Dr Who/40k crossover RP

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Dr Who/40k crossover RP

Post by Elheru Aran »

As long as the actual Deathwatch accompanying the Inquisitor doesn't cotton on to what's going on and decide to do some liquidating of his own. :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Yeah, that should lead to some tense conversations.
Right, given a couple more firm character concepts, we're ready to go.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ah, but the fake Deathwatch have something to offer the Astartes that the Inquisition can't. Plus there are more of them :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Image Image

Weapons are the standard loadout. Bolter, combat knife (a particularly long and rough-forged one), grenades, Deathwatch rounds, assault shotgun, etc.
Special weapons: power spear, chain axe, and storm shield. He generally keeps these stored away though. Obviously he can't carry everything at once, and I imagine the Inquisition band has a headquarters of sorts where he can tuck his weapons locker.

He looks mostly like this.

With storm shield and axe:

Your move, sir.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well I can't match that level of awesome imagery. My ten-man squad's armour is all matte black, to disguise their origins. If anyone asks, their chapter was destroyed and they seek to avenge them. Conviniently the current 40K antagonist will be the ones responsible.

Since they're Veterans they carry combi-boltguns (flamer or melta version depending on situation) with the Sternguard special-issue ammo (methinks the AP3 plasma rounds would work nicely on a Dalek). The Sergeant has a power axe and a volkite serpenta for a pistol as well as a standard Sternguard boltgun. Two members of the squad are hauling around either a heavy flamer or a volkite culverin depending on situation.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Wait... we are doing squads?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Ish. Maybe. Primary character and I'm pondering whether to give those who would be going into combat a squad to lead. Or a pltoon for a guard officer, or a unit of nava,l armsmen, and so on and so forth...

Or maybe not, and you have to trust in your own ability to beat down big stuff.

Any ideas on a character?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

HMS Sophia wrote:Ish. Maybe. Primary character and I'm pondering whether to give those who would be going into combat a squad to lead. Or a pltoon for a guard officer, or a unit of nava,l armsmen, and so on and so forth...

Or maybe not, and you have to trust in your own ability to beat down big stuff.

Any ideas on a character?
Yea, not really. I am behind you guys by a mile. Basically I was surprised that we have space marines. The issue is well that I really do not see how combat oriented characters fit in a story about a guy that despises weapons. Armed characters, sure. But a squad of space marines that hates another squad of space marines on the same ship is just sort of... well pure 40K.

Anyway, if we are doing squads than how about the security officer? I imagine that guy is going to be a badass in his own right. Although nowhere near space marine level he should still wield a freaking chainsword and bolt pistol. And possibly call on the ships crew to take up arms if needed.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

As I said, ish maybe. And I imagine the clashes between the doctor (Isn't she beautiful?) and the marines (Burn the alien) could be entertaining.

I think I'm going to say no to squads. It's not the sort of game I want to run. Lone marines, yes, because they are still old, wise, and intelligent eunuchs.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok fair enough. If it's a lone wolf doing the recon bit I'd better make him an officer.

Captain (which isn't as senior in the Hellrazers Legion) Marcus Cromwell. Artificer armour, power axe, volkite pistol, boltgun with special issue ammo. And a special vox-unit he only uses in private to report back to his masters...

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Squads are doable; one or two leading characters, and the rest are mooks who the leaders tell "go there and do that," single-file through leaky corridors, stand around polishing their armour while people talk. Etc. But yeah, it would complicate the matter, so I'm fine with not involving squads.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ghetto edit: Also, depending on fluffiness, lone Marines can be ridiculously hard anyway. I really don't mind being on my own.

Would I get to direct the Inquisition band in any way, i.e. do I write them as well as the Marine, or does someone else need to step up?

For added variety, the Inquisitor himself doesn't necessarily need to be present. I would be fine with someone else playing him. Or we could even just roll with a band under the authority of a particularly powerful Inquisitor who has a small army of henchmen, and this one just happens to find itself in the right (wrong?) place at the wrong (right?) time.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Speaking of fluff are we doing fluff accurate space marines? As in the guys that run as fast as an APC, can lift the same APC over their head and throw it, assuming they don't just melt it with their spit acid or decide to break a hole through with their fists and suck the crew through said hole as if through a straw before eating their corpses to analyze the enemies plan of action?

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Probably not. I would think it would probably be Space Marine (the video game) levels.

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Probably not. I would think it would probably be Space Marine (the video game) levels.
Not familiar with that one. But I assume it places them closer to the "generic PC game action hero" level if it presumes to have any gameplay.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

If you're the only Inquisition side person then I guess... But you might not be.

Acolytes are always entertaining.

ETA: Fluff marines... Maybe not quite that scary, but better than the tabletop yes.
Ah, Space Marine, Yes. Charge into hails of lead, swinging sword of doom. Taken down eventually, but not immediately.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...not quite that silly, even according to fluff. Run fast as an APC, sure, but the rest of that? No.

The fluffiest is basically Rambo in power armour. I'm not quite sure where you're getting all that absurdity, unless you've only read the craziest bits of /tg. I recommend you read both the Ciaphas Cain books and the Iron Snakes book. Those are probably among the best depictions of Space Marines in the fluff out there.

Basically: very tough and hard but not impossible to kill (tends to require some fairly powerful weapons-- meltas, autocannon, lascannon, etc), very strong (can rip off an armoured vehicle hatch-- but not the whole turret. Might be able to lift a *light* armoured vehicle up off one side, but not entirely), variety of genetic modifications that can be used in a number of ways but nothing absurd (psychic stuff aside, and I note none of us have brought that in yet as far). Terminator armour does change the stats a bit (much harder and more powerful. Can take being stepped on by a small Titan. Generally thought to be slower, though, but that's debatable). Again, nobody's bringing that in just yet.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

In that case, I'll wait until you give us some sort of character sheet frame and what others write up simply to draw inspiration. But right now, I am thinking overly zealous security officer who does not trust any of the outsiders on his ship one bit.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Character sheet frame? I'm glad you asked:

Name:
Role:
Description:
Background:
Equipment:

And... done :D
Ooh, maybe motivations...

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Equipment has already been done for my character. Allow wiggle room for the occasional piece of Inquisition equipment, but in large part that will be supplied by the band. His bolter is a Hesh pattern, standard for the Deathwatch, slightly more advanced than the standard Space Marine bolter.

As for description, Space Marine in black Deathwatch armour with the grey/silver pauldron and left-arm plate. Somewhat unusually, he wears an anachronistic Corvus pattern helmet with his modern Mk VIII power armour, the gorget of which is cut down somewhat to accommodate the beak of the helmet.

Role is 'Inquisition tank' with a side of 'does whatever is required to accomplish mission directives'.

No name was ever given, though he uses the code-name Orcus on vox channels.

Background: His Chapter of origin is the Carcharodons Astra. Few of the band have ever seen him without helmet. Every decade or so, between missions, he attends a Deathwatch fortress, presumably for maintenance rites upon his armour and weapons as well as whatever medical rites may be necessary for an Astartes. Otherwise he is devoted to the mission. May have a private channel to the Inquisitor in his vox equipment, but generally defers to the acolyte leading the band.

Motivation: None. The Inquisitor is his master, and he serves him faithfully. But he does have quite a bit of flexibility in how he may follow his orders...

I may want to do the leading acolyte too in order to not split up the team too much but if you'd rather one character per player, I don't mind...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Alright, I'm out for the night. Nobody kill my boys now :P

Editing so I don't triple-post: Purple, with two Space Marines and an Inquisition band running around, you might want to argue for a little more oomph to your character. Because, frankly, in 40K, nobody would bat an eye about a random security guy turning up with his head squished flat in a back corridor. Or an Inquisition acolyte deciding that the security department has been corrupted and everybody suddenly needs to be purged. Just sayin'. :P

(IOW, give your guy a little something-something besides just being a nosy space-cop. Maybe he explores the ship in his free time, or he's the Captain's son, or something. I don't know how familiar you are with 40K on your own part, but it's grimdark enough that there's all kinds of nasty tricks that could be pulled if you just have an Everyman character...)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Name: Captain Marcus Cromwell

Role: Leader/Badass (He's an SM Captain, what more needs to be said).

Description: Armour is jet black apart from a shining silver aquila on his chest.

Background: Officially he was Captain of the 4th Company of the Deathstalker Chapter. 4th Company was destroyed in battle against an unknown xenos threat whilst Cromwell was in orbit. He now travels the galaxy hunting the xenos who killed his men. In reality he is Captain of Bravo Company, 8th Battalion, 501st Regiment of the Hellrazers Legion. He and others are scouting the Imperium on behalf of the Confederacy. Cromwell in particular is tasked with evaluating the Inquisition and the Deathwatch.

Equipment: Articifer armour, boltgun with special-issue ammunition, volkite serpenta (Martian Heat-Ray in pistol form), Power Axe, various grenades, backup combat knife. Encrypted long-range vox unit.

Motivation: Officially, avenge destroyed company. Actually, survey the forces of the Imperium and the threats it currently faces. The fact that those two areas overlap from time to time is a bonus.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Purple, agreeing with EA (it's too early to spell) You're welcome to have control over the shipboard security (that'd be naval armsmen) but I'd aim for a more senior position. Let me dig out Rogue Trader in a bit, that'll have some ideas in it.

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

HMS Sophia wrote:Purple, agreeing with EA (it's too early to spell) You're welcome to have control over the shipboard security (that'd be naval armsmen) but I'd aim for a more senior position. Let me dig out Rogue Trader in a bit, that'll have some ideas in it.
That is a good idea. Thank you.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Ideas from Rogue Trader:
Arch Militant: Combat expert. Skilled with almost every weapon in existence. Not just elite soldiers, but tacticians, strategists and leaders.

Seneschal: Masters of coin, logistics, diplomacy and intrigue. I don't think that needs more explaining.

Void Master: A ship commander. Knows their ship inside out, how to fly, how to fight and how to win.

All of these can hold senior rank aboard ship. Hell, any could captain the ship. The first fits the security officer idea better, but any are welcome. Or any other ideas.