Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

Post by Galvatron »

If the lore is respected, Vader might actually be pissed that Reva kidnapped Leia. The Grand Inquisitor wasn't happy about it either.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I don't believe that Reva intentionally let Obi-Wan escape. But, she was still smart enough to plan the tracker just in case.
Gandalf wrote: 2022-06-08 04:17amSo why was the Jedi youngling in the not quite carbonite? I get the emotional point they were trying to hit, but it seemed odd.
That dead kid could be a useful prop when they give another force sensitive kid the 'join us or die' speech.
I wonder what will happen when he eventually meets Leia?
It's possible that they don't meet. We only have two episodes left and Vader's only interest in Leia is as bait. Once Obi-Wan gets her home and escapes, Vader should lose interest in her.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-08 02:53pm I don't believe that Reva intentionally let Obi-Wan escape. But, she was still smart enough to plan the tracker just in case.
For myself, it makes more sense that she did let him escape. For one, it explains why those two airspeeders were able to approach the tower unnoticed. For another, it ties in to ANH, when Leia was the first to realise that Tarkin let the Millennium Falcon escape. She had been hit with that trick before.

That's clever writing by current Star Wars standards.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Honestly some of the worst Star Wars media I've ever seen. The first episode was insulting, but it didn't drive me away like the Mandalorian did for some reason so I kept watching. Now I intend to keep watching, just so I don't have friends telling me "oh it gets better, you're just a curmudgeon" for the rest of time.

Jesus Christ. Did any of the writers ever watch Star Wars? This looks like what you would do if you wanted to write a bad spinoff TV show and you thought the prequels were genuinely good movies. It feels like one of those direct-to-video Disney sequels, but where they hold up the Phantom fucking Menace as the work of brilliant writers beyond their skill.

It's a weird choice from the very start to open with a recap of some of the worst movies ever made. Did they really want to remind everyone of how terrible Revenge of the Sith was, thinking that would put us in a good mood? Let's just broadcast terrible writing, directing, set design, acting, and lighting, why don't we? Maybe they thought it would make the audience judge the show more favorably, being reminded of how much worse it could be.

The first episode gave up REALLY quick on the whole idea of Kenobi being isolated and in hiding. That no-name Jedi really took three sentences to convince him to give up his secret identity. No big scene or nothing, just some punk-ass Jedi schmuck. And why is Kenobi required to rescue Leia? When Bail asks him, he offers several very good options that the show just does not address at all. Bail represents an entire planet, he REALLY can't afford the security to go rescue his daughter? Why would he be willing to risk Kenobi's secret over something he has the resources to solve? He didn't know she had been taken by an Inquisitor, the riffraff he was facing are EASILY within the skillset of men he can call on. Furthermore, Kenobi's whole relationship with Leia is calling MORE attention to the absurdity of his line in TESB: "That boy is our last hope." It was already made stupid since he was present at Leia's birth, but the show is calling attention to something it should have been trying to divert attention FROM.

You know what, that call to action was stupid enough for a second paragraph. Bail Organa is an Imperial Senator. He is high profile, AND he's a public muckraker in opposition to the Emperor. He MUST be watched, and there is no way he doesn't know that. Personally travelling to a planet he has NO legitimate business on, then going straight to the hideout of possibly the most wanted man in the Galaxy, is an absurd risk to both of them. If Kenobi is found out while rescuing Leia, they both die. I don't know how that hasn't happened yet, honestly; the fact that Kenobi has now been found in the guardianship of Leia MUST be enough evidence for the Empire to slot Bail. Or at least go rape his mind until he reveals Kenobi's home base, probably revealing Luke in the process. This isn't even the only evidence of terrible hiding, just the most prominent. How the fuck have these people been hidden for ten years? How the fuck do they stay hidden for another ten?

The shitty thing is that I haven't even gotten to the really bad shit and this post is already longer than I would bother to read.

Aliens. Did everyone forget that the Empire hates aliens? Is it not explicitly stated that the Empire is super duper racist and puts humans first, in addition to it being heavily implied that the Empire is the embodiment of the Third Reich in space? Why in the FUCK is every Inquisitor an alien or a human minority, or an alien played by a human minority? (Minority meaning in America, not the world). I know the Empire doesn't care about human races, but that's just a complaint regarding casting. Obi-Wan and nameless Jedi schmuck are white humans. Kumail Nanjiani is at least a brown Jedi, but it's quickly revealed that he's running a scam. It's a little ridiculous. To be clear, there are two separate problems: questionable casting choices in making every person of color a bad guy or morally questionable; and minimizing the racism of the Empire, thereby minimizing the story of struggle against a racist state.

