time to give your odds

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

time to give your odds

Post by Enforcer Talen »

just cuz I like knowing the numbers, what would you put the odds of:

saddam using chemical weapons
bush using tacnukes in reply
isreal using nukes in reply

and any other topic you think worth betting on?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Joe
Space Cowboy

Re: time to give your odds

Post by Joe »

Enforcer Talen wrote:just cuz I like knowing the numbers, what would you put the odds of:

saddam using chemical weapons
bush using tacnukes in reply
isreal using nukes in reply

and any other topic you think worth betting on?
1 - 15%
2 - 0%
3 - 5%

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

1 - 50%
2 - 0%
3 - 100% if israel is hit directly, 10-35% if israel is not hit but targeted and fired against, 0.1% if nothing is shot towards israel.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Assuming Hussein has chemical weapons (I don't discount the potential of a bluff or misinterpretation), I would say 80% chance he uses them.

Bush won't use tacnukes. His staff will be able to talk him out of it. 10% chance of nuclear retaliation by us at best.

Israel is more of a wildcard. Assuming we shoot down any Iraqi SCUDs or other missiles with PAC-3s, and we get a good diplomat out there quickly saying to let us take care of Iraq, no more than a 10% chance they'll use nukes. If a chemical weapon hits in a significantly populated area, 75% chance they'll use nukes.

As usual, just my opinions, and I'm usually wrong :D .
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

1: 100% that Saddam will issue orders if and when he sees himself as backed into a corner. Unknown if the Iraqi troops will follow--Iraqi generals talked Saddam out of gassing the Americans during Gulf War II, after all.

2: 99%. The only real question is if there will be a 'demonstration' strike or if Shrubby's puppet masters will go for all-out ciity busting.

3: 100% if hit directly.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

enlightenment, i doubt bush is that stupid. 99%? i mean cmon, thats pretty much guaranteed and while we reserved the right to do so, it would kill local support in iraq.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

saddam using chemical weapons - 15% to 20% Chance of them actually beign used.

bush using tacnukes in reply - 0%-5% He smart enough to know that if we fire nukes in reply we'd be risking too much for too little gain.

isreal using nukes in reply - 100% If they get gassed it'll be an all out war.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

kojikun wrote:enlightenment, i doubt bush is that stupid. 99%? i mean cmon, thats pretty much guaranteed and while we reserved the right to do so, it would kill local support in iraq.
Shrubby is a none-issue. What Wolf-no-witz, Chainy, and Rumpsfelt want is much more the issue. They're all rabid jingoist nationalists.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:2: 99%. The only real question is if there will be a 'demonstration' strike or if Shrubby's puppet masters will go for all-out ciity busting.
Ah, the ever objective Enlightenment spews another fountain of bullshit. :roll:

Even a foriegn policy simpleton like Bush wouldn't unleash nukes lightly. We'd only lose if we unleash nuclears weapons and Bush and his advisors both know that.

Hell, they've been talking about war crimes trials for those that use chemical weapons. US nukes are unlikely to be used at all.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

yeah but they arent THAT capable. only bush can authorize nuking, and he wont.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:Shrubby is a none-issue. What Wolf-no-witz, Chainy, and Rumpsfelt want is much more the issue. They're all rabid jingoist nationalists.
And you're a leftist idiot. Cheney and Rumsfeld might be hawks but they certainly aren't retarded and neither is Bush. They know that if we use nukes it'd be a no win situation for us.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Enlightenment wrote:Shrubby is a none-issue. What Wolf-no-witz, Chainy, and Rumpsfelt want is much more the issue. They're all rabid jingoist nationalists.
So, have you ever had anything nice to say about them, or, for that matter, not twisted their names into some derogatory new meaning? :roll:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Saddam: That he'll give the order, near 100%. That it'll actually be followed, maybe closer to 60%.

