Samsung 4G vs 5G phones.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Samsung 4G vs 5G phones.

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

While researching new Samsung mobiles to replace my obsolete one I noticed something counter-intuitive. Comparing the 4G vs 5G versions of the same model of handset I've noticed that the 4G sets have better specs, the 5G sets have worse. :wtf:

What is the point of a handset that's meant for the next generation of network having poorer specs than the same model for the last generation? Surely if anything the model for the newer standard would have the better specs? What is Samsung's rationale? :banghead:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Samsung 4G vs 5G phones.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Beats me, the last time I went looking for a replacement I gave up and just bought a new battery for my S5Neo.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I asked Samsung about my phone after my cell provide was trying to hardsell me and claimed that the internet wouldn't work on the 4G phone after September.

Samsung said only a few, highly urbanized areas in the US (like NYC) would have 5G up and running by then, most of the country will still be running 4G for some time, and that while I wouldn't get 5G speeds with a 4G phone (of course) it would still work.

So I said screw the upgrade, my current phone is more than adequate for my needs and I ain't changing until I have to.

OK, back on track - right now 5G is the latest and greatest so they're trying to appeal to people on that and simply not mentioning the reduced features otherwise. So after the edge and early adopter folks buy the new phones in 6-12 months the phone manufacturers can add the other features back in and advertise a new new upgraded better 5G in hopes all those folks will buy new phones all over again. Nevermind that over vast swathes of the US a 5G phone isn't going to perform any better than a 4G phone because in those areas you'll have 4G infrastructure and service, not 5G.

Other countries/regions/continents may vary in the roll-out of 5G.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-08-19 03:41pm

Other countries/regions/continents may vary in the roll-out of 5G.
Even South Korea is having issues with 5G, sure parts of the 5G standard are being deployed but a direct 5G signal suffers massive connection issues with simple things like standing wrong/having your back to the transmission tower. 5G has a heck of a lot of bandwidth but the trade off is that it gets blocked by almost everything and reflects off far fewer surfaces than 4G.

Linustechtips did a video on it and it was hilarious how quickly slight body movements with direct Line of sight to the transmitter resulted in Linus losing connection. Here's the six minute video if you want to watch it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I will laugh, laugh, laugh if it turns out they have to roll-back 5G to 4G due to technical problems like that....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I do have to say that I have 4G more often than 5G. Granted, I'm way out in the boonies most of the time, so that probably has a lot to do with that... you'll likely have much better results in, say, a well developed urban area with a lot of cell towers.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-08-19 03:00pm Beats me, the last time I went looking for a replacement I gave up and just bought a new battery for my S5Neo.
That's the model I have at the moment, despite moving every app I can to the SD card as well as all my music & pictures & videos, I'm still out of storage space. Which means no updates- it doesn't help that when I did run updates the phone would move the app I was updating back to the device without me telling it to. Apparently the ability turn that on or off was added in a newer version of Android.

Here's the comparison of the handsets in question:

A22 5G has the better screen, 4G has the better cameras
A32 4G has both better screen and better cameras than 5G

I only became aware of the rollout of 5G because of the row started by Trump over Huawei having a role in building the infrastructure.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

I have a A51 4g phone through straight talk. It seems to me the ram & storage are better on the 5g phones when I was shopping phone's last spring.
I only spent $200 on this phone while the 5g was atleast $100 more. I didn't think it was worth the extra money so I went with the 4g phone. Never looked back.
Only regret is Straight Talk figured out how to lock their phones to their service, not even a sim card swap will let you swap service.
Sucks a@@ because they changed their plans around and now I get barely 5 gigs of Hotspot used to get 15.
Why in God's name are unlimited plans unlimited in everything BUT Hotspot data?
Seriously not all of us have land line internet possible and sure as heck don't have money for limited Hotspot dohickies just to run the TV!