PC, there are a few out there - I've played Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 and War in the West. Both handle the European theater of operations, down to battalion level. War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition covers the entire Pacific theater, with turns going day by day.

You guys have any others that you get into?
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Monster Wargames

Post by Solauren »

I played Distant Universe for a while. RTS, up to 1400 star systems, and loads of space battles. The creators even have a modding tutorial in the manual for replacing ship and character graphics. The sheer joy of watching a fleet of Klingon Battlecruisers from the FASA game ripping apart alien races is so... satisfying.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Solauren wrote: 2022-02-20 11:02pm I played Distant Universe for a while. RTS, up to 1400 star systems, and loads of space battles. The creators even have a modding tutorial in the manual for replacing ship and character graphics. The sheer joy of watching a fleet of Klingon Battlecruisers from the FASA game ripping apart alien races is so... satisfying.
1400 systems !?! That’s enormous!
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

irishmick79 wrote: 2022-02-22 08:28pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-02-20 11:02pm I played Distant Universe for a while. RTS, up to 1400 star systems, and loads of space battles. The creators even have a modding tutorial in the manual for replacing ship and character graphics. The sheer joy of watching a fleet of Klingon Battlecruisers from the FASA game ripping apart alien races is so... satisfying.
1400 systems !?! That’s enormous!
Yeah. And you can have systems with 0 planets or moons, and I"ve seen random generation result in Super Giants with 10 planets and 20 moons in the system.

I put our Solar System in, with all the planets, and all the major moons, without a problem.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darken
Redshirt

Post by Darken »

War in the pacific is a real masterpiece. Ui is terrible till you comprehend it and know the intricacies then its fairly quick. After your first week or 2 of playing youll be a master. Lol