Obligatory Cyberpunk 2077 Post

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Obligatory Cyberpunk 2077 Post

Post by Zwinmar »

As of this I have put in 47 hours into it, yeesh.

I find it extremely engaging. That said, it does have its faults mainly in the graphics: I have seen floating objects, objects falling through the world so you can't get them, mechanicals only allowing to be looted once even if they have more than one item, weird ragdolling even in cut scenes.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Obligatory Cyberpunk 2077 Post

Post by bilateralrope »

I have never seen a game flood r/GamePhysics with bug videos the way Cyberpunk has.

I'm still intending to buy it at some point. After the bugs get fixed.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So let me say this now. I've seen plenty of bugs related to cutscenes and a bad one with quick saves corrupting (Normal and auto-saves are fine) and of course Parde heartless driver dragging that poor woman screaming during our set piece battle was terribly hilarious.

But bugs and all I'm estatic to have bought it on launch day and I'm having a hell of a time with it. Now excuse me I need to fist fight a cyber-psycho because once again I left my non-lethal gun at home and I don't want to kill someone having a full mental breakdown.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I just equipped the mod that makes all my hits nonlethal, now to see if it works with the monowire :p
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

If you're finding that the game isn't running well for you try going to Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config. Form there open memory_pool_budgets.csv and change the settings. From what I've seen setting the CPU memory to around half your available ram (ensuring you leave at least 4GB for Windows) and your GPU to whatever it actually has for VRAM will help out a lot.

They accidentally set the default configs to the console values for all platforms rather than detecting your hardware and making a recommendation...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Here is my question.
Everyone... as is the case with these games... jumping on the bandwagon of "HUR HUR GAME IZ BROKEN"
Considering how long they had ALREADY been working on the game, how many delays it has had...
Like.... How much LONGER do people think it would have taken to "finish" ? I mean, Would we accept another full year of working on it?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-12-13 04:24pm Here is my question.
Everyone... as is the case with these games... jumping on the bandwagon of "HUR HUR GAME IZ BROKEN"
Considering how long they had ALREADY been working on the game, how many delays it has had...
Like.... How much LONGER do people think it would have taken to "finish" ? I mean, Would we accept another full year of working on it?
The thing is while the game has bugs they are not show-stoppers. Generally a re-load fixes most glitches and stuck quests are rare and can still normally be fixed by a reload. I'd say the game is about a buggy as your average Bethesda game six months after launch.

And I don't think a year is going to be require to fix this... unless the animation system they use is fundamentally broke for cut scenes where 70% of the bugs seem to be.

IOW: The bugs seen are fairly common (Most people run into some) but so far easily fixed by reloading the game. Except for cut scene bugs where seems like everyone sees. Normally they are glitches as opposed to crash to desktop.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Mr Bean wrote: 2020-12-13 01:17pm So let me say this now. I've seen plenty of bugs related to cutscenes and a bad one with quick saves corrupting (Normal and auto-saves are fine) and of course Parde heartless driver dragging that poor woman screaming during our set piece battle was terribly hilarious.

But bugs and all I'm estatic to have bought it on launch day and I'm having a hell of a time with it. Now excuse me I need to fist fight a cyber-psycho because once again I left my non-lethal gun at home and I don't want to kill someone having a full mental breakdown.
the LP I've been watching seems to suggest you can knockout psychos with regular weapons, not 100% sure though as I ain't got the game myself.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-12-13 04:24pmLike.... How much LONGER do people think it would have taken to "finish" ? I mean, Would we accept another full year of working on it?
I don't buy games before all their DLC has been released. I don't consider them finished until then. For Witcher 3, that took a bit over a year after launch. Probably then at least another year for a decent discount. But I know that I'm more patient than most.

Sure, the bugs don't sound like show-stoppers. But I've got no reason to rush.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-12-13 04:24pm Here is my question.
There's no amount of extra time that would have found everything.

Like let's say they had a thousand QA testers, and we give them all an entire year. That would mean, if they did a "normal" work year they would have produced about two million hours of testing (168 hours average per month per employee in Poland).

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it.

But 8 million people preordered the game. So the people with preorders alone would blow past that entire extra year of testing in fifteen minutes.

That's why there are always bugs left for players to find.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Vendetta hit the nail on the head when it came to finding bugs.

As for the settings for consoles being pre-configured, that's bad, but nothing a quick patch won't fix. (It would be hilarious if that's all it took to remove most of the bugs)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2020-12-14 02:19pm Vendetta hit the nail on the head when it came to finding bugs.

As for the settings for consoles being pre-configured, that's bad, but nothing a quick patch won't fix. (It would be hilarious if that's all it took to remove most of the bugs)
I changed my memory settings manually and haven't noticed many changes in terms of glitches. Post 1.04 the main glitches I've had are dead NPCs still shouting at you and some items not being able to be picked up even when visible. I haven't seen anybody walking in the ground, anybody stretching in ways they shouldn't, or any quests being incompletable.

