Titanic tourist submersible goes missing

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Titanic tourist submersible goes missing

Post by Khaat »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-06-24 08:10am The CEO wanting to hire younger is not a surprise. Easier to convince them to try something new (and cheap) without questioning why he's ignoring safety rules.
He DID NOT WANT experienced submariners explaining that his aerospace engineering does not apply, and he was an idiot.

He WANTED to hire 14 year old cat girls, like every other Libertarian male. So maybe that's the Musk connection.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Solauren wrote: 2023-06-24 09:10am
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-06-24 02:34am
Solauren wrote: 2023-06-23 04:55pm It's also why I have zero sympathy for the sub occupants.

If you're going on a dangerous trip, make sure the vehicle can handle it.
Even this passenger ?

19-year-old Titan sub passenger 'terrified' before trip - aunt
Suleman Dawood was "terrified" to go on the Titanic tourist sub trip that would eventually claim his life, according to his aunty.

The 19-year-old was reportedly reluctant to go, but eager to please his Titanic enthusiast dad Shahzada Dawood as the trip fell on Father's Day weekend.

Okay, him I have sympathy for. He was basically strongarmed onto it.
That's how Aaliyah died:
According to Kathy Iandoli's 2021 biography, Aaliyah was a nervous flier. She had serious reservations about flying on the small plane and refused to board. After arguing with the rest of her entourage about it, she retreated into a taxicab to rest, claiming that she had a headache. One of the passengers was sent to check on her and proceeded to slip her a sedative; she was then carried unconscious into the plane.

The aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff, about 200 feet (60 m) from the runway. Aaliyah and seven of the eight others on board were killed instantly. Scott Gallin, Aaliyah's security guard, survived the crash, but died shortly afterwards. According to the paramedics on scene, he spent his last moments asking about Aaliyah's condition
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Aaliyah was basically kidnapped by her own people. That's WAY worse then what happened to the kid on the sub.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

This is why I've always felt that people need to just leave the Titanic in peace.

If you want to go see shipwrecks there is Iron Bottom Sound.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Wreckage from OceanGate's Titan submersible seen being winched to shore in Newfoundland
First images of wreckage from the Titan submersible that catastrophically imploded on its descent to the Titanic shipwreck have emerged.

Pieces of the OceanGate vessel were seen being lifted by crane from the Horizon Arctic in St John's, Newfoundland after an ROV was deployed to the ocean floor to search for the missing sub.

Five people, including Britons Hamish Harding, Shahzada Dawood, and Suleman Dawood, were killed.

A large-scale search and rescue operation ensued when communications were lost with the sub on Sunday, June 18.

Fleets of ships from both the US and Canadian authorities scoured the ocean for any sign of Titan, which also carried OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush and former French Navy commander Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

By Thursday, June 22, a remotely-operated vehicle had discovered a debris field around 1,600ft from the bow of the Titanic.

The debris field was confirmed to be parts of the Titan, as the US Coast Guard confirmed a "catastrophic implosion of the pressure chamber" took place.

A safety investigation has been launched after questions were raised over Mr Rush's push to get the unregulated sub thousands of feet underwater despite persistent worries from peers in the deep-sea submersible world.

Director James Cameron, who himself has visited the Titanic wreckage 33 times, said people urged Mr Rush: "We believe this could lead to catastrophe."

But the 61-year-old OceanGate founder seemed to dismiss concerns over safety, saying he was "tired of industry players who try to use a safety argument to stop innovation" in emails seen by ITV News.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) said on Friday it would begin a probe "into the fatal occurrence involving the Canadian-flagged vessel Polar Prince and the privately operated submersible Titan".
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Solauren wrote: 2023-06-25 04:23pm Aaliyah was basically kidnapped by her own people. That's WAY worse then what happened to the kid on the sub.
His mother has given a different version of events
The mother of a teenager who died on the Titan submersible tells of her days of "worry," and how she gave up her place on the trip for her son.

Suleman Dawood, 19, and his father Shahzada were among the five people who died when the sub imploded on a journey to view the wreck of the Titanic last week.

“It was supposed to be Shahzada and I going down, I stepped back and gave the place to Suleman because he really wanted to go,” mother Christine Dawood told the BBC.

She said her son had been disappointed he was not old enough to accompany them on the original trip, which was cancelled due to the pandemic.

Asked how she felt about the decision, she simply said: “Let’s just skip that.”

She said “both of them were so excited” and her son had taken a Rubik’s Cube with him because he wanted to break a world record.

Mrs Dawood said her son loved the famous square puzzle so much that he carried it with him everywhere and dazzled onlookers by solving it in 12 seconds.

She told the broadcaster: “He said, ‘I’m going to solve the Rubik’s Cube 3,700 metres below sea at the Titanic’.”

The family boarded the Polar Prince, the sub’s support vessel, on Father’s Day hoping for the trip of a lifetime.

Mrs Dawood and her 17-year-old daughter Alina were still on board when word came through that communications with Titan had been lost.

She and her daughter held out hope to begin with after they did not initially return.

She said: “We all thought they are just going to come up so that shock was delayed by about 10 hours or so.

“There was a time…. when they were supposed to be up on the surface again and when that time passed, the real shock, not shock but the worry and the not so good feelings, started.

“We had loads of hope, I think that was the only thing that got us through it because we were hoping and… we talked about things that pilots can do like dropping weights, there were so many actions people on the sub can do in order to surface.

“We were constantly looking at the surface. There was so many things we would go through where we would think ‘it’s just slow right now, it’s slow right now’. But there was a lot of hope.”

She said she “lost hope” when 96 hours had passed since her husband and son boarded the submersible, which indicated they had run out of oxygen.

She revealed she sent a message to her family saying she was “preparing for the worst”.

Her daughter continued to hope for her father and brother's return until the call with the US Coast Guard when they were informed debris had been found.

The family returned to St John’s in Newfoundland, Canada, on Saturday, and on Sunday held a funeral prayer for Shahzada and Suleman.

Mrs Dawood said she and her daughter have vowed to try to learn to finish the Rubik’s Cube in Suleman’s honour, and she intends to continue her husband’s work.

She said: “He was involved in so many things, he helped so many people and I think Alina and I really want to continue that legacy and give him that platform when his work has continued and it’s quite important for my daughter as well.

“Alina and I said we are going learn how to solve the Rubik’s Cube. That’s going to be a challenge for us because we are really bad at it but we are going to learn it.”
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Titanic tourist sub photos show wreckage being brought ashore

Short video as well as several still photos of the debris being brought ashore at St. John's
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Looks like the titanium end caps survived just fine. Think I spotted one of the rings that were epoxied onto the carbon fiber cylinder to join it to the end caps. Porthole was missing from its end cap but there's no way to know if that was a point of failure or if the force of the implosion removed it. What looked like fairing from the tail cone. The "legs" that it would sit on. The metal parts seemed to have survived just fine.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-06-28 03:23pm Looks like the titanium end caps survived just fine. Think I spotted one of the rings that were epoxied onto the carbon fiber cylinder to join it to the end caps. Porthole was missing from its end cap but there's no way to know if that was a point of failure or if the force of the implosion removed it. What looked like fairing from the tail cone. The "legs" that it would sit on. The metal parts seemed to have survived just fine.
Which to me leans more to the theory that the carbon fiber failed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

That's what it initially looks like, yes, although the porthole failing or a leak occurring where the end caps and cylinder joined are still possible. Especially the porthole, it wasn't rated for the depth it was being taken to.

It will be interesting if it was the porthole that gave first.

Still have deep reservations of using carbon fiber in that application.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The more I think about the Titan, and what did I realise its design resembled? A goddamned Pringles can. :banghead:

Presumed human remains recovered from wreckage of Titan submersible
Presumed human remains have been recovered from the wreckage of the Titan submersible and will be analysed by medical professionals, the US Coast Guard has said.

