Cellphone problem

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Cellphone problem

Post by Batman »

New (as in I didn't have it before, Nokia 6600 folding) cellphone and the damned thing won't recognize my SIM card. The card is unlikely to be the problem because both my prior phones recognize it just fine, repeatedly. Cleaned the contacts on the card, cleaned the contacts on the phone, I'm out of ideas
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Cellphone problem

Post by Tribble »

Edit:

Does the phone support the same type of network standard that your carrier uses?

How old is your SIM card? How old is the phone? They might not be compatible depending on the difference in age between the two, that’s happened to me before.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The phone is explicitly telling me 'NO SIM CARD DETECTED'. It's not that the card's not 'working', the phone doesn't even notice it's 'there'. And the phones the card works perfectly fine in are likely even older than this one.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Is the phone being locked to a carrier a possible issue in this case?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

How can the phone be locked to a carrier when it won't even detect the damn card? The carrier is connected to the SIM card, not the phone
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-19 08:03pm How can the phone be locked to a carrier when it won't even detect the damn card? The carrier is connected to the SIM card, not the phone
I figured it might not be detecting the SIM card because it wasn't finding carrier-specific data. I'd expect it to show a SIM error instead but I don't know much about this specific issue.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

In that case I'd expect it to detect the card but but yammer 'CAN'T FIND SIGNAL' or some such. The error message is rather explicit about the problem being the phone can't find a SIM card period
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Just get hold of your supplier and ask for a replacement SIM (no, the number won't change long as you specify it's for your number). I work in a phone shop and you'd be surprised by the amount of issues that fixes. Once you've cleaned the SIM and put it back in and it still doesn't work, that's the literal next step.
Unless they charge an exorbitant amount in whatever country you live to replace cards, in which case, I got nothing.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Replacement card costs nothing. Hell a completely new one would be a murderous 10€. What irritates me is the card works perfectly fine in the other two phones
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Do you know someone who has a SIM card you could borrow to test the phone with? A different one from what you're already using. If the one it isn't seeing works fine for other phones, it suggests the issue may be the "new" phone. If a completely different SIM card isn't recognized, it might be the phone itself. A little bit of Google searching shows that the driver for the SIM card can be damaged. If that's the case, you might need to either replace parts on the phone or do a bit of surgery yourself. Linky

If the phone recognizes SIM cards other than yours, and other phones can currently recognize your SIM card... I'm stumped. Speaking from experience, phones should at least recognize that there's a SIM card even if it's from another network. I put my mother-in-law's SIM card from her broken phone (smashed in a door on accident) into one of my old phones. Different carrier, but it still saw the SIM card and allowed me to pull her contacts list off to back up and get on her new phone.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Turns out both the phone and the card are fine, just took me a while to figure out the phone's lockdown mechanism for the SIM card (or the fact that there was one).
Now to find the memory card lockdown mechanism I accidentally ejected in the process...
So, new problem-since access to the memory card is for now not possible, hoe do I upload pictures from the phone's internal memory to my PC?

I case you haven't guessed yet, I'm really not good with mobile phones.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-22 07:45pm Turns out both the phone and the card are fine, just took me a while to figure out the phone's lockdown mechanism for the SIM card (or the fact that there was one).
Now to find the memory card lockdown mechanism I accidentally ejected in the process...
So, new problem-since access to the memory card is for now not possible, hoe do I upload pictures from the phone's internal memory to my PC?

Depending on the model there might be cable for that purpose, I'm not familiar with this particular phone so I can't say for sure. As it's 2019 I assume it's still a smart phone so you should also be able to e-mail them to yourself, if you can access the e-mail from your PC.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-22 07:45pm Turns out both the phone and the card are fine, just took me a while to figure out the phone's lockdown mechanism for the SIM card (or the fact that there was one).

Some phones also require software to transfer data, you should be able to find out by going to Nokia's website and looking at the support section for your phone. Though with such an old phone that software might not play well with modern PCs so you may have to stick to the email yourself method. You could also try to install dropbox on the phone as well if it's supported.

Might I ask why not just get a modern smartphone? They usually come nearly free with a new plan so long as you have any credit rating to speak of, worst case you pay a deposit and after some period of time, it is applied as a credit on your next few bills.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Many PCs come with slots that fit SD cards. Try seeing if you can put one in your phone, transfer the files to it, and then from there to the computer.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I hate smartphones with a passion. It's a phone. It's for making phone calls. I don't need internet access, I don't need a miniature movie theatre, I don't need it to be a flashlight (I have a flashlight for that) or movie camera, I just need a phone. And smartphones are only nearly free if you buy a contract. I am not buying a contract for a phone I expect to use about 8 times a year.
I hate touchscreens even more. Those that like them are welcome to them, I want mechanical buttons. That way I know I pressed the key, even if the phone doesn't do what that key should make it do.
@Elheru-as mentioned, I broke the lockdown mechanism for the SD card, so even if my PC has an SD slot (haven't checked yet) that wouldn't help me much. And I would expect the data transfer/recharging USB cable to facilitate data transfer (PC recognized the phone and installed the appropriate drivers, or so Windows claims at any rate)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Also you can't flip open a smartphone Star Trek style