Bush: Deterrence demands some kind of retaliatory strike, and now we pay the price for not having any significant useful supplies of chemical weapons. We can't blow the dams on the Euphrates like we would have in '91, either. Chance for a retaliatory tactical nuclear strike against the unit which launched the weapon, or another division if that one is too close to a populated area: 75% or higher. A full city-buster strike, 0%. Not a chance in hell no matter how many Coalition troops are killed.

Israel: If they're hit with chemical weapons, probably a 50-50 shot they'll retaliate with nukes. Otherwise, we talk them out of it by promising to turn the commanders and missile crews over to them instead of the Hague.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

60% to 80% for Iraq using chemical.

0%-5%. There's no point to use nukes if you can just drop a MOAB on their heads. Gets the job done, without the radiation.

0%-10% No one wants to start that ball rolling. Israel can be a little jumpy, and they may target, but I think they'll back down.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Enlightenment wrote:
kojikun wrote:enlightenment, i doubt bush is that stupid. 99%? i mean cmon, thats pretty much guaranteed and while we reserved the right to do so, it would kill local support in iraq.
Shrubby is a none-issue. What Wolf-no-witz, Chainy, and Rumpsfelt want is much more the issue. They're all rabid jingoist nationalists.

Enlightenment, nukes are NEVER on the table as retaliation weapon! If Iraq chems our troops and civilians in Iraq he will only push thoes on the fence into our camp and will silence his pseudo-supporters. To retaliate with nukes is like spanking your dog with a hammer for pissing on the rug!

Nuclear weapons exist as a strategic deterrant, not as a theater level tactical weapon. Their use if fraught with so much peril that to actually use them in an offensive manner is practically unthinkable!
BotM
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Enlightenment wrote:
Why don't you get a "Leftist Anti-American BS Spewer" title?

<edit: added quotations>
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

35%-50% For Saddam using chemical.

0%-1% Bush using Nukes.

85-95% Israelis nuking Iraq.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Akm72
Padawan Learner

Post by Akm72 »

Bush has no reason to use nukes, he can use the politically correct MOAB instead - similar overpressure effects to a tac nuke, none of the nasty radiation.
"Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
- Dan Barker
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

saddam using chemical weapons 50-75% and thats a conservative number. if he feels his back is to the wall and it is his only means of survival,

bush using tacnukes in replyReally, <5%. Bush41 said after the last Gulf War that the implied nuke threat was a bluff. I don't see Bush43 making that mistake. Besides, France said , if Iraq uses any WMD, they would join the war effort... :roll:

isreal using nukes in replysadly, near 100% if they are attacked with bio-chem first. That is what would start WWIII.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

saddam using chemical weapons: If backed into a corner, near 100%
bush using tacnukes in reply: Deterrance demands 100%
isreal using nukes in reply: If hit with CBW agents, depends on the US's skill at persuading them not to.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

saddam using chemicals: 0% because he has none and he's not an idiot. He managed to draw sympathy to Iraq as a victim of agression: he's not an idiot to do such things. Possibly he'll go to France and try to come up with political protests and legal actions.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Stas Bush wrote:saddam using chemicals: 0% because he has none and he's not an idiot. He managed to draw sympathy to Iraq as a victim of agression: he's not an idiot to do such things. Possibly he'll go to France and try to come up with political protests and legal actions.
if saddam does use chemical weapons, will you publicly announce to evryone here that you are wrong and apologize?
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stas Bush wrote:saddam using chemicals: 0% because he has none and he's not an idiot.
::blink::

Stas, it is strange that Saddam would authorize chemical attacks on troops approaching Baghdad if he had none?
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

phongn, Don't be suprised if you have read his posts.. "head beating on wall"
1. Using Chem weap 40%
2. Tac Nukes 1%
3. Israelis nuking Iraq15%
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Stas Bush wrote:saddam using chemicals: 0% because he has none and he's not an idiot. He managed to draw sympathy to Iraq as a victim of agression: he's not an idiot to do such things. Possibly he'll go to France and try to come up with political protests and legal actions.
Damn Stas...

Do you REALLY have your head that far up your ass?