Discovery question

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Discovery question

Post by WhiteLion »

In Star Trek Discovery they really thought outside the box by creating the spore engine. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then I saw his use of war, when they performed jumps in rapid succession around the enemy ship. It was almost as if he were teleporting. On a tactical level it is an enormous advantage, it means appearing and launching a torpedo and disappearing before being attacked, and reappearing at another point and attacking again, and so on until the destruction of the ship ... or of the connected doctor's nervous system to drive a spore :)

However nice thought tactic, what do you think?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Discovery question

Post by Lord Revan »

There's some major issues with mycelial drive. "slowly kills the navigator" or "might in end up in a different time or universe" is a rather major problem wouldn't you say so.

Battle of Pahvo nearly killed Stamets thru exessive stress from doing so many jumps.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

Yes you are right, and you agree with me. It is an imperfect technology, not usable in series but only as a unique case to make Discovery more OP
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-27 07:33pm Yes you are right, and you agree with me. It is an imperfect technology, not usable in series but only as a unique case to make Discovery more OP
Yes if by Discovery you mean the Starship USS Discovery (NCC-1031) and even then it is of very, very limited use, it isn't just imperfect, it's impractical for long time use.

The stress of long term use burns out the navigators and without a proper navigator you can't promise you'll end where and when you want, which is a rather major issue especially if there's options.

EDIT:If there hadn't been a major war they were loosing badly, I doubt the Federation would have OKed the use of mycelial drive even at testing purposes.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

Today's navigators no longer have the fiber of the past, they fall like flies after a few jumps :)

Seriously, yes, it's true, it's a nice find to make the series interesting, but it's too risky for a ship and navigator.