Biden Lifts Health Care Plan From Insurance Lobbyists

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Biden Lifts Health Care Plan From Insurance Lobbyists

Post by PainRack »

Jub wrote: 2021-02-03 11:29pm I'm curious and will probably look it up myself but does anybody know how many changes Trump had pushed through by the end of his first 30 days in office? It will be interesting to compare the two (and Obama) and see if Biden is actually dragging his feet or if Trump just came in and got (terrible) things done.
It difficult though. Trump signed a lot of executive orders but a LOT OF THEM didn't make it into practice.

Some like the muslim ban was challenged by courts successfully. Others were weasel like and just promised changes in future like coal mining and EPA.

The 100 days is the norm for comparison so

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/trump ... esidencies

24 executive orders

Biden in two weeks has signed 28 executive orders.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/03/96338018 ... cord-start

Or almost as many as FDR did in a month of office.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And a lot of the Biden EO's where just to undo the EO's Trump signed in his last two weeks of office.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... l-n1259343
The reforms, which would include temporarily expanding subsidies to purchase insurance and making them available to people of all incomes for the first time, have gotten little attention from either party.
So. , the House has passed the Covid relief bill, which essentially gives money to people to buy health insurance, making it more accessible.

Nancy Pelosi first floated this last year and it IS a temporary subsidy but both Hilary are and Bidencare had this as their platform for reforms to the ACA.
Democrats are already discussing creating a public insurance option that would compete with private insurers in a future bill. There's also a push to allow some older Americans to buy into traditional Medicare.
Meanwhile the guns are out for a public option.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

PainRack wrote: 2021-03-03 01:36amSo. , the House has passed the Covid relief bill, which essentially gives money to people to buy health insurance, making it more accessible.

Nancy Pelosi first floated this last year and it IS a temporary subsidy but both Hilary are and Bidencare had this as their platform for reforms to the ACA.
Is there anything which will stop inflation of health insurance premiums? Technically competition should mean that different companies should try to provide the cheapest option, but if everybody has say $100 more to spend they could just put up everything $100.

It might be possible to hide the increase as well as at the moment you would expect health insurance premiums to increase as more people would be claiming due to COVID compared to previous years.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Bedlam wrote: 2021-03-03 03:17am
PainRack wrote: 2021-03-03 01:36amSo. , the House has passed the Covid relief bill, which essentially gives money to people to buy health insurance, making it more accessible.

Is there anything which will stop inflation of health insurance premiums? Technically competition should mean that different companies should try to provide the cheapest option, but if everybody has say $100 more to spend they could just put up everything $100.
Yes. The ACA has already forced companies to refund premiums as 80% must be used for healthcare and the MLR has been in effect for the last 4 years running Indeed, despite corporations fear, it has been profitable enough that well, aetna and etc are reintering ACA exchanges.

And Biden here also insituted more caps.
It might be possible to hide the increase as well as at the moment you would expect health insurance premiums to increase as more people would be claiming due to COVID compared to previous years.
We already HAVE the 2021 premium plan up since Dec. ACA prices continued their fall, especially since 2019 MLR forced refunds.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Bedlam wrote: 2021-03-03 03:17am

Yes. The ACA has already forced companies to refund premiums as 80% must be used for healthcare and the MLR has been in effect for the last 4 years running Indeed, despite corporations fear, it has been profitable enough that well, aetna and etc are reintering ACA exchanges.

And Biden here also insituted more caps.
We already HAVE the 2021 premium plan up since Dec. ACA prices continued their fall, especially since 2019 MLR forced refunds.