D. C. Fontana has died.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

D. C. Fontana has died.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://cbc.ca/news/entertainment/star- ... -1.5384702
D.C. Fontana, a writer and story editor for the original Star Trek television series and later a contributor to Star Trek: The Next Generation and other related projects, has died at age 80.

A statement on the Star Trek website said she died Monday after a brief illness.

Dorothy Catherine Fontana, who used the initials D.C. after struggling to find work in a male-dominated industry, had befriended Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and rose from secretary to story editor for the 1960s show.

Her credits included such episodes as Journey to Babel and Friday's Child, and Leonard Nimoy would praise her for broadening the back story of Mr. Spock's Vulcan culture.

William Shatner, who starred as Capt. James T. Kirk, tweeted that Fontana was a "pioneer" and added that "her work will continue to influence for generations to come."

A native of Sussex, New Jersey, Fontana worked on a wide range of other TV shows, including Bonanza and Ben Casey, along with Star Trek: The Next Generation and the web series Star Trek: New Voyages.

She also wrote the Star Trek novel Vulcan's Glory, about Spock's first mission on the USS Enterprise.

LISTEN: Writers D.C. Fontana and David Gerrold talk to CBC Radio's q about 50 years of Star Trek.
A true legend is gone today. May she rest in peace.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: D. C. Fontana has died.

Post by FaxModem1 »

She brought a lot of the magic of the Star Trek universe with her writing. I'm going to remember her fondly for that.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: D. C. Fontana has died.

Post by Broomstick »

Not just Star Trek, she wrote for a number of TV shows of the era, as well as her own fiction, with a strong presence on TV SF. Credits include not only the original Star Trek but also the animated series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and the fan production Star Trek: New Voyages. Outside of Star Trek she wrote for The Lieutenant, Genesis II, The Fantastic Journey, The Waltons, Logan's Run, The Streets of San Francisco, The Six Million Dollar Man, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Babylon 5... You know what, I'm not retyping the list already on Wikipedia. It's impressive.

Of course, she used "DC Fontana" often instead of "Dorothy Fontana", as well as the occasional male alias because there was a certainly a bias in those days. She had an impressive career.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice