Wealth inequality visualized

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Wealth inequality visualized

Post by His Divine Shadow »

And what you can do with it. It's good to see things visually, not fun to try and scroll the 275,000 needless childrens deaths though.

https://mkorostoff.github.io/1-pixel-wealth/
These programs combined would completely transform our world. By redistributing this wealth, millions of lives would be saved. Billions would be rescued from poverty and disease. By inconveniencing just 400 people, the entire human race could advance to a new, unprecedented level of development.
And all of them would still be billionaires afterwards.
Is it really so radical to suggest that this is the right thing to do? Given the choice between millions of deaths, and slightly shrinking the fortunes of a few super rich people, how could anyone conclude that the death of millions is preferable?
We cannot accept this level
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Wealth inequality visualized

Post by wautd »

Well that was sobering :(
It's also infuriating that huge companies like Amazon pay little to none taxes. It's unfair competition towards small businesses that do
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It's how they're able to sell stuff so cheaply. The sanctimonious way it claims that no individual deserves this much money made me lose interest though.
His Divine Shadow

Go fuck yourself idiot
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ah the cut and thrust of enlightened intellectual debate.
His Divine Shadow

Fuck that noise, can't be arsed, I just say what I feel.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

wautd wrote: 2021-05-21 07:03am Well that was sobering :(
It's also infuriating that huge companies like Amazon pay little to none taxes. It's unfair competition towards small businesses that do
Worse than that. There are companies, including Amazon, who managed to get away with a negative effective tax rate for 2018.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2021-05-21 11:52am Go fuck yourself idiot
What can I say, I have limited tolerance for sanctimonious horseshit :roll:
His Divine Shadow

Right. Says the fucking idiot billionaire defender. Like that isn't the truest form of sanctimonius horseshit if ever there was, oh those poor billionaires worked hard for their fortunues, how dare you suggest etc etc.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2021-05-21 02:12pm Right. Says the fucking idiot billionaire defender. Like that isn't the truest form of sanctimonius horseshit if ever there was, oh those poor billionaires worked hard for their fortunues, how dare you suggest etc etc.
Right. Tell me, how much baling twine did you use to make that massive strawman? :wanker:
His Divine Shadow

Is that you jerking billionaire dick?
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Is it sisal or polypropylene?
His Divine Shadow

Keep at it, maybe something will trickle down
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

You would find, if you did try to seize their wealth, that it's mostly tied up in stocks, and the act of seizing it would cause the value of said stocks to crash. You'd get a lot, but much of the "fortune" would evaporate in the seizure.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
His Divine Shadow

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

So I saw, but that's just dealing in the market cap. It doesn't address the real psychological effect of seeing hundreds of billions of dollars worth of stock seemingly arbitrarily seized; no one wants to be holding the bag when that happens so it could and probably would trigger a massive selloff.

Again, that doesn't mean the project wouldn't be worth doing. As the link notes, the calculations could be off 500% and there would still be more than enough. I'm not saying it would evaporate the entire market.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
His Divine Shadow

Yeah there are such fantastical and unimagniable sums out there that if you even siphon of a miniscule amount you'd be able to do so much with it. And gotta say so far looks like Biden is doing a lot more of that kind of stuff than I would have given him credit for. I really hope that global corporate tax initative of his goes somewhere. There was this idea in the 90s to add transaction fees to capital transfers too, maybe it's time has come.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

It might offset some of the cost- does it come in rolls long enough or do you buy it by the mile?
So I saw, but that's just dealing in the market cap. It doesn't address the real psychological effect of seeing hundreds of billions of dollars worth of stock seemingly arbitrarily seized; no one wants to be holding the bag when that happens so it could and probably would trigger a massive selloff.
It also ignores the small matter of exactly how such a thing is supposed to be carried out, which that page is suspiciously devoid of mentioning. It's not as though we live in a dictatorship where stocks and shares can be seized "just because" via some idealised half-baked Robin-Hood style notion. And that's just the easy part.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2021-05-21 11:52am Go fuck yourself idiot
REMEMBER THE RULES -- No Ad Hominems!!
You know better. :evil:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-05-21 11:49am It's how they're able to sell stuff so cheaply. The sanctimonious way it claims that no individual deserves this much money made me lose interest though.
What is your problem with its take though?

At the end of the day, the type of wealth they have garnered can only come through massive exploitation of labor and resources.

With the changes in finance/banking in the past couple decades, it feels like we're keeping the US government in the 20th Century. We are so focused on the idea that the US government needs cold hard cash so we gotta liquidate the stock, that we aren't considering alternate instruments such as perhaps the stock itself.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."