Discworld Reading Chart

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Discworld Reading Chart

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So I made this for a friend of mine who is just getting into the Discworld Books.
It is done largely by my own impressions of the series in terms of when things happened and curious what some of the other Discworld fans think.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: Discworld Reading Chart

Post by HMS Sophia »

It looks pretty good to me...
Except don't start with the first two books. Unless this person is already into discworld...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Did you leave out Small Gods or is it that it's too early for my eyes to focus?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote:Did you leave out Small Gods or is it that it's too early for my eyes to focus?
I honestly have no idea where to put it. We know it ends 100years "in the future" But no idea where to start it.
It must be early since all other Ominian references have the religion post Vorbis.

And, yeah people shouldn't start with the first two books, but was trying to make a proper "timeline" of the books.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Thief Of Time and Night Watch should be closer together. The end of Thief of Time is concurrent with the beginning of Night Watch.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Did you leave out Small Gods or is it that it's too early for my eyes to focus?
I honestly have no idea where to put it. We know it ends 100years "in the future" But no idea where to start it.
It must be early since all other Ominian references have the religion post Vorbis.

And, yeah people shouldn't start with the first two books, but was trying to make a proper "timeline" of the books.
Well it's a bit standalone book a bit farther back in the past. Djelibeybi still managed to send a small naval force against the
Omnians, while in Pyramids they are practically bankrupt. The ruling family still owes the cost of the last two (or maybe three?) pyramids to the pyramid builders and it's more insular politically.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Since it ends 100 years "In the future" It has often been said to happen very far in the past, up to 50 years or more before the events of TCOM.

The only problem is that 'Didactylus' the philosopher is in the story, and if I recall he shows up in another book alive and well. In Small Gods he is already quite old, so unless it is someone else it cant be too far in the past.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The slight problem with chronically trying to place all the Discworld books is that time travel messes it up.

Seriously, the author somewhat admitted that he likes to play with the timeline book-by-book. Remember Thief of Time?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Small Gods, for convenience, could put roughly alongside Pyramids and it feels a fairly long time before the established timeline.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Small Gods is very definitely in the past in terms of the Watch books at least, and the later witch books, so you can assume that the Tiffany Aching books are also after Small Gods.

But as said, it's kind of difficult to produce a timeline. Beyond Night Watch happening pretty much directly after Thief of Time (or partly at the same time, as the shattering in Thief of Time is what sends Vimes into the past) and series being in rough chronological order, in terms of relations you're in trouble, because there isn't much crossover beyond out of context cameos
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Small Gods is very definitely in the past in terms of the Watch books at least, and the later witch books, so you can assume that the Tiffany Aching books are also after Small Gods.

But as said, it's kind of difficult to produce a timeline. Beyond Night Watch happening pretty much directly after Thief of Time (or partly at the same time, as the shattering in Thief of Time is what sends Vimes into the past) and series being in rough chronological order, in terms of relations you're in trouble, because there isn't much crossover beyond out of context cameos
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The point of Theif of Time is that the past has been broken and put back together several times over, and not always in the right order and therefore a coherent timeline of the Discworld is probably impossible to construct.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Vendetta wrote:The point of Theif of Time is that the past has been broken and put back together several times over, and not always in the right order and therefore a coherent timeline of the Discworld is probably impossible to construct.
True... And that was largely to account for various inconsistencies with Pratchetts earlier books where dates did not seem to make sense. That said you can still do a "resonable" timeline/Reading guide using what dates do make sense and of course when Pratchett wrote the books as well.

I'll do a redo that has "Small Gods" right before "Pyramids" Since the nation at the time of Pyramids could not have possibly fielded the navy it sent after Omnia in "Small Gods"
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hey, aside from reaching the opening chapter of "Guards! Guards!" I started with TCOM.... :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ok I just had one of those WTF moments from looking at time on the Discworld.
Suan Sto Helit is 16 as of "Soul Music"
In "Hogfarther" she feels all grown and I always assumed she was 30 or something.
How much time Passes between Soul Music and Hog Father? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem like 10 years or more.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok I just had one of those WTF moments from looking at time on the Discworld.
In "Hogfarther" she feels all grown and I always assumed she was 30 or something.
How much time Passes between Soul Music and Hog Father? Because it sure as hell doesn't seem like 10 years or more.
Try Rincewind/Ridicully.They're positively ancient, and so is Vetenari.

To be honest, i think it is possible to squeeze in Susan as being in her 20s. A very young governess but still plausible.

Also, hasn't time moved on far enough that there has been 3 different Centuries? Century of the Fruitbat, Century of the Rat or etc.......
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I always saw it as Susan being 16 in Soul Music, somewhere between 20-25 in Hogfather, and approaching 30 in Thief of Time. Though perhaps compressed as much as four year gaps, that is, 16-20-24.

Of course, one wonders what the Duchess of Sto Helit is doing as a governess and schoolteacher, but she might have abdicated, or her parents might have held only a life peerage.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:

I read the books in chronological order, and liked them.

Of course, I was passingly familiar with many of the things Pratchett was parodying, including Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser- how's that for obscure?

Also, Small Gods takes place a hundred years or so before the 'main chronology;' the Omnian religion as expounded by Brutha is the one that gets seen elsewhere. Chronologically it's first... and come to think of it, it's not that bad a start for reading the series- it's got some philosophical depth, it's a standalone... hmm.
Minischoles wrote:Small Gods is very definitely in the past in terms of the Watch books at least, and the later witch books, so you can assume that the Tiffany Aching books are also after Small Gods.

...Is that shattering causing the events of Night Watch canon? I'd never heard that.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok I just had one of those WTF moments from looking at time on the Discworld.
Susan is an extremely mature young lady- she could probably do a convincing 30 at 23, if she wanted to.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Is that shattering causing the events of Night Watch canon? I'd never heard that.
Yes, the storm that hits Vimes, is the same storm that causes the Clock to stop time.
- James Nicoll
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Personally I'd say Unseen Academicals would be a better fit in the grey/unconnected column. It maybe set in the university but the main character's aren't wizards and it doesn't have the same feel as the previous wizard books.

Maybe connect it to both.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!