Baldur's gate 3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Baldur's gate 3

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok, so illithids, their enemies githraki, and spelljamming ships. This looks awesome. From Belgium studio Larian, the guys who gave us the divinity series. I have played a few Larian games and I enjoyed it, so I might take a look at Baldur's gate 3.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Baldur's gate 3

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Pedanism Alert: It's Githyanki, not Githraki. And yes, it does look fucking awesome. Some of the details they're talking about sound fucking awesome, such as shared multiplayer parties with splitting the party to handle different problems. I hope the game is as good as the intro.

Link to said into intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hqgv0pU0EM
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2020-03-01 12:46am I hope the game is as good as the intro.
As someone who played BG1 & 2, I was very interested the moment I saw the trailer a few years ago, but I totally forgot about it until I read that it recently got released, and it's currently the highest rated game on Metacritic to date.

I've just bought it and it's looking good so far. And that's just the single player (I imagine it must be even better if played as multiplayer co-op).
The game looks massively replayable due to the large, open world and the many possible options you can take. Hopefully I can handly me FOMO (knowing me, I'd want to try every option to see what'll happen. The tutorial/intro alone took a big chunk of my time because I wanted to play optimal, while just enjoying the ride and see what happens, not having to win everything, might be just as good)

(Bit of a necro, but since this is the orginal thread with only 2 posts, and the game recently got released I might as well)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and I'm already seeing points at which choices are very binary and going down some very different paths. Plus the physicality of the game is a lot of fun.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The only Larian games I've played are Divinity 2 and Divinity: Dragon Commander. So I have to ask if they have the player transform into a dragon at any point in Balder's Gate 3.

I'll likely be buying this game either way. Almost everything I've heard has been very positive about it.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-20 12:57pm The only Larian games I've played are Divinity 2 and Divinity: Dragon Commander. So I have to ask if they have the player transform into a dragon at any point in Balder's Gate 3.

I'll likely be buying this game either way. Almost everything I've heard has been very positive about it.
I haven't cast it yet but my Warlock just hit level 7 and picked up Polymorph so I'll report back if a dragon is an option or if it takes a higher-level spell and/or an upcasting.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So, I haven't posted in a while. But I did finally buy BG3 after ignoring early access forever. We're currently in the last act on our 3rd run, second on Tactician. AFAIK, BG3 had upwards of 500k concurrent players on Steam which for a CRPG is.... absolutely insane. The game in many areas is probably the best CRPG you're going to play in the modern. Plenty of choices, companion dialog interactions, branching stories that while still narrowing into act 3, give new perspectives on what is going on. While most players will pick Tav (the meme name for the custom character), Origin characters bring their own take on many events. Dark Urge, without spoiling too much, basically MAKES this game BG3 if you play as them (NOTE: Dark Urge is the only Origin character you can modify like you can Tav).

Sidenote: even 20 years later, I'm just fuckin' "done" with mindflayer/Illithid bullshit. But whatever, here we are.

Combat is DnD 5e with Larian shennans sprinkled in heavily. You have probably heard memes about barrelmancy. But even without that, once you grasp the core concepts of the system, combat can become a lot easier. Action economy is everything and unfortunately you WILL find that Damage > a lot unless you are using specific builds. Some come online early, others later. Itemization is incredibly powerful in BG3. Certain items make either strong builds absolutely broken, or turn a scuffed build into something OP. Outside possibly pure Rogue, nearly any class is viable and offers numerous playstyles. Rogue is "fine" but this is an action economy game, so by level 5 a LOT of classes start taking off. Good thing it's only 100gold to respec.

The story is more than serviceable with multiple well voice acted takes on the current ongoings. I find it pretty generic and lampshaded as someone who's just read a ton of this stuff, but I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would. There's plenty of content scattered everywhere. The musical score is a banger. If you have any inclination to purchase a turn-based RPG, you literally aren't going to find a better option.

The game can be a bit buggy, esp as you go on further. But outside 2 instances of the UI totally shitting out, I've not had to ALT-F4, nor savescum an interaction.

Co-op is finally "fixed." If you start together, anyone can pick Origin or Custom. If you join after the start, you have to make a Tav. OG this character was stuck in your party no matter what, but now you can stuff them in a closet (not a joke) and run another character to fill out your group. Coop is fun, works pretty well, but the coop partner is treated more as a merc than in games like Div 2 (where you could romance and interact with NPCs just like the host).

Bard is probably my favorite class to face as. Watch out though, you can (and it's fine if this is what you want) talk a lot of fights to death. You still get the XP, but you're prolly not getting loot.
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-20 12:57pmThe only Larian games I've played are Divinity 2 and Divinity: Dragon Commander. So I have to ask if they have the player transform into a dragon at any point in Balder's Gate 3.
Withers: No. The best you're going to get is playing as Dragonborn. Who can Fus-ro-dah a breath attack. They are humanoid though. You ain't the Red Prince in this game.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

This is a quality game, I don't game much at all these days but like any product that's made to a high standard, this games really stands apart from the usual fair we are served.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.