Wreckage from the submersible that catastrophically imploded on its descent to the Titanic shipwreck was brought to St John’s harbour on Wednesday after it was retrieved from the North Atlantic.

The US Coast Guard (USCG) said it received debris and evidence from the sea floor at the site of the deep-sea vessel’s fatal implosion, which killed five people.

Speaking after the evidence was recovered, the Marine Board of Investigation’s (MBI) chairman, Captain Jason Neubauer, said: “I am grateful for the co-ordinated international and inter-agency support to recover and preserve this vital evidence at extreme offshore distances and depths.

“The evidence will provide investigators from several international jurisdictions with critical insights into the cause of this tragedy.

“There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the Titan and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again.

”The USCG said the MBI intends to transport the evidence to a port in the US where they will be able to facilitate further analysis and testing.

The MBI will continue evidence collection and witness interviews to inform a public hearing about the incident, the USCG added.

Pelagic Research Services, whose remote operating vehicle (ROV) discovered the debris fields, said on Wednesday its team is “still on mission”.

A statement said: “They have been working around the clock now for 10 days, through the physical and mental challenges of this operation, and are anxious to finish the mission and return to their loved ones."

The Titan submersible lost contact with tour operator OceanGate Expeditions an hour and 45 minutes into the two-hour descent to the wreckage, with the vessel reported missing eight hours after communication was lost.

Pieces of the OceanGate vessel were seen being lifted by crane from the Horizon Arctic in St John's, Newfoundland after an ROV was deployed to the ocean floor to search for the missing sub.

Five people, including Britons Hamish Harding, Shahzada and Suleman Dawood, were killed.

A large-scale search and rescue operation ensued when communications were lost with the sub on Sunday, June 18.

Fleets of ships from both the US and Canadian authorities scoured the ocean for any sign of Titan, which also carried OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush and former French Navy commander Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

By Thursday, June 22, a remotely-operated vehicle had discovered a debris field around 1,600ft from the bow of the Titanic.

The debris field was confirmed to be parts of the Titan, as the US Coast Guard confirmed a "catastrophic implosion of the pressure chamber" took place.

A safety investigation has been launched after questions were raised over Mr Rush's push to get the unregulated sub thousands of feet underwater despite persistent worries from peers in the deep-sea submersible world.

But the 61-year-old OceanGate founder seemed to dismiss concerns over safety, saying he was "tired of industry players who try to use a safety argument to stop innovation" in emails seen by ITV News.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) said on Friday it would begin a probe "into the fatal occurrence involving the Canadian-flagged vessel Polar Prince and the privately operated submersible Titan".

Pelagic Research Services – whose remote operating vehicle (ROV) discovered the debris fields – said on Wednesday its team is “still on mission”.

A statement read: “They have been working around the clock now for 10 days, through the physical and mental challenges of this operation, and are anxious to finish the mission and return to their loved ones.”
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A Pringles can is better engineered for its purpose than the Titan was.

Actually, I thought it looked like one of those "chubs" of ground meat you get at the grocery store. Regrettably, on its final dive the comparison became even more apt.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah Rush tried to do the submarine equivalent of re-inventing the wheel just for the sake of his ego and bottom line and refused to listen to those who said it was a bad thing.

Submarines and submersibles have been a thing for centuries with first prototypes having been made in the 1600s (those were of questionable functionality though), that's more then enough time for the physics to be known and the laws of physics don't care about your ego and will apply no matter how much of trailblazer you think yourself.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The other thing I've learned is that Rush came out of an aviation/aerospace background which is fine, but the problems involving pressure are the opposite of those involved in diving. That, and in many ways aviation is more forgiving, which is not a statement you often see. Failure of a pressure vessel in an airplane is not instantly fatal the way it is in a sub. For that matter, space suits and space stations have sprung leaks without catastrophic failures. Not so subs at great depths. I have to wonder if Rush's background worked against him at times, for that he might have been successful in aviation related things.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

OceanGate announces future expeditions amid ongoing investigation into tragic submarine tragedy
ET OnlineLast Updated: Jun 30, 2023, 02:06 PM IST

In the wake of the recent tragedy involving the OceanGate vessel Titan, the manufacturer of the renowned Titan submersible, OceanGate, has surprisingly revealed new expedition dates on their website. The company remains resolute in its commitment to exploration, scheduling two upcoming excursions set to take place in 2024, just days after the devastating incident that claimed the lives of all passengers on board.

