Harvey Weinstein: fall of Hollywood player they once called ‘God’

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Harvey Weinstein: fall of Hollywood player they once called ‘God’

Post by Solauren »

I can actually understand why allowing testimony in not related to the charges would require a re-trial. (Doesn't mean I like it).

Now, the question is - If those woman that testified (and are now being disallowed) had Weinstein charged in the districts it happened, and he was convicted before the retrial occurred, would they be allowed then?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Solauren wrote: 2024-04-25 07:09pm I can actually understand why allowing testimony in not related to the charges would require a re-trial. (Doesn't mean I like it).

Now, the question is - If those woman that testified (and are now being disallowed) had Weinstein charged in the districts it happened, and he was convicted before the retrial occurred, would they be allowed then?
I know the legal system is slower than pitch but I'm still surprised that it took four years to get to this point.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-04-25 08:01pm
Solauren wrote: 2024-04-25 07:09pm I can actually understand why allowing testimony in not related to the charges would require a re-trial. (Doesn't mean I like it).

I know the legal system is slower than pitch but I'm still surprised that it took four years to get to this point.
Well, he had the LA trial to deal with. It's possible his lawyers said to worry about that over the appeals, to avoid possible conflicting trial dates and the like. (That and milking Weinstein for all the money they can.)

There could be other things going on in the background too, like the lawyers asking for delays to cause judge rotations to ones they knew would be receptive to their arguments.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.