Star Trek: Discovery, Season 3 (Spoilers)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FireNexus
Cookie

Re: Star Trek: Discovery, Season 3 (Spoilers)

Post by FireNexus »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-10 09:55pm Killing Osyrra is all it took to destroy the Emerald Chain. Really ?
The writers seem to really hate the idea of having a plot that continues from one season to the next.
On the other hand, they established pretty firmly that the chain is on the edge of collapse due to a dilithium shortage. And that the federation still has plenty of dilithium reserves, has strong allies in ni’var and probably United Earth, and is on the cusp of establishing a new dilithium monopoly.

Add to this the fact that the chain is a loose association of ruthless mercenaries apparently held together mostly by fear of Osyrra, and it makes sense. Having the chain’s remnants remain recurring minor villains would be sensible. But the chain as a pseudo-state actor and meaningful rival to the federation being over literally as soon as she died is completely fair.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

FireNexus wrote: 2021-01-16 12:07am
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-10 09:55pm Killing Osyrra is all it took to destroy the Emerald Chain. Really ?
The writers seem to really hate the idea of having a plot that continues from one season to the next.
On the other hand, they established pretty firmly that the chain is on the edge of collapse due to a dilithium shortage. And that the federation still has plenty of dilithium reserves, has strong allies in ni’var and probably United Earth, and is on the cusp of establishing a new dilithium monopoly.

Add to this the fact that the chain is a loose association of ruthless mercenaries apparently held together mostly by fear of Osyrra, and it makes sense. Having the chain’s remnants remain recurring minor villains would be sensible. But the chain as a pseudo-state actor and meaningful rival to the federation being over literally as soon as she died is completely fair.
Definitely seems like season 4 will be about re-establishing the Federation. With Osyrra’s death it seems they’re closing the door on the chain. I’m curious to see what they’ll do going forward with the next season.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

tezunegari wrote: 2020-10-29 11:45pm
Darth Lucifer wrote: 2020-10-29 10:47pm Actually, DSC is supposed to be before The Cage. No spoilers, but you'll see what I mean when you get to the episode which firmly establishes this.
Which episode is that?
I don't remember anything "firmly establishing" that Discovery is set before The Cage...
Are you referencing the episode with the crystal?
To my knowledge Discovery is set in 2256-2258. 2 years after the Cage, and 7 before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.
This one:
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

DISCO is set after The Cage (the original TOS Pike episode)
And before The Menagerie (The episode of Star Trek where everyone sits and watches an episode of Star Trek.)
Without going into the specific years, there are at least 2 episodes in S2 where this is established.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So Starfleet introduced (and then ditched) a completely different set of uniforms between 'The Cage' and 'Where no Man has gone before'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Batman wrote: 2021-09-07 10:14pm So Starfleet introduced (and then ditched) a completely different set of uniforms between 'The Cage' and 'Where no Man has gone before'
I think it's at some "co-existing" thingy. Because in an episode of "Short Treks" we see a younger Georgiou wearing the DISCO type uniforms while she was still Lieutenant and serving on another ship. Far earlier than "The Cage".
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote: 2021-09-07 11:54pm
Batman wrote: 2021-09-07 10:14pm So Starfleet introduced (and then ditched) a completely different set of uniforms between 'The Cage' and 'Where no Man has gone before'
I think it's at some "co-existing" thingy. Because in an episode of "Short Treks" we see a younger Georgiou wearing the DISCO type uniforms while she was still Lieutenant and serving on another ship. Far earlier than "The Cage".
Plus, when the Enterrpise turns up they're wearing reimagined TOS uniforms and get teased for their brightness. The deep space exporers get to wear 'the new' uniforms early for some reason/
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah Pike's injury was fairly recent in the TOS episode (Spock or Kirk didn't know about them), meaning that accident happened during the main body of TOS way past when USS Discovery had gone to the Future. Thus there's no conflict with Pike not having the injuries and Cage having had happened.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm only posting now because it took so long for the series to come to disc. It was only at the very end of the season that the discovery crew changed their uniforms to match the rest of the UFP fleet, with coloured panels on the side of the chest in blue/red/yellow. And yeah, I hate the whole "detached nacelles" bullshit, it's just so fucking stupid.

They found a way to extract the dilithium from the planet in the radioactive nebula which the Discovery will pick up from the mining ship after which they will deliver dilithium to "two Federation worlds, five non-Federation worlds and a starbase". They seem to have omitted the need to refine the raw ore into dilithium crystals. The Federation has collapsed from 350 members to just over a tenth of that, the Trills have already rejoined and the Romulans/Vulcans were considering, no mention if the events from STXI (Destruction of Romulus & Vulcan) happened this time round.

Certainly there are plenty of potential races to visit, the total members went up from the 150 that Picard mentioned in First Contact meaning many former races that were in the Federation but still never-before-seen.