Fox news attacks Star Trek

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Fox news attacks Star Trek

Post by PainRack »

This isn't important news, given the sad stories of two mass shootings in America, motivated by white supremacist terrorism.

But we do need to look at what's prompting such ideology.

Fox news.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/star-tr ... cmp=tw_fnc
The first blatant example of electioneering, on Star Trek Discovery, was a cameo by current and former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams as none other than the President of Federation of Planets. The second was a weird plot twist in the pilot of new show, Strange New Worlds in which the 2020 capitol riot is depicted and blamed for starting a Second American Civil War and the destruction of the planet. To put it more succinctly, Orange man bad.

To be fair, since the original 1960s series Star Trek has always delved into cultural and societal issues. It has always been credited with diverse casts, with tackling issues like saving the whales (remember that?) and with reflecting American and global foreign policy.

All of that should live long and prosper, but these two recent incidents go a good deal farther. This isn’t issue advocacy, it's pure partisan politics

Perhaps what America lacks more than anything today is a shared set of strong stories that help explain our world. Even our entertainment is awash in bitter partisanship. It leaves Americans too few places to ponder their lives and communities outside the context of red versus blue.
Yeah. Sheer stupidity. Hopefully it's something we can mock at as US domestic terrorism occurs again.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Fox news attacks Star Trek

Post by Tribble »

Ah, but for Fox News right wing attacks aren’t domestic terrorism at all, they are just True American Patriots Doing Their Duty against the evilz of Great Replacement.

From Fox’s perspective the real terrorists are everyone trying to “deceive” True American Patriots into believing that other races / ethnicities etc are human beings; can’t risk that line of thinking if your long term plan is to enslave and / or purge them all!

Obviously shows like Star Trek have to eventually be banned (Just like books teaching about race) should Republicans get into office.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I don't know why the other news media don't just outright say this is terrorism. Or "racially motivated". No, it's a hate crime and white supremacists terrorism. Say it....
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Actually, the two TV stations and three radio stations I've been listening to this week have all been quite explicit that the Tops grocery shooting in Buffalo was racially motivated and domestic terrorism, and that the perpetrator is a White supremacist and anti-Semite. Then again, none of those outlets are Fox.

Also addressed the national bias of the Laguna Woods, California shooting.

So US media is addressing these issues - but Fox, which isn't, is getting a bunch of publicity.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice