Tokyo Olympics to be held without fans after new COVID-19 state of emergency declared

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Tokyo Olympics to be held without fans after new COVID-19 state of emergency declared

Post by bilateralrope »

Formless wrote: 2021-07-13 03:54pm
The difference between a normal sporting event and the Olympics is that the former is normal entertainment for local consumption and the latter is a limited time tourist attraction. It attracts people from all over the place, oftentimes all over the world, but most of the tourists are expected to be Japanese in this case. The Japanese tend to vacation in other parts of Japan, even though its not a particularly large country. Thus the Olympics would threaten to not only be a hotspot for Covid, but also a potential super-spreader event for the entire country.
A possibility they removed by preventing fans directly watching the events.
Other sporting events will draw in crowds, but they will all be from the local precinct or prefecture at the largest. So its not as big of a deal. Still big enough one could argue that all the baseball fields should be shut down, but its not as compelling as limiting access to or even shutting down the Olympic games.
The issue is that, as long as those other sporting events remain open, Japan will have trouble getting people to believe that the pandemic is the reason for shutting down the Olympics. Which gives the IOC enough leverage to force the games to happen.

So shutting down those other sporting events would do two things: Shut down the current outbreak quicker and reduce the IOC's leverage.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Re: Tokyo Olympics to be held without fans after new COVID-19 state of emergency declared

Post by Formless »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-07-14 03:01amThe issue is that, as long as those other sporting events remain open, Japan will have trouble getting people to believe that the pandemic is the reason for shutting down the Olympics. Which gives the IOC enough leverage to force the games to happen.

So shutting down those other sporting events would do two things: Shut down the current outbreak quicker and reduce the IOC's leverage.
From the sounds of it, the Japanese people are the ones most adamant about cancelling the games completely due to covid. You have the problem precisely backwards. Convincing the IOC that a fucking pandemic is more important than a goddamn sporting event seems to be the problem, to the point we're even talking about the hypothetical outcome of a lawsuit between them and the Japanese government should they step in to protect Tokyo from the IOC's bullshit. I think the Japanese understand the distinction I was making just fine.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Sure, the Japanese people do. But it looks like their government has priorities other than protecting them from covid.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-07-14 03:55am Sure, the Japanese people do. But it looks like their government has priorities other than protecting them from covid.
So again: the Japanese government is a combination of weak, cowardly and unconcerned about the welfare of their people.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Formless wrote: 2021-07-14 03:11am Convincing the IOC that a fucking pandemic is more important than a goddamn sporting event seems to be the problem, to the point we're even talking about the hypothetical outcome of a lawsuit between them and the Japanese government should they step in to protect Tokyo from the IOC's bullshit.
More and more I'm convinced the IOC doesn't give a fuck about sports, it's all about exploiting human beings in order to make money, and by "human beings" I mean not just the athletes but also the spectators (both in person and via TV/video) and city governments.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

IOC is well known for putting all the financial burden on the location and then walking away with the contents of the register.

I don't think there is ANY host in the last few decades that did not end up with massive debt after hosting the games, while the IOC claimed record revenue....
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

And yet nations keep signing up to host them.

One thing that could be worth watching is how Australia reacts to any outbreak in the 2020 games. Brisbane is expected to be announced as the host of the 2032 games a few days before the 2020 games open. Does anyone know how long it normally takes before a host being officially selected and the contracts being signed ?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Yeah I barely pay attention to the Olympics and I was under the impression it was common knowledge to anyone who does that they are ridiculously corrupt.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LaCroix wrote: 2021-07-14 08:46am I don't think there is ANY host in the last few decades that did not end up with massive debt after hosting the games, while the IOC claimed record revenue....
Some have made profits, but it seems to be entirely dependent on how well the country can manage their way around building the infrastructure. Beijing 2008 apparently made over a billion Yuan in profit.
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-07-14 09:25amDoes anyone know how long it normally takes before a host being officially selected and the contracts being signed ?
I did some shallow digging, and it looks like the formal contract was signed on the same day that the IOC had its final vote on hosts, on 7/9/13.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2021-07-14 09:30am Yeah I barely pay attention to the Olympics and I was under the impression it was common knowledge to anyone who does that they are ridiculously corrupt.
The Olympic events themselves (as in the actual 'matches', etc), do not appear to be corrupt. It would be too bloody obvious if they were. Bad calls are one thing, but blatant corruption and favourtism in judging would be (and has been) challenged very publicaly, and would hurt the Olympic image.

And the Olympics are all about image.

That said, yeah, the IOC is corrupt. Its gone from what could be called an international peaceful co-operative effort, to a international corporation that gets cities and countries to pay for the TV shows they licsense out.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Olympics President Sparks Outrage in Tokyo by Referring to Japanese People as “Chinese”
BY PATRICK BRZESKI
JULY 13, 2021 11:03PM

The gaffe has renewed criticism from those who say the IOC and its chief have repeatedly disrespected the people of the host country, while putting profits ahead of safety.

The 2020 Tokyo Olympics, already deeply unpopular in Japan, have come under a fresh wave of criticism.

International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach on Tuesday referred to the Japanese people as “Chinese” during his first public comments after landing in Japan and completing quarantine.

Bach’s speech was intended as a pep talk for the beleaguered Tokyo Games but instead became yet another source of controversy, with local critics saying the gaffe was indicative of the IOC’s repeated lack of respect for the people of Japan.

The IOC president was attempting to reassure the host country, which is currently under a state of emergency amid rising delta variant COVID-19 cases, that the Olympics would not become a super-spreader event.

“Our common target is safe and secure games,” Bach said. “For everybody — for the athletes, for all the delegations and most importantly also for the Chinese people,” he went on, quickly attempting to correct himself by adding, “Japanese people.”

The live interpreters at the press conference didn’t translate the mistake from English to Japanese but Japanese media outlets nonetheless reported on the gaffe. It then went viral on social media, further compounding the Games’ deep unpopularity in the country. Recent polling has showed that a sizable majority of the Japanese public wants the Tokyo Olympics canceled.

Bach’s gaffe follows a string of statements from IOC officials that have incensed the Japanese public and international onlookers.

During the run-up to the Games, at a moment when Japan’s medical system was under strain, IOC member Dick Pound told the press the Tokyo Olympics would take place “barring Armageddon,” and regardless of whether Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga explicitly asks that they be canceled.

Bach caused an additional outcry in late May by saying there was a “need to make sacrifices” (the IOC later tried to roll back his comments by insisting he wasn’t referring to the lives of Japanese people).

Last week, Japan’s Olympic organizers decided to ban all spectators from Tokyo Olympic venues, except for at a handful of smaller events taking place outside the Japanese capital. Tokyo was placed under a state of emergency on Monday, which will extend until Aug. 22. The decisions have rendered the Tokyo Games a fully made-for-TV event, with public gatherings and anything like a festival atmosphere officially discouraged throughout Japan.

Critics have argued that the Japanese people have been asked to bear all of the risks of staging the Olympics within an island nation, while the IOC and foreign broadcasters stand to reap all of the profits.

Officials estimate that 15,400 athletes will participate in the Olympics and Paralympics, which take place throughout July and August. Including coaches, family members, media, IOC staff and sponsors, the two events are expected to bring about 93,000 people from over 200 countries into Japan.

When Tokyo was awarded the 2020 Summer Olympics in 2013, organizers forecast that spectators, mostly incoming foreign tourists, would spend almost $2 billion on tickets, hotels, meals and merchandise; and that the beneficial exposure and word-of-mouth effect of the foreign influx and attention, what local economists called “legacy effects,” would generate an additional $10 billion in inbound consumer spending over the coming decade. Under current restrictions, nearly all of that anticipated economic benefit for Japan is long gone. Meanwhile, Japan and its taxpayers are estimated to have spent more than $26 billion on hosting the Games, including additional cost overruns because of the yearlong postponement.

The IOC, on the other hand, stands to profit handsomely from forging ahead with the troubled Tokyo Olympics. The organization generates almost 75 percent of its income from selling broadcast rights, and NBCUniversal, the U.S. rights holder, is the single largest source of that revenue, representing about 40 percent of the total. NBC paid the IOC $4.4 billion for the four Olympics spanning 2014 to 2020, and another $7.75 billion for the next six Games running 2022 through 2032. Discovery Inc., which holds the European rights, is another major benefactor.

During an investor conference in mid-June, NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell boasted that the pandemic-tainted Tokyo Games were shaping up to be the “most profitable Olympics in the history of the company.”
They have the contract, so they have stopped pretending to care about publicity.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Jesus, I don't know who should be more insulted by that mistake-- the Japanese because he doesn't know which country he is exploiting, or the Chinese because the idiot still associates Covid with their country. :shock:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Formless wrote: 2021-07-15 04:19pm Jesus, I don't know who should be more insulted by that mistake-- the Japanese because he doesn't know which country he is exploiting, or the Chinese because the idiot still associates Covid with their country. :shock:
Japan. Unless he was in a comma from a few days prior to heading to Japan, to 2 minutes before he spoke, there is no bloody excuse for not knowing what country you are in.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Quick glance at the reported costs/profits of Olympics going back a couple of decades... seems to be a bit of boom and bust. Some countries make out like bandits and do ok and some end up with ridiculous bills (lol Sydney 2000), seems to be more winners than losers though in the 2 decades.

Notable is that financial records for the 1998 Nagano olympics in Japan were burned by the Japanese olympic committee, make of that what you will.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

I honestly think the Olympics should be held in Greece exclusively.

... they're originally Greek
... A fixed regular source of income (tourism) would do Greece alot of good
... Permanent fixed facilities for events would be long term cost savings
... Said facilities and housing for the competitors and support staff could be built to be isolated from the general public.
... in the event of another pandemic or similiar, one round of 'no viewers' isn't a big deal.
... it would remove (if not negate) alot of the IOCs precieved power.

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I've heard similar arguments, usually with regards to the winter Olympics since global warming will someday force their hand. However, in regards to the summer games, I've heard the argument that Los Angeles is better suited for it for infrastructure reasons like transportation and the necessary stadiums for many of the modern competitions.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Formless wrote: 2021-07-16 03:44pm I've heard similar arguments, usually with regards to the winter Olympics since global warming will someday force their hand. However, in regards to the summer games, I've heard the argument that Los Angeles is better suited for it for infrastructure reasons like transportation and the necessary stadiums for many of the modern competitions.
That could be said about several major cities. However, unlike Greece, they don't really need the revenue stream.

Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-07-14 09:25am And yet nations keep signing up to host them.

One thing that could be worth watching is how Australia reacts to any outbreak in the 2020 games. Brisbane is expected to be announced as the host of the 2032 games a few days before the 2020 games open. Does anyone know how long it normally takes before a host being officially selected and the contracts being signed ?
Not so much anymore.

Pretty much the only countries willing to bid on Winter Olympics now are dictactorships looking to put on a propaganda event. The summer event still gets some interest but much less than it did. Voters in particular have started to get wise about how bad a deal they are.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Hopefully, that will further erude support for the Olympics as they currently are managed, and we'll see some reform.

I still think they're a huge waste of time and money, but if they are to continue, I'd at least seem them be properly managed.

(I'd prefer a move away from semi-professional, trained for their entire lives competitors, towards open try outs for a place on the Olympic team. Sure, the odds of your average joe making the team are damn low, but at least it would give the people whos parents didn't have thousands of dollars to pay for training a chance)

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tokyo Olympics: Superfan left holding worthless tickets after Games spectator ban
Kazunori Takashima was just one Games away from breaking an Olympic record - and he's not even an athlete.

He's attended every Olympic Games since 2006.

"Watching sport at the Olympic Games is amazing, I feel." says Takashima.

That feeling is worth $40,000 to him - that's how much he spent on his 197 tickets for Tokyo 2020. They would have secured him the world record for attendance, but are now worth nothing.

"Everything is disappeared," says Takashima. "It's very sad."

The decision to ban spectators was made a week ago. Since then, COVID cases have hit a six-month high.

While Takashima feels for the families that can't be there, others are calling for those who have already arrived to turn around and go home.

Still, the New Zealand team continue to show up - without friends and family sure - but so far without issue.

"It was hard driving here past some of the magnificent venues that have been set up for these Olympic Games, because they are spectacular and it would have been amazing to have crowds there," says NZ chef de mission Rob Waddell.

"But I know athletes are really excited about coming and genuinely feel privileged to be here."

Even as Olympic officials - including president Thomas Bach - ramp up their sale of the crowd-free dream, Tokyo locals refuse to buy in.

The Olympic Games motto is 'faster, higher, stronger', but with the virus moving faster and the tension is rising higher, the pressure on Tokyo 2020 to be successful is stronger than ever.
No mention of a refund, so I'm going to assume he didn't get one until I hear otherwise. I want to hear otherwise.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Solauren wrote: 2021-07-17 11:12am Hopefully, that will further erude support for the Olympics as they currently are managed, and we'll see some reform.

I still think they're a huge waste of time and money, but if they are to continue, I'd at least seem them be properly managed.

(I'd prefer a move away from semi-professional, trained for their entire lives competitors, towards open try outs for a place on the Olympic team. Sure, the odds of your average joe making the team are damn low, but at least it would give the people whos parents didn't have thousands of dollars to pay for training a chance)
Wouldn't that just mean you could only compete if you were independently (family) wealthy already? Like 'unpaid' internships that often turn into well-paid positions?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I was more thinking

You make the team, so the government pays you a salary to go to the Olympics, and it counts like jury duty so your regular job can't fire you.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And Covid has hit Olympic Village
BBC News wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/57844406

Tokyo Olympics: First Covid cases in athletes' village

Two South Africa footballers have become the first competitors to test positive for coronavirus in the athletes' village in Tokyo - five days before the start of the Olympic Games.

Meanwhile, six athletes and two staff members from Team GB's athletics team are self-isolating after being identified as close contacts of an individual who tested positive after their arrival into Tokyo on 16 July.

South Africa's Football Association confirmed Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi as their positive cases.

The South Africa football team's video analyst Mario Masha also tested positive on Saturday and the team is in quarantine pending more test results.

Another athlete from outside the village tested positive on Sunday too.

"We have three positive cases of Covid-19 in the camp here, two players and an official," said South Africa team manager Mxolisi Sibam.

"There is daily screening which included taking temperature and saliva testing, Masha and Monyane reported high temperatures and positive saliva tests and were then taken to do the nasal test, which we all had initially taken and they unfortunately tested positive for Covid through that test. Mahlatsi is the latest player to go through the same process."

Monyane, a right-back with Orlando Pirates in his homeland, posted on social media when the team arrived in Tokyo.

South Africa Sevens rugby coach Neil Powell also tested positive on Sunday on arrival in Japan and is now isolating in Kagoshima, where the squad is based for a pre-Games training camp.

In total, organisers on Sunday reported 10 new cases connected to the Olympics including media, contractors and other personnel. That compares with 15 new cases on Saturday.

Infection rates are rising among the general population of Tokyo, topping 1,000 new cases for four consecutive days. Polls show many Japanese people oppose holding the Games with the influx of overseas visitors it entails.

Tokyo 2020 spokesman Masa Takaya said the three cases were from the "same country and sport". They are "isolated in their rooms and Tokyo 2020 is delivering meals to them", he said, adding that the rest of the team - which has not been identified - have also been tested.

The British Olympic Association (BOA) said six athletes and two staff members from the athletics team were identified as close contacts of an individual who is not from the Team GB delegation in Tokyo.

The group are in self-isolation in their rooms at the association's preparation camp, having all tested negative upon their arrival in Japan, and under the supervision of the Team GB medical team, led by chief medical officer Dr Niall Elliott.

"This is disappointing news for the athletes and staff, but we absolutely respect the protocols in place," said Team GB chef de mission Mark England.

"We will offer them every support during this period and we are hopeful that they will be able resume training again soon."

In response to the news British athlete Taylor Campbell, who will compete in the hammer throw in Tokyo, said cases like this would be "unavoidable".

"I'm on a flight now with GB members and instead of putting us together at the back of the flight we are mixed among the public," he tweeted.

"We asked at the desk to be moved next to other team members onto empty rows but weren't allowed to change our seat. We have trained hard to get in this position to now risk it all on something out of our control."

Speaking on Saturday, Games chief Seiko Hashimoto said: "Athletes who are coming to Japan are probably very worried. I understand that.

"We are doing everything to prevent any Covid outbreaks. If we end up with an outbreak we will make sure we have a plan in place to respond."

Australia's entire athletics team for the Tokyo Olympics were quarantined in their rooms on Saturday at their pre-Games training camp in Cairns, following a Covid-19 scare.

An inconclusive test had been returned by an official but subsequent tests were negative, the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) confirmed on Sunday.

Athletes have since been permitted to compete in a warm-up event

"My understanding is [Athletics Australia] applied an abundance of caution," said David Hughes, the AOC's chief medical officer.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Daily tests and they only catch a case 5 days out from the games. That sounds a lot like someone getting infected after arriving in Japan, while in quarantine.

My exception of an outbreak during the games has gone up.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tokyo Olympics: 'Plague of oysters' threatens key venue
Officials in Tokyo are nervously eyeing the waters at a major Olympic venue where an unwanted visitor has cost $1.28m (£930,000) in emergency repairs.

The Sea Forest Waterway in Tokyo Bay which will host the canoeing and rowing events was ready ahead of schedule.

But the one thing no-one counted on was oysters.

Massive numbers of them had attached themselves to floats intended to stop waves bouncing back across the water and on to the athletes.

The oysters were discovered when puzzled officials began investigating why the floats had started sinking.

Solving the problem has been a huge and time consuming task.

Equipment laid over a span of 5.6km (3.4mi) either had to be dragged ashore and repaired, or cleaned in place by teams of divers. In total, they removed 14 tonnes of oysters.

And these weren't just any shellfish. Officials found they were magaki oysters, which are a hugely popular delicacy during the winter in Japan.

However, they haven't been able to take advantage of their bumper harvest.

"We did not consider consuming them," a member of the team told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper. "That would entail safety checks."

A real shame because, although prices vary around the world, those oysters could easily be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

The Sea Forest Waterway is the only international standard rowing course in the whole country.

With a budget of only about $1.5m a year to keep it afloat after the games are over, authorities better hope they find a long-term solution to their expensive oyster problem.
I don't see this rowing course lasting long after the games end. Probably the first one they realize isn't a long term investment.