Turkey don't want Sweden and Finland as part of NATO

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Turkey don't want Sweden and Finland as part of NATO

Post by The Infidel »

It's been in the works for a while now that Sweden and Finland wants to be part of NATO, something I, as a Norwegian, think is a great idea, so that all of Scandinavia (Sweden, Denmark and Norway) plus Finland can have more of a joint defense in the northern region. This is also apparently what General Secretary of NATO Jens Stoltenberg as a fellow Norwegian thinks.

Turkey has moved quite a bit afar from the democracy(-ish) it was before Erdogan, and as the only country in NATO, it doesn't want Finland and Sweden in NATO, allegedly because Sweden is supporting the Kurdish PKK.

I wonder how this will play out. In the current situation, it is important that NATO stands together without cracks that Putin can use to his advantage.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 022-05-16/
ISTANBUL, May 16 (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that Swedish and Finnish delegations should not bother coming to Ankara to convince it to approve their NATO bid.

In a news conference, Erdogan said Turkey would not approve their bids to join NATO, calling Sweden a "hatchery" for terrorist organisations, and adding they had terrorists in their parliament.

Ankara says Sweden and Finland harbor people it says are linked to groups it deems terrorists, namely the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group and followers of Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of orchestrating the 2016 coup attempt.
My own opinion is that it is a shame that the coup of 2016 didn't succeed, but that's beside the point here.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Re: Turkey don't want Sweden and Finland as part of NATO

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

The Infidel wrote: 2022-05-16 02:12pm It's been in the works for a while now that Sweden and Finland wants to be part of NATO, something I, as a Norwegian, think is a great idea, so that all of Scandinavia (Sweden, Denmark and Norway) plus Finland can have more of a joint defense in the northern region. This is also apparently what General Secretary of NATO Jens Stoltenberg as a fellow Norwegian thinks.

Turkey has moved quite a bit afar from the democracy(-ish) it was before Erdogan, and as the only country in NATO, it doesn't want Finland and Sweden in NATO, allegedly because Sweden is supporting the Kurdish PKK.

I wonder how this will play out. In the current situation, it is important that NATO stands together without cracks that Putin can use to his advantage.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 022-05-16/
ISTANBUL, May 16 (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that Swedish and Finnish delegations should not bother coming to Ankara to convince it to approve their NATO bid.

In a news conference, Erdogan said Turkey would not approve their bids to join NATO, calling Sweden a "hatchery" for terrorist organisations, and adding they had terrorists in their parliament.

Ankara says Sweden and Finland harbor people it says are linked to groups it deems terrorists, namely the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group and followers of Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of orchestrating the 2016 coup attempt.
My own opinion is that it is a shame that the coup of 2016 didn't succeed, but that's beside the point here.
Erdogan plays to his base, extracts a nice bribe from 3rd party countries, and Finland and Sweden eventually join.