I may spend some time tonight retweaking my graphics and seeing how nice I can get the game looking with the extra RAM online.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I should see if the RAM tweaks get me anything. I have it on mostly high, with volumetric clouds, fog and raytrace lighting on medium and DLSS on balanced. (Volumetric clouds and fog are the biggies for performance).
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Vendetta wrote: 2020-12-14 06:53pm I should see if the RAM tweaks get me anything. I have it on mostly high, with volumetric clouds, fog and raytrace lighting on medium and DLSS on balanced. (Volumetric clouds and fog are the biggies for performance).
I tried the RAM tweak, can't tell if anything changed.

That said, the biggies for performance definetely seem to be volumetric clouds, fog and raytrace , ambient occlusion, DLSS. The second patch they pushed out made for a huge improvement (the game ran veeeery diffeently in the "prologue" than the main game, likely due to that. And lots of indoor lighting).

I've seen a lot of bugs, some dang annoying (lots of dissapearing things for one, and interface icons stuck on the screen, e.g. cameras etc'). It's a bit immersion breaking when it happens in mission critical "cutscenes" and you're waving an invisible weapon around, or have people hanging in the air on invisible cars :P.

I finished the first ending last night, and did most of the side-jobs (I may have missed some, and at least one is bugged. And I hate racing).
Overall, I really enjoyed the game. It's big, it's immersive, it's pretty and there's surprisingly few scifi-punk RPGs these days (although I think ShadowRun is a much better Cyberpunk setting. But I assume they wanted to move away from the Dwarves and Elves stereotype). It's not GOTY, but It's worth the price, and I enjoyed it, even if it isn't the second coming of the Witcher 3.

Some things I really don't like that aren't bugs:
  • Driving anything that isn't a motorcycle: Most cars (especially the default car) have a incredibly slippery steering - the front of the car spins around, making turning or navigating really hard and annoying. It's the same thing that made me unwilling to play GTAV - driving is too damn annoying and steering is hell.
  • Combat: A. gorgeous and beautiful destructible environments (I wish we'd seen more of those post intro/prologue. Really missed opportunity). But - it's too easy on normal mode, and on hard mode, enemy damage is massively boosted (without their health going up) - I tend to get oneshotted fast. (I just want to have a bit more challenge without being instagibbed :( ).
  • "skull" enemies - missions need to make it clearer if they have them (the "very dangerous" red label isn't always correct), since a higher level enemy will basically kill you with 1 hit. This is a PAIN for the boxing missions, which also assume a much higher character level than anything else.
  • The dialogue for Panam (Hetero male romance option) is really stilted and formal in a weird way for no reason. It feels like someone drafted the dialogue, then never bothered to review it. It sounds weird. (Judy is awesome though).
  • The various ADs and background stuff - could have used more humour in them. (The variety is amazing though).
  • Prologue missions are just better than most of the rest of the game in polish, variety, dialogue options etc (if not choice). Bloody Baron side quests, this game is not (although plenty are great! The Delemain cabs in particular had some awesome easter eggs :D).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Grim Squeaker wrote: 2020-12-15 04:08am
Vendetta wrote: 2020-12-14 06:53pm I should see if the RAM tweaks get me anything. I have it on mostly high, with volumetric clouds, fog and raytrace lighting on medium and DLSS on balanced. (Volumetric clouds and fog are the biggies for performance).
I tried the RAM tweak, can't tell if anything changed.
Yeah, I'm unconvinced. I do not think the PC version actually pays attention to those numbers.
I've seen a lot of bugs, some dang annoying (lots of dissapearing things for one, and interface icons stuck on the screen, e.g. cameras etc'). It's a bit immersion breaking when it happens in mission critical "cutscenes" and you're waving an invisible weapon around, or have people hanging in the air on invisible cars :P.
Most of what I've seen is just "physics be wacky". Though the store interfaces never open the first time either.
Driving anything that isn't a motorcycle: Most cars (especially the default car) have a incredibly slippery steering - the front of the car spins around, making turning or navigating really hard and annoying. It's the same thing that made me unwilling to play GTAV - driving is too damn annoying and steering is hell.
Bikes are better anyway because Night City is full of sunday drivers and it's better when you can weave in and out of traffic.
Combat: A. gorgeous and beautiful destructible environments (I wish we'd seen more of those post intro/prologue. Really missed opportunity). But - it's too easy on normal mode, and on hard mode, enemy damage is massively boosted (without their health going up) - I tend to get oneshotted fast. (I just want to have a bit more challenge without being instagibbed :( ).
Their health does go up, it's maybe 2-2.5x on Very Hard what it is on Normal. Doesn't matter when you start putting absolutely filthy critical bonuses onto a pistol or revolver. I think non-boss enemies on VH have about 1700-2500 health, and I can do a stealth-crit-headshot for slightly more than ten times that now. (That said I also have two completely different off-button hacks that will either instakill or instantly render unconscious any normal enemy without having to aim, you can get ludicrous power in many ways...)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Vendetta wrote: 2020-12-15 08:36amBikes are better anyway because Night City is full of sunday drivers and it's better when you can weave in and out of traffic.
Isn't that most open world driving games ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Vendetta gets a cookie for calling the RAM tweaks not doing anything. From today's PC patch notes:

"Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game."
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, and loving every minute of it.

