Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

Post by Redleader34 »

Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

Post by FaxModem1 »

Is it bad that I wouldn't mind just watching an entire show about Picard making wine?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-05-23 01:06pm Is it bad that I wouldn't mind just watching an entire show about Picard making wine?
not really, but I find the line about rescue intresting, was Picard maybe involved in rescuing RSE survivors as a Starfleet admiral.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I figured that too, which suggests the narrator is Romulan.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Themightytom wrote: 2019-05-23 02:29pm I figured that too, which suggests the narrator is Romulan.
That it seems, there seems to be a minor timeline issue though.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Has a release date been announced already ?
Btw, I want one of those wine bottles for my shelf :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Raesene wrote: 2019-05-23 04:03pm Has a release date been announced already ?
Btw, I want one of those wine bottles for my shelf :-)
Late 2019 from what I've heard.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Neato. Though it looks like Picard maybe made some sort of mistake and retired. Prepare for the fanboys to scream "character assassination!"
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-05-23 02:35pm
Themightytom wrote: 2019-05-23 02:29pm I figured that too, which suggests the narrator is Romulan.
What would that be?
The early reference to the series being 20 years after Nemesis?
And if the teaser really means the destruction of Romulus the show is in 2402?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-05-23 08:17pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-05-23 02:35pm
What would that be?
The early reference to the series being 20 years after Nemesis?
And if the teaser really means the destruction of Romulus the show is in 2402?
early info said the show is set 2398 (4 years earlier)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-05-23 04:49pm Neato. Though it looks like Picard maybe made some sort of mistake and retired. Prepare for the fanboys to scream "character assassination!"
fanboys would scream "character assasination" no matter what so that's hardly surprising, that said I like the fact that picard is depicted as a flawed, so there's growth in the character, even if that growth is getting back to the man he was in his prime.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Maybe we can wait for people to bitch before going on about people bitching?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

And if the Picard we get is JJverse quality, and a coward who quit Starfleet over a tragedy more mundane than his torture in Chains of Command or transformation into Locutus? Fans should just accept it because by default they are wrong?

Did any of you even read the interview with Kurtzman about this show? It will be an accidental miracle if anything about this show is true to any aspect of TNG other than the most superficial production designs.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Bob the Gunslinger

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-05-24 07:29am Maybe we can wait for people to bitch before going on about people bitching?
There. I got your back. :wink:

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Does it double down on a narrative entry that has a supernova destroying another star's planet in the time span between Nemisis and nuTrek? We should not reward this behavior if this series doesn't retcon this stupidity.

Picard on his vineyard does = cool.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2019-05-24 12:47pm And if the Picard we get is JJverse quality, and a coward who quit Starfleet over a tragedy more mundane than his torture in Chains of Command or transformation into Locutus? Fans should just accept it because by default they are wrong?
Why does how mundane a tragedy is matter ?

Scale and who fucked up seems more important. If we are talking the destruction of Romulus, isn't that bigger than anything else Picard has had to deal with the aftermath of ?

If we are talking about a failure of Starfleet, that could easily shake Picard more than anything the Cardassians or the Borg did to him because he started with a much higher opinion of Starfleet.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, I'm in agreement here. Picard retiring as an admiral because he becomes disillusioned with Starfleet after Starfleet leadership disappoints him could be narratively satisfying. It's also not him showing weakness in comparison to being tortured, but him choosing to not support something that goes against his character.

It could be that Picard rescued a civilization, and Starfleet chose to not support them due to politics, or he found corruption, and was told from the top down to let it be, or Picard pulled off an utter feat of heroics, then saw it rendered meaningless because of the Federation President, or any other choice like that. We just don't know where they're going to take the story.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Patroklos wrote: 2019-05-24 09:56pm Does it double down on a narrative entry that has a supernova destroying another star's planet in the time span between Nemisis and nuTrek? We should not reward this behavior if this series doesn't retcon this stupidity.
Of all the terrible science in Star Trek, why does this one anger you so much ?
But the narrator also says "your faith in us". Suggesting Federation. Maybe the remains of the Romulans joined the Federation.

But did the rescue armada become a conquering force ?
That's the kind of thing that could shake Picard's faith in the Federation. Even if the conquered Romulans are treated like any other Federation citizens.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

We have precisely no idea that this involves the destruction of Romulus. It says he led the greatest rescue armada in Starfleet history, and that for some reason he retired as an Admiral. We don't even know if those two things are connected.

I say wait for more than a teaser trailer before we start bitching about "not rewarding this behaviour." Jesus. It's a teaser trailer, not a whole-plot outline. Calm the fuck down.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bob the Gunslinger

Since Kurtzman is involved, it is more unreasonable to assume this will be a well-handled story with nuances rather than a Grimdark, nBSG-alike mess. I really can't see where you guys are getting any positive energy for this after Discovery. And why would anyone want a Star Trek story about corrupt, failing Starfleet? Why not watch a non franchise show that does it better without retroactively harming a good series that finished strong (until the movies came out)? Does every show about a bright,mhopeful future really need to be taken down a peg to prove there are no happy endings?

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'm hopeful because Stewart is involved as more than just an actor, and I trust him not to fuck up his own character.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bob the Gunslinger

He was involved in Nemesis, too. Thank him for the buggy scene.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Honestly compared to the rest of Nemesis I can give him a pass on the buggy scene.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2019-05-25 10:39am Since Kurtzman is involved, it is more unreasonable to assume this will be a well-handled story with nuances rather than a Grimdark, nBSG-alike mess. I really can't see where you guys are getting any positive energy for this after Discovery. And why would anyone want a Star Trek story about corrupt, failing Starfleet? Why not watch a non franchise show that does it better without retroactively harming a good series that finished strong (until the movies came out)? Does every show about a bright,mhopeful future really need to be taken down a peg to prove there are no happy endings?
Discovery season 2 was an improvement on season 1. At least, some individual episodes were, the overall plot sucked. So I've got hope for them to do better. Especially with Stewart's involvement.

As for a corrupt, failing Starfleet, that's not what I was suggesting (though I can see how I gave the wrong impression). I'm more thinking one that made one mistake that hit Picard very hard. Which could be as messy as using the Prime Directive as a reason to look the other way while the remains of the Tal Shiar went about silencing anyone too vocal about opposing Federation membership.

Even then, that was more as examples of things that could easily shake Picard's faith in Starfleet far more than anything the Cardassians or Borg did. I'm not sure if I want those plot points.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2019-05-25 11:58am He was involved in Nemesis, too. Thank him for the buggy scene.
I will not thank him for the buggy scene, and I just remembered how much weed he seems to smoke around Seth McFarlane, so I guess I am little worried now.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok