Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by Solauren »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-04-19 04:01pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-04-18 08:55pm The Cynic in me is convinced this would be a very easy way for Putin to remove military officers without it being obvious that it was a purge...
Not saying that was hit intent from the start, but at this point he might figure 'well, if they get killed, good riddance, and if they don't, they've proven their loyalty..."
There's of course the issue that the Ukrainians aren't really gonna co-operate with any purges Putin has planned and if are aware of those would more likely target the loyal officers to cripple the Russian war effort.
True. However, if all the officers sent are to be purged, or Putin isn't making it obvious it's a purge (he's sending in officer known to be loyal to him, as well as ones he wants dead), it could work for him.

However, it's just the Cynic in me.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Ukraine reacts to fears of Russian invasion as troops build up at the border

Post by LaCroix »

It's more likely a result of the Ukrainians using Drones to identify targets, and knowing that priorizing targeting command vehicles and people yelling orders is giving the most result per ammo deployed.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Putin just honored the brigade responsible for the mass murders in Bucha,
In a signed letter, Putin congratulated the unit for “protecting Russia's sovereignty” and stated that the unit acted with “great heroism and courage”. His full statement read, "Through astute and bold actions during the special military operation in Ukraine, the unit's staff became a role model in fulfilling its military duty, valour, dedication and professionalism,"

Classy :finger:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Zelenskyy meets with top US officials after asking for more powerful weapons from the West.
The Ukrainian president pressed Western countries to send more heavy weapons to help combat the Russian military before engaging in talks with top US security officials on Sunday.

In the first high level US trip to Kyiv since before the war began on February 24, Volodymyr Zelenskyy was said to have met US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin in the Ukrainian capital.

Oleksiy Arestovych, an adviser to the Ukrainian president, said in an interview late on Sunday that the talks are going on “right now”. The US has not commented.

Mr Zelenskyy had earlier said that he was looking for Americans to produce results, both in terms of arms and security guarantees.

“You can’t come to us empty-handed today, and we are expecting not just presents or some kind of cakes, we are expecting specific things and specific weapons,″ he said.

While the West has provided military equipment to Ukraine, Mr Zelenskyy has stressed repeatedly that his country needs more heavy weapons, including long-range air defence systems, as well as warplanes.

Ukrainian forces have managed to successfully repel assaults along the line of contact in the Donbas this week- the new focus in the war- according to an update from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Sunday.

The MoD said that "poor Russian morale" and limited time to reorganise their troops are among the factors hindering the efforts of the invading forces in Ukraine.

In a later update, the ministry said that Russia is planning a staged referendum in the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson aimed at justifying its occupation.

"The city is key to Russia's objective of establishing a land bridge to Crimea and dominating southern Ukraine."

Despite Ukrainian forces putting up a heavy resistance, Russian assaults continue, reinforcing the want in Kyiv for Ukraine to have more powerful weapons to defend against enemy attacks.

The Russian military reported hitting 423 Ukrainian targets overnight, including fortified positions and troop concentrations.

The country's warplanes were also said to have destroyed 26 Ukrainian military sites, including an explosives factory and several artillery depots.

Neither of these claims could be independently verified.

Before his meeting with Mr Blinken, Mr Zelenskyy said on Sunday that he talked with Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan about the need for the immediate evacuation of civilians from the besieged port city of Mariupol.

"I stressed the need for immediate evacuation of civilians from Mariupol, including Azovstal, and immediate exchange of blocked troops," he said on Twitter.

Turkey- a Nato member- has good relations with Ukraine and Russia, sharing a maritime border in the Black Sea with both of the countries.

But the Turkish president was said to have highlighted during the phone call that the evacuation of the wounded and civilians in Mariupol must be ensured as "the situation gets more saddening by the day".

Speaking from Kyiv’s ancient St. Sophia Cathedral earlier on Sunday, Mr Zelenskyy vowed that Ukraine will emerge victorious from the war in a defiant Orthodox Easter message.
“The great holiday today gives us great hope and unwavering faith that light will overcome darkness, good will overcome evil, life will overcome death, and therefore Ukraine will surely win!” he said.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly I'm starting to think there's no way Ukraine can win here as long as Putin is alive as Putin's pride will have him throw men and material at Ukraine until they're overwhelmed regardless of the cost to Russia.

