Representative Cuellar (D-Texas) indicted on bribery, foreign influence

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Representative Cuellar (D-Texas) indicted on bribery, foreign influence

Post by Rogue 9 »

New York Times
Henry Cuellar Indicted Over Bribery Scheme

Mr. Cuellar and his wife are accused of accepting bribes from a bank in Mexico City and from an oil and gas company owned by Azerbaijan. He has maintained they are innocent.

Luke Broadwater

By Glenn Thrush and Luke Broadwater

Reporting from Washington
May 3, 2024, 2:31 p.m. ET

Representative Henry Cuellar, Democrat of Texas, and his wife were charged with participating in a yearslong $600,000 bribery scheme involving Azerbaijan and a Mexican bank, according to a federal indictment unsealed in Houston on Friday.

Mr. Cuellar, 68, and his wife Imelda, 67, are accused of bribery and money laundering in connection with their efforts on behalf of a bank based in Mexico City and an energy company owned by Azerbaijan, according to the 54-page complaint.

Mr. Cuellar is also accused of acting as an agent of a foreign entity while serving as a U.S. government official.

Payments made from 2014 to 2021 were laundered through “sham consulting contracts,” front companies and shell companies owned by Mrs. Cuellar, who performed “little to no legitimate work” under the contracts, lawyers with the Justice Department’s criminal division wrote.

Mr. Cuellar “agreed to influence legislative activity and to advise and pressure high-ranking U.S. executive branch officials regarding measures beneficial to the bank,” prosecutors said.

Mr. Cuellar is one of the more conservative Democrats in the House and the only anti-abortion member of his party in the chamber. The charges are similar to the indictment brought against Senator Robert Menendez, a Democrat from New Jersey, who was charged with accepting bribes on behalf of Egyptian businesses.

In a statement before the indictment, Mr. Cuellar maintained his innocence and said he cleared his wife’s work with the Ethics Committee. He vowed to run and win re-election despite the charges.

“I want to be clear that both my wife and I are innocent of these allegations,” Mr. Cuellar said. “Everything I have done in Congress has been to serve the people of South Texas.”

“Before I took any action,” he added, “I proactively sought legal advice from the House Ethics Committee, who gave me more than one written opinion, along with an additional opinion from a national law firm.”
Editors’ Picks
These Books Might Make You Happier
She Wanted a Brooklyn One-Bedroom for Less Than $500,000. But Where?
Swimming Beneath Sand, It’s ‘the Hardest of All Animals to Find’

Mr. Cuellar said he tried to meet with federal prosecutors in Washington to explain his side of the story, but they declined the meeting.

The F.B.I. searched Mr. Cuellar’s Laredo home in 2022, but he won a close primary victory anyway over a more progressive challenger, Jessica Cisneros.

Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the minority leader, said Mr. Cuellar would take leave from his post as the top Democrat on the Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee while he fights the charges.

“Henry Cuellar has admirably devoted his career to public service and is a valued member of the House Democratic Caucus,” said Christie Stephenson, a spokeswoman for Mr. Jeffries. “Like any American, Congressman Cuellar is entitled to his day in court and the presumption of innocence throughout the legal process.”
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Representative Cuellar (D-Texas) indicted on bribery, foreign influence

Post by Soontir C'boath »

We could've had Jessica Cisneros.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."