With an air of resilience, OceanGate's website displays the forthcoming expedition dates without any apparent expression of remorse or regret through press releases or news updates. The first expedition is set to take place from June 12 to June 20, 2024, followed by a subsequent excursion from June 21 to June 29, 2024.

Individuals who are interested in these expeditions will be required to pay $250,000 per person, and the expedition in an eerie turn of event, this expedition will also include a single submersible dive, private accommodations, comprehensive training, expedition gear, and meals on board. The only stipulation is that participants must be at least 17 years old.

While the investigation into the Titan Submarine tragedy remains ongoing, experts have raised concerns about the possibility of a flawed inquiry due to missing components of the submarine. Questions arise as to why these vital parts were not recovered during earlier phases of the investigation, adding a layer of intrigue to the incident.

OceanGate, however, appears undeterred by these unfortunate circumstances, offering accommodations during the upcoming expeditions that include staterooms for bedrooms and shared washrooms. Onboard Wi-Fi facilities will be available, ensuring that participants can remain connected throughout the 8-day expedition. The company's website also showcases an array of captivating pictures and videos shared by previous adventurers who have embarked on the extraordinary OceanGate submarine trip.

According to OceanGate's website, courageous travelers joining these expeditions will embark on an awe-inspiring 8-day journey to dive on the legendary wreckage of the Titanic. Situated 380 miles offshore and resting 3,800 meters below the surface of the Atlantic coast of Canada, the dive promises to yield invaluable scientific insights while delivering an unparalleled and exhilarating experience.

OceanGate's determination to press forward with their exploration endeavors, despite the recent tragedy, reflects their unwavering commitment to the advancement of scientific discovery and the pursuit of unique experiences. The decision to announce future expedition dates amidst an ongoing investigation may raise eyebrows, but it also highlights the company's determination to carry on with its mission.

While concerns persist regarding the investigation process and the missing submarine components, OceanGate remains focused on the future. Their expeditions to the iconic Titanic wreck are poised to attract adventurous individuals seeking to push the boundaries of human exploration and contribute to our understanding of the deep sea environment.

As the investigation unfolds and more details emerge, it remains to be seen how the public will respond to OceanGate's unyielding resolve. One thing is certain: the allure of the deep sea and the untold mysteries it holds continue to captivate the imaginations of those who dare to venture into its depths alongside OceanGate.
I worry that they will still get customers for a trip down to the Titanic. Customers who won't demand that the sub is certified.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Something my dad said when I was chatting to him about this yesterday just sunk in. All this money and effort to see a shipwreck - that's a mass grave. That's pretty fucking ghoulish.

I did like one of the FB posts from a Med tourism company though, pointing out that if you go there instead you can dive on the wreck of the Britannic that looks almost identical, is only in 130 metres (or feet, can't recall) of water, and isn't a mass grave.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-07-01 10:28amI worry that they will still get customers for a trip down to the Titanic. Customers who won't demand that the sub is certified.
LET'S GO DARWIN!!

Anyone still dumb enough to get on one of Oceangate's death traps gets exactly what they deserve.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Wow. If only such care, money and diligence was put into actually improving the world and the lives of people instead of "experiences" and flights of fancy for rich assholes.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

aerius wrote: 2023-07-01 11:42am
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-07-01 10:28amI worry that they will still get customers for a trip down to the Titanic. Customers who won't demand that the sub is certified.
LET'S GO DARWIN!!