Even more so since publicly saying anything positive about CP2077 or CDPR in general makes all the crying polygon followers, Knights of Twitter and the College Campus Crusaders erupt into tearful fury about overtime hours, not being woke enough, how CDPR is literally worse than hitler and how liking the game makes me a transphobe.

So it's a fun game in one of my favorite settings that also pisses off all the crying screenagers that get angry whenever their twitter feed tells them to. Game of the Year.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2020-12-21 01:08am I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, and loving every minute of it.

Even more so since publicly saying anything positive about CP2077 or CDPR in general makes all the crying polygon followers, Knights of Twitter and the College Campus Crusaders erupt into tearful fury about overtime hours, not being woke enough, how CDPR is literally worse than hitler and how liking the game makes me a transphobe.

So it's a fun game in one of my favorite settings that also pisses off all the crying screenagers that get angry whenever their twitter feed tells them to. Game of the Year.
I think a lot of people that are complaining have no idea that Cyberpunk isn't supposed to give the player hope. Most of the stories the genre is founded upon feature used up and burnt out people making terrible choices and often meeting bad ends. They also had to realize that 2077 wasn't going to ditch anything found in the 2020 source material, so things like cyber-psychosis and humanity loss, two things people like to hate on, were never candidates for being changed.

That said, they probably should have cancelled the old-gen versions of the games if they couldn't hit playable framerates. They should also make versions of the voice lines where the male voice counts as female and the female voice counts as male just for more player agency (I'd also add a version of each voice that counts as both genders just for players who want to romance anybody). That last one is an easy enough mod though.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2020-12-21 01:08am I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, and loving every minute of it.

Can someone please explain me how liking a game makes one a transphobe (since I assume the story isn't about how trans people are bad and you should hate them).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-12-21 03:52am

Can someone please explain me how liking a game makes one a transphobe (since I assume the story isn't about how trans people are bad and you should hate them).
In game advertisements for a fictional drink feature an attractive female character with a rather prominent bulge in her leotard and uses the slogan, "Mix it up." That and a member of their social media team said something like a year ago and wasn't fired fast/hard enough and the PR statement wasn't sorry sounding enough. That and the fact that your character's gender, which solely determines who will romance you, is tied to your voice though you can have any voice with any look you like. Some trans people with deeper voice want to use the 'male' voice on a femme body with a penis and consider it an affront that they can't.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

When I first heard of that ad, what I thought of was the backlash a corporation would face from transphobes if they tried something like that today. That the society of Cyberpunk accepts trans people enough that such an ad doesn't face a backlash. Sure, I can see the argument that the ad is exploiting trans people. But this is a cyberpunk future. Everyone is getting exploited.

Now, maybe there is more context within the game that would change my opinion. But I haven't heard about it yet.

As for the gender choices in the character creator, how many AAA games do something like that ?
I can't think of any other than the Saint's Row games.

Sure, it's a reasonable thing to ask. It shouldn't be too hard to code and the only time consuming part would be to record any dialog with pronouns so that they/them is an option. But Cyberpunk is no worse than other AAA games in that regard.

As for CDPR, the Cyberpunk launch was the start of a week of screwup after screwup. It's amusing just how bad they have made this week for themselves.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I thought it was hyperbole to even know what pronoun to use and base it on voice and not the visual appearance, but it's cyberpunk.

Someone's pronouns could be a datatag that appears when you scan someone, then it wouldn't be immersion breaking when a male looking V with a penis starts firing and some NPC yells "IT'S HER!"

Anyway this is a hilariously bad open world game where items clip through the floor, dead bodies lift cars, people and objects disappear when they leave your field of view that I am enjoying playing, because for me it's Keanu Reeves Invisible Friend simulator.
Jermein Franklin
Redshirt

Post by Jermein Franklin »

2 hours after the last patch was downloaded on my PS5, the SAME problems keep happening. I took a break from it because I am playing with anxiety the entire time hoping the game won't freeze.

The fact that CDPR said the other day not to hold a lot of items in your inventory, for you may lose your save file or it may become corrupted (Which is happening) is peak rubbish when it comes to this game. I think when the next gen release comes out (If it ever does) I'll play it more out of curiosity which is sad.
Here is my Destiny power!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-12-22 12:18am When I first heard of that ad, what I thought of was the backlash a corporation would face from transphobes if they tried something like that today. That the society of Cyberpunk accepts trans people enough that such an ad doesn't face a backlash. Sure, I can see the argument that the ad is exploiting trans people. But this is a cyberpunk future. Everyone is getting exploited.
The concern isn't that it's "exploiting trans people" but that it's mirroring a modern real world fetishisation of transwomen as dickgirls which prevents people from understanding actual transwomen and their sexuality. (Transwomen face intimate partner violence at a greatly increased rate compared to most other women).