Biden says right to choose 'fundamental' after leaked document suggests US could allow abortion ban.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Biden says right to choose 'fundamental' after leaked document suggests US could allow abortion ban.

Post by LadyTevar »

A post making the rounds on Facebook:
"If it was about babies, we'd have excellent and free universal maternal health care. You wouldn't be charged a cent to give birth, no matter how complicated your delivery was. If it was about babies, we'd have months and months of parental leave, for everyone.

If it was about babies, we'd have free lactation consultants, free diapers, free formula. If it was about babies, we'd have free and excellent child-care from newborn on. If it was about babies, we'd have universal pre-school and pre-k and guaranteed after-school placements"
It's never been about BABIES.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Biden says right to choose 'fundamental' after leaked document suggests US could allow abortion ban.

Post by Gandalf »

It's getting to the interesting blame part of this story. Murkowski and Collins are being hilariously raked over the coals for their parts in confirming Beerguy and Gilead.

Murkowski and Collins are protesting that they had no idea that this would happen. But when a judge tells graduating law students, that their job is to create the kingdom of God, best to keep that in mind come confirmation hearings.

Somewhere Hillary Clinton gets another "I told you so" moment.
Khaat wrote: 2022-05-05 07:46am The term you're looking for is "fugitive slave laws".
That works.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Tsyroc wrote: 2022-05-05 09:48am I've seen some stuff saying that this was leaked to give the Democrats something to motivate its voters going into the midterm election. I can see that as a legit possibility.
Why? Are the Democrats going to do something about it?
Would you rather have them and the baby die because they had to go the "back alley" route.
Yes, they would rather that. They laugh about it if it comes up behind closed doors.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-05-04 04:43pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-05-04 11:01am THIS. Why push on a topic that's sensitive when you have something that is working.
Because as we've seen, it was working but needlessly fragile. A protection this essential is no good if it can be overturned by one presidential term worth of judicial appointments.
From the perspective of a cynical politician, the fragility of Roe could be seen as a feature rather than a bug. Both sides have been able to leverage the perception that this house of cards is only one election away from being toppled.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tsyroc wrote: 2022-05-05 09:48am I've seen some stuff saying that this was leaked to give the Democrats something to motivate its voters going into the midterm election. I can see that as a legit possibility.
It makes more sense for this to have been a leak by a conservative. By having this news come out now, instead of closer to the election when it's officially announced, the effect on voters will be smaller.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-05-05 02:00pm From the perspective of a cynical politician, the fragility of Roe could be seen as a feature rather than a bug. Both sides have been able to leverage the perception that this house of cards is only one election away from being toppled.
That certainly makes sense. It'll be bad come midterms when people can easily say that Democrats never really cared about your reproductive rights, but instead used the fear to drag you along to vote in Handsy Joe Biden.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

What I'm getting out of this is that a woman has no right to privacy and after the shit decisions of judges allowing rapist fucks to get away with a slap on the wrist because 'he was an athlete' is that we really aren't that far from roaming religious squads as seen in certain Islamist countries that will rape and kill women because they were 'too enticing.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I honest to god just want one Democrat governor or even a few Democrat members of Congress to say that justices like Kavanaugh aren't legitimate members of the court because they got that position through Republican obstructionism during Obama's tenure and then being rammed through once they controlled the presidency, and also because he's a rapist piece of shit that got away with it, and that as such any ruling where their vote would be the deciding factor isn't valid and they won't obey it.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-05-07 09:44am What I'm getting out of this is that a woman has no right to privacy and after the shit decisions of judges allowing rapist fucks to get away with a slap on the wrist because 'he was an athlete' is that we really aren't that far from roaming religious squads as seen in certain Islamist countries that will rape and kill women because they were 'too enticing.'
And don’t forget that according to some Republicans, “legitimate rapes rarely lead to pregnancy, because if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Also some Republicans believe that “A pregnancy cause by rape is something God intended to happen.”

So when a women gets pregnant form rape in Republican ‘Murica, either she wanted it all along and is lying, it’s her fault for her body failing to stop it… or God clearly intended for the whole thing to happen. And too bad, she must carry the child to term and likely have to raise it as well (adoption clinics are also likely on the chopping block).

Plus of course the public “shame” of having failed to stop her rapist from raping her. And as you pointed out, she was likely being “too enticing” to begin with. But that’s Republican morality for you.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Ralin wrote: 2022-05-07 02:23pm I honest to god just want one Democrat governor or even a few Democrat members of Congress to say that justices like Kavanaugh aren't legitimate members of the court because they got that position through Republican obstructionism during Obama's tenure and then being rammed through once they controlled the presidency, and also because he's a rapist piece of shit that got away with it, and that as such any ruling where their vote would be the deciding factor isn't valid and they won't obey it.
My preferred argument: 3 of them were appointed by a president who lost the popular vote and confirmed by senators that represent states that total considerably less than half the population of the country.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2022-05-07 10:20pm My preferred argument: 3 of them were appointed by a president who lost the popular vote and confirmed by senators that represent states that total considerably less than half the population of the country.
Who then, after losing his bid for re-relection, instigated an uprising that put the US Senate, Congress, and even the election process in mortal peril.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Formless wrote: 2022-05-04 06:10pm Oh, and watching a legaleagle short reminded me that in theory, Congress can impeach Supreme Court Justices. Its never happened before, however.
Incorrect. In 1804 Supreme Court justice Samuel Chase was impeached. No consequences ensued because the Senate acquitted him. Impeachment is a formal accusation. The trial and handing down of consequences occurs in the Senate.

So there is precedent for impeaching a Supreme Court justice and given the time it occurred would be impossible to assert the Founding Fathers would be opposed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-05-09 05:47am Incorrect. In 1804 Supreme Court justice Samuel Chase was impeached. No consequences ensued because the Senate acquitted him. Impeachment is a formal accusation. The trial and handing down of consequences occurs in the Senate.

So there is precedent for impeaching a Supreme Court justice and given the time it occurred would be impossible to assert the Founding Fathers would be opposed.
So, in theory, three of them could be impeached for purgery? Neat!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I'm hearing alot of "well, they can just go to a state where it's legal -- hurhurhur"

The next legal strategy by red states will be to make punishable crossing state lines to obtain abortion services or abortifacient drugs in much the same way certain states are currently making it punishable to transport minors across state lines to acquire services and/or drugs related to being transgender.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Darth Lucifer wrote: 2022-05-09 06:13pm I'm hearing alot of "well, they can just go to a state where it's legal -- hurhurhur"

The next legal strategy by red states will be to make punishable crossing state lines to obtain abortion services or abortifacient drugs in much the same way certain states are currently making it punishable to transport minors across state lines to acquire services and/or drugs related to being transgender.
Many already are working on fugitive slave women slave laws.
The Texas bounty laws are halfway there.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

You mean the states that are currently trying to deprive people of the right to vote? They will come after other rights, as we are the 'others' because we dare to speak against them. Right now the Democrat's need to support the 2nd Amendment as it is the only thing standing in the way of this shit.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

How will the sainted second amendment save people?

- George Carlin
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-05-10 03:44pmHow will the sainted second amendment save people?
By making life easier for the people who have lost faith in their ability to vote their way to a better America so they're just going to have to shoot a few Republicans pour encourager les autres, presumably.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ralin wrote: 2022-05-07 02:23pm I honest to god just want one Democrat governor or even a few Democrat members of Congress to say that justices like Kavanaugh aren't legitimate members of the court because they got that position through Republican obstructionism during Obama's tenure and then being rammed through once they controlled the presidency, and also because he's a rapist piece of shit that got away with it, and that as such any ruling where their vote would be the deciding factor isn't valid and they won't obey it.
Just a reminder that https://thediplomat.com/2018/08/compoun ... rtion-law/
This is what's going to happen soon. Doesn't matter if it's legal to abort because of rape,because ambiguity and the law is the law means some poor teen will get charged for abortion.

It's even more irritating because for a time, Islam taught that the soul of the foetus is at 4 months old, but obviously ideological creep started coming in. So, just the fact that there is no compromise possible because give an inch, they eventually take a mile.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-05-10 03:44pm How will the sainted second amendment save people?
Little known fact, you have the right to shoot two government officials as an American. (That's why it's the second amendment. Just like the third is about saying no to people who try to use your house three times. The fourth time they can, because it proves they really really mean it.)
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Straha wrote: 2022-05-28 05:00am
Gandalf wrote: 2022-05-10 03:44pm How will the sainted second amendment save people?
Little known fact, you have the right to shoot two government officials as an American. (That's why it's the second amendment. Just like the third is about saying no to people who try to use your house three times. The fourth time they can, because it proves they really really mean it.)
That is completely ignoring the technological context, which says absolutely, positively nope on that idea. Hell, you're going to make things worse with getting the tryrant you're trying to kill in power than the opposite. :banghead:

To defeat a tyrant now? You need to be, essentially, the military.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2022-05-28 10:39pm To defeat a tyrant now? You need to be, essentially, the military.
You always needed that at some point.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Ralin wrote: 2022-05-28 11:46pm
GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2022-05-28 10:39pm To defeat a tyrant now? You need to be, essentially, the military.
You always needed that at some point.
That betrays the reality if you put it like that. The reality, sadly, has small arms are basically the lowest casualty producer in combat for decades (even in Afghanistan), and the ones that are high in producing casualties are things that make big booms, things like rockets, missiles, bombs, recoilless rifles, I could go on but you get the idea. This, in conjunction with military-grade training, has made the 2nd Amendment obsolete, in effect.

If anything, trying to go after a tyrant with a gun will only make things worse, not better.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OK FOLKS, this is getting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off course.

Back to the OP please.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Aaand it's over.

- George Carlin