Anyone still dumb enough to get on one of Oceangate's death traps gets exactly what they deserve.
Future Darwin Award winners to be sure.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

While the investigation into the Titan Submarine tragedy remains ongoing, experts have raised concerns about the possibility of a flawed inquiry due to missing components of the submarine. Questions arise as to why these vital parts were not recovered during earlier phases of the investigation, adding a layer of intrigue to the incident.
Not at all mysterious - when something is imploded to smithereens on the ocean floor you're probably not going to be able to retrieve it all. Carbon composite can shatter, so I expect of it is in itty-bitty pieces. Oh, and there's an ecosystem full of hungry critters down there, pretty sure they've already done away with human remains in substantial chunks. Then, with all that going on, other bits and pieces fall off.

Although I did hear a rumor the game controller survived - have no idea if that's actually true.
According to OceanGate's website, courageous travelers joining these expeditions will embark on an awe-inspiring 8-day journey to dive on the legendary wreckage of the Titanic. Situated 380 miles offshore and resting 3,800 meters below the surface of the Atlantic coast of Canada, the dive promises to yield invaluable scientific insights while delivering an unparalleled and exhilarating experience.
Um... where are they getting another submersible from? And is it built any better than the last one?

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-07-01 11:27am Something my dad said when I was chatting to him about this yesterday just sunk in. All this money and effort to see a shipwreck - that's a mass grave. That's pretty fucking ghoulish.
Most shipwrecks are also graves.

Archeology was pretty much founded on tomb and grave robbing. We excuse it by saying it's for SCIENCE! but there's definitely a "ghoulish" aspect to it.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-07-01 11:27amI did like one of the FB posts from a Med tourism company though, pointing out that if you go there instead you can dive on the wreck of the Britannic that looks almost identical, is only in 130 metres (or feet, can't recall) of water, and isn't a mass grave.
Meters. It's in 395 feet of water, so 130 has to be meters.

And technically she's a grave, too, as 30 people did not survive the wreck (1,036 did survive - guess they had more lifeboats) and most of them were not retrieved.

But yeah, it would be a LOT safer to dive to Britannic.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-07-01 06:37pm
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-07-01 11:27am Something my dad said when I was chatting to him about this yesterday just sunk in. All this money and effort to see a shipwreck - that's a mass grave. That's pretty fucking ghoulish.
Most shipwrecks are also graves.

Archeology was pretty much founded on tomb and grave robbing. We excuse it by saying it's for SCIENCE! but there's definitely a "ghoulish" aspect to it.
Fair point. But these fuckers aren't going down there to study it, to learn from it, or anything. They just wanna say "ooo look where I went." Again, at a mass grave. To gawp and stare at a tragedy for...for what exactly? (Note: I am a wee bit shitfaced right now)

Though as my dad also pointed out - were their even external lights on this imploded tin can? I can't imagine they'd have been able to see much at that depth anyway.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, there were external lights. At that depth the ocean is pitch black (except for bioluminescent critters)

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-07-01 08:07pm Yes, there were external lights. At that depth the ocean is pitch black (except for bioluminescent critters)
Well this whole thing happened because the OceanGate CEO tried to beat the laws of physics related to the pressure at the ocean floor with essentially greed and wishful thinking, it wouldn't be that odd if he tried the same with physics of light absorption, honestly I only suspect that wasn't the case is that this wasn't the first dive.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-07-01 08:18pm
Broomstick wrote: 2023-07-01 08:07pm Yes, there were external lights. At that depth the ocean is pitch black (except for bioluminescent critters)
Well this whole thing happened because the OceanGate CEO tried to beat the laws of physics related to the pressure at the ocean floor with essentially greed and wishful thinking, it wouldn't be that odd if he tried the same with physics of light absorption, honestly I only suspect that wasn't the case is that this wasn't the first dive.
Even The Core wasn't this scientifically unsound as this line aptly summarises: "Well space is easy, it's empty."