Russia certainly has the troops that Ukraine won't last if Russia simply throws men in and pays no heed to the cost. While it certainly won't be worth the cost for Russia, like I said I suspect Putin's pride will not allow anything else (well I suppose it could allow nuking Ukraine until it glowed green during the night but in that case any cost will most likely be academic as use of nukes would pretty much spell the end of all civilizations on this planet).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1518221001762426883

So in summary, the Ukraine government's official account tweeted a thing talking about the defeat of fascism in 1945. It was accompanied by pictures of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito. Following complaints from the Japanese government and/or Japanese people (I'm a little unclear on that part) they apologized and edited it to remove Hirohito.

I get why they did it. Japan has been supportive of Ukraine and they're not in any position to turn down allies. But I hope they weren't aiming to win over anyone else in East Asia.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Ralin wrote: 2022-04-26 11:05am https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1518221001762426883

So in summary, the Ukraine government's official account tweeted a thing talking about the defeat of fascism in 1945. It was accompanied by pictures of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito. Following complaints from the Japanese government and/or Japanese people (I'm a little unclear on that part) they apologized and edited it to remove Hirohito.

I get why they did it. Japan has been supportive of Ukraine and they're not in any position to turn down allies. But I hope they weren't aiming to win over anyone else in East Asia.
I wonder if it would have went over better if they just put Tojo's picture instead.

I mean at the end of the day he was emperor until 1989. The only East Asian country I can think of that would be really offended and is also UKR leaning is SK so I suppose that's the problematic bit. I doubt it means much to Taiwan and Singapore.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

AniThyng wrote: 2022-04-26 11:40am
Ralin wrote: 2022-04-26 11:05am https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1518221001762426883

I wonder if it would have went over better if they just put Tojo's picture instead.

I mean at the end of the day he was emperor until 1989. The only East Asian country I can think of that would be really offended and is also UKR leaning is SK so I suppose that's the problematic bit. I doubt it means much to Taiwan and Singapore.
Picture of Tojo might have gone over better I mean that would been a better symbol of the Japanese imperialism of that era, I mean they did use the picture of Mussolini and not his nominal boss (aka the King of Italy)

EDIT:Granted their involvement in WWII is still something of sore spot to the Japanese people a reminder of that might still not go over well.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

AniThyng wrote: 2022-04-26 11:40am
That has occurred to me too, yes. I think it's fair to assume that whichever government officials were responsible for the original tweet just didn't know enough about that part of WWII to realize using him was both traditional and probably a better idea.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-04-26 03:10am Honestly I'm starting to think there's no way Ukraine can win here as long as Putin is alive as Putin's pride will have him throw men and material at Ukraine until they're overwhelmed regardless of the cost to Russia.

Russia certainly has the troops that Ukraine won't last if Russia simply throws men in and pays no heed to the cost. While it certainly won't be worth the cost for Russia, like I said I suspect Putin's pride will not allow anything else (well I suppose it could allow nuking Ukraine until it glowed green during the night but in that case any cost will most likely be academic as use of nukes would pretty much spell the end of all civilizations on this planet).
Well it's already damaging Russia:
Putin's 'second front' as wildfires ravage Russia distracting from Ukraine invasion.
Thousands of acres of Siberian forest are currently experiencing the flames causing massive destruction to the region. Areas affected include Omsk, Tyumen and Krasnoyarsk, all in Siberia, and all seeing towers of black smoke in the skies.

The huge fires have been labelled as a second front as the war with Ukraine rages on, with forces intensifying the attack in Eastern Ukraine.

Wild animals living in the area have been seen fleeing the flames.

With the seasons yet to hit peak summer temperatures, the arrival of the fires is unusually early for the area.

In one area, Krasnoyarsk, over 60 homes were destroyed by the inferno.

Smoke has also engulfed the major cities of Omsk, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk.

According to environmental group Greenpeace Russia, the fires have covered more than twice the amount of area compared to last years fires.

According to local official Aleksey Yaroshenko, some of the forest fires are now out of control, and are more widespread than initially reported.

Many of the fires are believed to have been started when locals have burned grassland in the region.

Emergency measures have been put in place by the Government to help tackle the blazes.

A UN climate report in February warned the climate crisis, combined with land use changes, is driving larger and more erratic wildfires across many regions.

Siberia, along with the US West, central India, Australia, and southern Europe are just some of the areas that have seen massively destructive fires in the past few years.

According to recent data sourced from the Russian Forestry Agency by Greenpeace, Russia is experiencing its worst forest fire season in modern history.

Jessica McCarty, a fire ecologist at Miami University in Ohio, told National Geographic: “Siberia has always been burning,”.

“It has extreme fire seasons.

“But when I talk to my colleagues who live in Siberia, they don’t talk about this as if it’s normal or indicative of the past.”
Basically, the Russian military normally fights these fires and they've all been sent to Ukraine, so there's nobody left to keep Russia from burning.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

And it just showed a new way for anti-Russia/Putin forces to fuck with Russia.

Start forest fires - Russia can't contain them if they're fighting in the Ukraine.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Solauren wrote: 2022-04-26 12:28pmAnd it just showed a new way for anti-Russia/Putin forces to fuck with Russia.

Start forest fires - Russia can't contain them if they're fighting in the Ukraine.
If they don't mind killing a lot of innocent people when a firestorm overruns a village or a logging camp, to say nothing of the long-term damage to the local environment.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote: 2022-04-26 02:33pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-04-26 12:28pmAnd it just showed a new way for anti-Russia/Putin forces to fuck with Russia.

If they don't mind killing a lot of innocent people when a firestorm overruns a village or a logging camp, to say nothing of the long-term damage to the local environment.
What goes around comes around- Russia has demonstrated they don't give a fuck about either of those things when it comes to Ukraine.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-26 05:34pmWhat goes around comes around- Russia has demonstrated they don't give a fuck about either of those things when it comes to Ukraine.
And that makes even so much as tacitly condoning that kind of collateral damage a good idea? Fuck-all good it does the Ukrainians and everyone else Russia might decide to have a go at next if Putin gets couped but whoever comes out on top is another wannabe Call of Duty villain.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote: 2022-04-26 07:30pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-26 05:34pmWhat goes around comes around- Russia has demonstrated they don't give a fuck about either of those things when it comes to Ukraine.
And that makes even so much as tacitly condoning that kind of collateral damage a good idea? Fuck-all good it does the Ukrainians and everyone else Russia might decide to have a go at next if Putin gets couped but whoever comes out on top is another wannabe Call of Duty villain.
I doubt those fires are deliberate since they happen often, however because no-one's around to fight them they do far more damage than they normally would.

The invaders will be pushing west to reach the eastern Moldova region of Transnistria, especially in light of recent events:
Fears grow over Moldova breakaway region being drawn into Ukraine war.
A Russian minister refused to rule out Moldova’s breakaway region Transnistria being drawn into the Ukraine war, in a potential escalation of the conflict to another European country.

The deputy foreign minister, Andrey Rudenko, said on Tuesday said Moscow “was concerned” over the string of recent explosions in Transnistria, saying Russia “would like to avoid a scenario” in which Transnistria would be dragged into the war.

Speaking to journalists in Moscow, Rudenko said the “situation with the explosions” in the region indicated that “certain forces” behind the attacks were interested in creating “another hotbed of tension in Europe” – a reference to two episodes of violence reported in the enclave in as many days.

“An investigation will be carried out accordingly, and we hope that the reasons will be established and those responsible will be punished,” RIA Novosti cited Rudenko as saying.

Transnistria, which is controlled by pro-Russian separatists and permanently hosts 1,500 Russian troops as well as a large arms depot, borders western Ukraine.

Rudenko’s statements came after Moldova’s president, Maia Sandu, convened a meeting of her security council on Tuesday following the two incidents.

On Tuesday morning, local authorities said two antennas that carried Russian radio broadcasts were blown up, while on Monday unknown attackers shelled the region’s state security ministry in Tiraspol with a hand grenade launcher.

After the security council meeting, Sandu said certain unnamed “forces inside Transnistria” were in “favour of war” and were interested in destabilising the situation in the region.

Russian president Vladimir Putin’s spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, earlier on Tuesday told journalists that he was “concerned” about the news that came out of Transnistria, while the leader of the self-proclaimed republic in Donetsk, Denis Pushilin, told the RIA Novosti that Moscow should “take into account what is happening in Transnistria” when planning the next stage of its military campaign.

Last week, a senior Russian commander said the goal of Russia’s new offensive was to seize control of southern Ukraine and to gain access to Transnistria, first creating worries that the small east European country could become a new flashpoint in rising tensions between Moscow and the west.

Commenting on the explosion at the security ministry, the Moldovan government said the blast had been aimed at “creating pretexts for straining the security situation” in the breakaway region.

Officials in Transnistria on Tuesday announced a number of new security measures, further raising concerns about a possible escalation in the breakaway state. Measures included the instalment of military checkpoints at the entrances to the cities of the region and the cancellation of the annual 9 May victory day parade.

Bob Deen, an expert on Moldova and a senior research fellow at the Clingendael Institute thinktank, said it was difficult to know whether the recent incidents were a false-flag operation by Russia or genuine acts of sabotage by anti-Russian groups.

But he said recent Russian rhetoric pointed to some of the long-term goals Russia had in mind for Transnistria. “We have seen that the topic of Transnistria is becoming discussed more openly in the Russian public domain. Russian recent statements could be an indication of the ambitions Moscow has there.”

According to Deen, it was unlikely that Russian forces would be able to stage an offensive toward the border with Moldova, given that Moscow was engaged in heavy fighting in the eastern Donbas region. To get to Transnistria, Moscow would need to stage an offensive toward Odesa, which has been hindered by the recent sinking of the Moskva cruiser, which forced Russian warships to move further away from Ukraine’s coast.

Deen was also sceptical that Transnistria’s own forces, which number about 7,500 troops, would be used in an attack on Ukraine from its western border.

“There is little appetite to fight in Ukraine among the Transnistrian troops as well as the general population in the region, many of whom are leaving towards Moldova to escape any potential violence.”

“Similarly to Belarus, the region does not want to be fully dragged into this war,” he said, adding that the recent rhetoric by Moscow may be a ploy to get Ukraine to pull troops away from the Donbas towards its western border.

With Russian backing, Transnistria fought a war against Moldova in the early 1990s that left the territory with de facto independence and a permanent Russian garrison. Russian state media – widely available in Transnistria – have played a significant role in cementing pro-Russian attitudes in the enclave as Moldova has shifted towards the west under the leadership of its liberal president.

Last week, Sandu signed into law a bill banning the orange and black striped ribbons of Saint George, which enjoy wide popularity in Russia as a way to show public support for the government and the military, a move that angered Russian officials. In the same bill, Sandu banned the prowar signs “Z” and “V”, first used by the Russian armed forces.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Russia halts gas exports to Poland and Bulgaria

Russian energy giant Gazprom says it has halted gas exports to Poland and Bulgaria over the countries' refusal to pay for supplies in roubles.

The firm said services will not be restored until payments are made in the Russian currency.

It comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered "unfriendly" countries to pay for gas in roubles.

Poland confirmed supplies had stopped, but Bulgaria said it was still unclear whether supplies had been halted.

Poland's deputy foreign minister said the country could cope without Gazprom's gas and had "taken some decisions many years ago to prepare for such a situation".

Marcin Przdacz told the BBC there were "options to get the gas from other partners," including the US and gulf nations.

Polish state gas company PGNiG, which bought 53% of its gas imports from Gazprom in the first quarter of this year, confirmed that supplies to the country had been halted.

It described the suspension as a breach of contract, adding that the company would take steps to reinstate the gas supply.

Meanwhile in Sofia, energy minister Alexander Nikolov said Bulgaria had paid for Russian gas deliveries for April and claimed supplier Gazprom will be in breach of its current contract if it halts the flow.

"Because all trade and legal obligations are being observed, it is clear that at the moment [Russian] natural gas is being used more as a political and economic weapon in the current war," Mr Nikolov said.

Bulgaria, which relies on Gazprom for more than 90% of its gas supply, said it had taken steps to find alternative sources but no restrictions on gas consumption were currently required.

The executive director of Bulgarian gas network operator Bulgartransgaz said supplies to Bulgaria were still currently flowing and Sofia has said it will continue to follow the EU's position and pay for its supplies in euros.

Bulgaria also transports Russian gas via an extension of the Turk Stream pipeline to neighbouring Serbia and from there to Hungary. Hungary and Austria also said gas supplies were normal.

Russia's top lawmaker said on Wednesday that gas giant Gazprom had made the right decision in suspending gas supplies to Bulgaria and Poland and said Moscow should do the same with other "unfriendly" countries.

"The same should be done with regard to other countries that are unfriendly to us," Vyacheslav Volodin, the speaker of Russia's lower house of parliament, the Duma, wrote on his Telegram channel.

UK Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab earlier told Sky News the decision to cut off gas supplies will have "a very damaging effect on Russia," adding that such moves could lead to the country becoming "an economic pariah".

Following Russia's announcement, Poland's climate ministry said the country's energy supplies were secure.

Climate Minister Anna Moskwa said there was no need to draw gas from reserves and gas to customers would not be cut.

Mr Przydacz said his country had been preparing for the possibility Russia might limit gas exports by diversifying its supplies.

"I'm pretty sure that we will manage to handle this," he told the BBC.

He added that the suspension proved Moscow was "not a reliable partner in any kind of business" and urged other European nations like Germany to support a ban on Russian energy imports.

Poland was already planning to stop importing Russian gas by the end of the year, when its long-term supply contract with Gazprom expires.

PGNiG said its underground gas storage was almost 80% full and, with summer approaching, demand was lower.

Poland also has alternative supply sources, including a liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal in Swinoujscie.

On 1 May, a new gas pipeline connection with Lithuania is also due to open that will give Poland access to gas from Lithuania's LNG terminal.

And a new pipeline delivering gas from Norway, known as the "Baltic Pipe", comes online in October. It should reach full capacity by the end of the year and could replace all Russian deliveries.

Supplies from Russia account for about 40% of the EU's natural gas imports.

However, many countries have pledged to move away from Russian energy in response to its invasion of Ukraine.

The US has declared a complete ban on Russian oil, gas and coal imports.

Meanwhile, the UK is to phase out Russian oil by the end of the year, with gas to follow as soon as possible, and the EU is reducing gas imports by two-thirds.
This feels like it is going to get very bad, very quickly
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Very true. However, to someone willing to do that to get rid of Putin, what's a few hundred more lives?

Not something I condone, but something that is probably a real possibility now.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-04-27 04:53am Russia halts gas exports to Poland and Bulgaria

Russian energy giant Gazprom says it has halted gas exports to Poland and Bulgaria over the countries' refusal to pay for supplies in roubles.

(SNIP)
This feels like it is going to get very bad, very quickly
Is Gazprom insane or just stupid? Or are the banks over there that stupid? (You take the equal value of the the account, and put it into the target account. I do it enough with cross-border purchases...)

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2022-04-27 10:52am

Very true. However, to someone willing to do that to get rid of Putin, what's a few hundred more lives?

No it isn't. It wouldn't meaningfully affect the Russian military or induce any sort of policy change, and it would be a great excuse for even more targeted violence against Ukrainian people and infrastructure.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2022-04-27 11:04am
Solauren wrote: 2022-04-27 10:52am

No it isn't. It wouldn't meaningfully affect the Russian military or induce any sort of policy change, and it would be a great excuse for even more targeted violence against Ukrainian people and infrastructure.
I was thinking more Russian-Dissidents then a tactic for the Ukraine to use.

After all, if the army is busy fighting in the Ukraine, and then lots of forest fires, who's protecting Putin?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2022-04-27 11:42am
After all, if the army is busy fighting in the Ukraine, and then lots of forest fires, who's protecting Putin?
The people whose specific job it is to protect Putin.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Russia can, and likely will, mobilize reservists to fight the fires if they get severe enough and the usual units tasked with that can't deal with them.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Ralin wrote: 2022-04-27 01:22pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-04-27 11:42am
The people whose specific job it is to protect Putin.
Aka the equivalent of the Republican Guard of ol' Saddam fame...
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Seriously Solauren, how are you picturing this accomplishing anything? Putin's bodyguards are sent away to deal with the fire and someone launches an attack on him while they're distracted? That's not how this works.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Sorry, I'm with Ralin. Why would Adolf's Putin's personal guards be called away to fight forest fires?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'