They could have made a good point about racist autocracies, of course. That they often don't believe the bullshit they peddle, it's just to acquire power. Obviously not true in the case of the Third Reich, but I would give Kenobi a pass there if they had said something profound. But of course they didn't. If the Inquisitors were some internal branch of the Empire, kept secret from the public, then they could be aliens without undermining Human High Culture. But they are very obviously well known to EVERYONE in the Galaxy, since they are instantly recognized on Tatooine. Similarly, there could have been a profound moment with the alien mole-person on the mining world; he is obviously pro-Imperial, which could have been portrayed as the pro-Nazi Norwegians, French, Ukrainians, Romanians, and the rest: a desperate sapient who's only option is to give up and try to make it hurt less. But no, he just seems to be friendly, and the Imperials like him too.

Now the meat. What the fuck is wrong with Kenobi's character? He is NOTHING like the real Kenobi from the OT. He's a plausible development of PT Kenobi, if you assume all his Jedi wisdom and training REALLY didn't help him with his trauma, but that isn't the baseline they should be developing off of. The character of Kenobi is Sir Alec Guinness first, Ewan McGregor second, but it looks like Ewan got a swelled head and decided his Kenobi is the real one. He is continually a total bitch to Leia, no HINT of wisdom and serenity you might expect from a Jedi Master. And when he sees Vader? He fucking RUNS? Fear is the essence of the DARK SIDE, God damn it! Of course, he NEEDS to run, because surviving to train the next generation of Jedi is far more important than killing Darth Vader, but Jesus did they execute it poorly. He was obviously terrified of meeting Vader. The PTSD moments when he feels Vader's presence were excellent, but the anticlimactic series of not-quite-fights were nauseating. And the fight itself! What a character death for Kenobi. I thought HE was the master when they last met? He was tossed around like a punk on the sidelines. That's the kind of beat-down I would expect Kenobi or Vader to deal to one of the Inquisitors, not the climactic clash between two supreme masters of the Force.

There are a hundred more little things, but I'm out of time. Whoever wrote this should be put on basic income and isolated from anything creative ever again. Please tell me someone else on this board hates it too.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I've not seen it yet, but well it's an Obi-Wan show starring the prequel guy, how was it ever not going to extensively reference and tie into the prequels?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-06-08 05:10pm I've not seen it yet, but well it's an Obi-Wan show starring the prequel guy, how was it ever not going to extensively reference and tie into the prequels?
Indeed. From what I can tell about where it's going, it's bridging the gap between Obi-Wan as a broken man going into hiding, and his more upbeat persona in ANH.

Like a lot of Jedi raised in their little church, he believed in their whole thing, right up until their Force Jesus killed them all and started a new dark age. I do wonder if we'll see a bit where Obi-Wan mentally splits the personae of Anakin and Vader, thus making it all easier to handle.

How Obi-Wan Got His Groove Back.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-06-08 05:10pm I've not seen it yet, but well it's an Obi-Wan show starring the prequel guy, how was it ever not going to extensively reference and tie into the prequels?
Your point is taken, but it certainly isn't airtight. The Hobbit features Ian McKellen and Orlando Bloom, but it's shit compared to LOTR. Speaking of the movies, not the books. The Sequel Trilogy stars Han, Luke, and Leia, and has no hint of the originals stylistically. Was it really so silly to hope a real artist might have taken the reins? That McGregor might show a little humility?
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

--Mountain

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-08 03:10pm There are a hundred more little things, but I'm out of time. Whoever wrote this should be put on basic income and isolated from anything creative ever again. Please tell me someone else on this board hates it too.
I may not hate it as much as you do since my enthusiasm for Star Wars has never really recovered since 1999, but I couldn't disagree with a single thing you said.

In fact, I want to read about the "hundred more little things." There must be something we'd disagree on. :lol:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-06-08 03:05pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-08 02:53pm I don't believe that Reva intentionally let Obi-Wan escape. But, she was still smart enough to plan the tracker just in case.
For myself, it makes more sense that she did let him escape. For one, it explains why those two airspeeders were able to approach the tower unnoticed. For another, it ties in to ANH, when Leia was the first to realise that Tarkin let the Millennium Falcon escape. She had been hit with that trick before.

They had already explained that the base had no shield, relying instead on people being too scared to dare attack it. There was no sign of any weapons capable of shooting down attackers, nor anyone ordering hidden guns to hold fire. The officer who was suspicious of Durith because it wasn't her sector was scared into doing nothing. Basically, security was based on fear instead of competence.

Reva only suspected that Durith was lying to her and the tracker must have been placed before that distraction. Nothing to support the idea of Obi-Wan escaping being the primary plan.

Also, had everything gone to plan, the tracker would have been easy to return to storage. So planting it had minimal cost.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-08 03:10pm Honestly some of the worst Star Wars media I've ever seen. The first episode was insulting, but it didn't drive me away like the Mandalorian did for some reason so I kept watching. Now I intend to keep watching, just so I don't have friends telling me "oh it gets better, you're just a curmudgeon" for the rest of time.

Jesus Christ. Did any of the writers ever watch Star Wars? This looks like what you would do if you wanted to write a bad spinoff TV show and you thought the prequels were genuinely good movies. It feels like one of those direct-to-video Disney sequels, but where they hold up the Phantom fucking Menace as the work of brilliant writers beyond their skill.

It's a weird choice from the very start to open with a recap of some of the worst movies ever made. Did they really want to remind everyone of how terrible Revenge of the Sith was, thinking that would put us in a good mood? Let's just broadcast terrible writing, directing, set design, acting, and lighting, why don't we? Maybe they thought it would make the audience judge the show more favorably, being reminded of how much worse it could be.

The first episode gave up REALLY quick on the whole idea of Kenobi being isolated and in hiding. That no-name Jedi really took three sentences to convince him to give up his secret identity. No big scene or nothing, just some punk-ass Jedi schmuck. And why is Kenobi required to rescue Leia? When Bail asks him, he offers several very good options that the show just does not address at all. Bail represents an entire planet, he REALLY can't afford the security to go rescue his daughter? Why would he be willing to risk Kenobi's secret over something he has the resources to solve? He didn't know she had been taken by an Inquisitor, the riffraff he was facing are EASILY within the skillset of men he can call on. Furthermore, Kenobi's whole relationship with Leia is calling MORE attention to the absurdity of his line in TESB: "That boy is our last hope." It was already made stupid since he was present at Leia's birth, but the show is calling attention to something it should have been trying to divert attention FROM.

You know what, that call to action was stupid enough for a second paragraph. Bail Organa is an Imperial Senator. He is high profile, AND he's a public muckraker in opposition to the Emperor. He MUST be watched, and there is no way he doesn't know that. Personally travelling to a planet he has NO legitimate business on, then going straight to the hideout of possibly the most wanted man in the Galaxy, is an absurd risk to both of them. If Kenobi is found out while rescuing Leia, they both die. I don't know how that hasn't happened yet, honestly; the fact that Kenobi has now been found in the guardianship of Leia MUST be enough evidence for the Empire to slot Bail. Or at least go rape his mind until he reveals Kenobi's home base, probably revealing Luke in the process. This isn't even the only evidence of terrible hiding, just the most prominent. How the fuck have these people been hidden for ten years? How the fuck do they stay hidden for another ten?

The shitty thing is that I haven't even gotten to the really bad shit and this post is already longer than I would bother to read.

Aliens. Did everyone forget that the Empire hates aliens? Is it not explicitly stated that the Empire is super duper racist and puts humans first, in addition to it being heavily implied that the Empire is the embodiment of the Third Reich in space? Why in the FUCK is every Inquisitor an alien or a human minority, or an alien played by a human minority? (Minority meaning in America, not the world). I know the Empire doesn't care about human races, but that's just a complaint regarding casting. Obi-Wan and nameless Jedi schmuck are white humans. Kumail Nanjiani is at least a brown Jedi, but it's quickly revealed that he's running a scam. It's a little ridiculous. To be clear, there are two separate problems: questionable casting choices in making every person of color a bad guy or morally questionable; and minimizing the racism of the Empire, thereby minimizing the story of struggle against a racist state.

They could have made a good point about racist autocracies, of course. That they often don't believe the bullshit they peddle, it's just to acquire power. Obviously not true in the case of the Third Reich, but I would give Kenobi a pass there if they had said something profound. But of course they didn't. If the Inquisitors were some internal branch of the Empire, kept secret from the public, then they could be aliens without undermining Human High Culture. But they are very obviously well known to EVERYONE in the Galaxy, since they are instantly recognized on Tatooine. Similarly, there could have been a profound moment with the alien mole-person on the mining world; he is obviously pro-Imperial, which could have been portrayed as the pro-Nazi Norwegians, French, Ukrainians, Romanians, and the rest: a desperate sapient who's only option is to give up and try to make it hurt less. But no, he just seems to be friendly, and the Imperials like him too.

Now the meat. What the fuck is wrong with Kenobi's character? He is NOTHING like the real Kenobi from the OT. He's a plausible development of PT Kenobi, if you assume all his Jedi wisdom and training REALLY didn't help him with his trauma, but that isn't the baseline they should be developing off of. The character of Kenobi is Sir Alec Guinness first, Ewan McGregor second, but it looks like Ewan got a swelled head and decided his Kenobi is the real one. He is continually a total bitch to Leia, no HINT of wisdom and serenity you might expect from a Jedi Master. And when he sees Vader? He fucking RUNS? Fear is the essence of the DARK SIDE, God damn it! Of course, he NEEDS to run, because surviving to train the next generation of Jedi is far more important than killing Darth Vader, but Jesus did they execute it poorly. He was obviously terrified of meeting Vader. The PTSD moments when he feels Vader's presence were excellent, but the anticlimactic series of not-quite-fights were nauseating. And the fight itself! What a character death for Kenobi. I thought HE was the master when they last met? He was tossed around like a punk on the sidelines. That's the kind of beat-down I would expect Kenobi or Vader to deal to one of the Inquisitors, not the climactic clash between two supreme masters of the Force.

There are a hundred more little things, but I'm out of time. Whoever wrote this should be put on basic income and isolated from anything creative ever again. Please tell me someone else on this board hates it too.
Meh. A boomer rant.

Too bad the kids grew up enjoying the prequels and basically ignores what people like you tried to enforce what Star Wars fans should or should not like.

It's a good thing voices like yours is becoming a minority now with time. Your kind of attitude got us the Star Wars sequels.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

ray245 wrote: 2022-06-09 04:38am Meh. A boomer rant.

Too bad the kids grew up enjoying the prequels and basically ignores what people like you tried to enforce what Star Wars fans should or should not like.

It's a good thing voices like yours is becoming a minority now with time. Your kind of attitude got us the Star Wars sequels.
Wait. What?

I'm twenty one. I was born after Phantom Menace. I DID grow up with the prequels, I used to LOVE Revenge of the Sith. But they are as close to objectively bad storytelling as you can get, and so I hate them now. Not for ruining Star Wars, but because they are bad movies.

What about that thinking brought us the sequels? The problem has been the same for both trilogies, people with no creativity and no respect for consumers thought they knew what good Star Wars, or good storytelling, should be. The sequels wouldn't have been good any way you slice it, because the wrong people were in charge. It ended up being nothing but derivative nonsense that religiously aped the appearance of the originals while containing none of what made them actually good, but if the reaction to the prequels had been good, then it would have been some other heartless mush with no feeling whatsoever.

Rogue One was how it's done. Same with 2003 Clone Wars, and little bits of 2008 Clone Wars if you isolate them from context. Because actually creative people were allowed to run free and tell a story, not write the script calculated to wring the most money from our pockets.

Have you got any actual quarrels with things I said? Or just a handwave and dismissal as the mad ravings of an entitled fan from another time?
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-09 12:38am
I may not hate it as much as you do since my enthusiasm for Star Wars has never really recovered since 1999, but I couldn't disagree with a single thing you said.

In fact, I want to read about the "hundred more little things." There must be something we'd disagree on. :lol:
Lol, I appreciate the ego boost. Well, here's everything else I thought was dumb.

The meat harvesting assembly line Kenobi works in. They show a curious lack of haste, don't you think? It was moderately interesting the first day, but then they come back to the same animal for two more days? No visible relief shift? Wouldn't they have only a little time to harvest meat before it spoils?

When the Inquisitors arrive on Tatooine. This is a scummy backwater, far from the authority of the Empire. Maybe they DON'T all instantly recognize the Inquisitors and bow in fear.

Where was the scum and villainy, for that matter? Where were the gruff types who grudgingly cooperate with Imperials, only when credits are involved?

The timeline was already fucked up by the prequels, but if Darth Vader isn't even the only guy in black armor with a lightsaber and telekinesis, then Admiral Motti's interaction with him is pretty fuckin dumb. I'm okay with Inquisitors, mind you, but they should be a pretty secretive thing. They work in the shadows, and they CERTAINLY aren't famous enough to be instantly recognized on Tatooine. Especially if they're aliens.

Other Jedi schmuck. He was pretty boring. He still dressed like a Jedi. He did not at all seem like the kind of guy to evade a galactic-scale manhunt for ten years. He might have looked tougher or been smarter or SOMETHING.

Why did Kenobi have to be convinced to dig up his lightsabers? The point of his continued existence after ROTS is to train Luke to one day destroy his father and the Empire. Meaning he still needs lightsabers. This gets back to the bigger point, which is that I don't think Kenobi needs any more character arc than he has already had, such as realizing that the galaxy does still need Jedi.

Princess Leia's scenes were a little offensive, honestly. Making absolutely clear that she is royal, and her life is better because of it.

Kumail Nanjiani's character. Is that really the best hustle he can come up with? Pretend to be one of the most wanted men in the galaxy to earn a few credits? Why does he need to pretend to use telekinesis and mind tricks, couldn't he just tell people he has an inside guy and sell passage the regular way? The kid he works with just needs to say "Jedi" to the wrong guy ONCE, and then they both end up shot or in an Imperial prison without trial. It's like pretending to be a Jew in 1943 Germany; there is no reason to, and it just puts a HUGE target on your head.

Darth Vader's suit-up scene. It was really cool, until they put his helmet on. The mask is a separate piece from the top, but they put it on in one go. Why? It didn't affect the scene at all, it just was a miss on an extremely basic technical detail.

Why did they design ANOTHER Imperial shuttle for the Inquisitors to use? Every Star Wars show and movie is addicted to using the same characters and inventing new equipment, when it should be the other way around. Everything in the OT looks old, but it's hard to see how it GOT old when they invent new shit every six months. Also, the new shuttle design was way more slick and sleek than the regular Imperial Shuttle, the same disease every new model has. Krennic's shuttle in Rogue One was particularly guilty.

Vader doesn't sit down, he just perpetually paces or stands menacingly. And when he sits, he DEFINITELY doesn't sit in huge thrones. I love the concept of his Mustafar palace, but they screwed up with the throne.

The amount of carnage Vader caused walking down the street was a little excessive. I get that he's supposed to be evil, but he's a MEASURED evil. The Inquisitor lady who we're told in the first episode is off her rocker is the one who just randomly slaughters people while walking down the street.

It took Kenobi and Vader a while to detect each other, don't you think? The sensed each other from MILES apart on the Death Star, but when they finally meet, they don't realize until they're a few hundred feet distant.

Quinlan Vos signed his name on the wall of the safe house, as did other Jedi. First, it implies that a HUGE number of Jedi evaded Order 66 and makes one wonder why Yoda and Kenobi spent so much effort on Luke. Couldn't they have rounded up those dozens of already-trained Jedi and attached them to the Rebel Alliance? Might ONE of them have joined the Rebellion before ANH? Second, that's great security, again. All it takes is for that ONE safe house to get busted, and there's a record of every Jedi who went through it. Importance is immediately ratcheted up from "we caught a Jedi here" to "we might catch EVERY Jedi here."

Stupid fight scene between Kenobi and the stormtroopers outside the laser gate. He very obviously reaches for his blaster, and neither of the two troopers shoot him? What were they waiting for? Why did they flinch out of the way when he shot the probe droid? And why is he even good with a blaster at all? I don't think he should have been troubled by a squad of stormtroopers, but there are ways to get him through it while still portraying the stormtroopers as a competent force to be feared.

Three foot tall laser gate, that you could easily go around. It isn't the focus of the episode, but it wouldn't be hard to design it to not be eye-catchingly silly.

Leia waffles between the intelligence of a five-year-old and the wisdom of a Jedi. Obi-Wan really can't convince a ten year old that he isn't hiding anything? But at the same time, she just blabs on and on in public that he has a lightsaber and is a Jedi? Why would he even show her that? She has no need to be privy to that information. She is going to be under close Imperial scrutiny for her entire life, and if at ANY point she lets slip that she was rescued by a man with a lightsaber, she and her whole family die or are imprisoned and mind-raped to give him up.

Why do the Inquisitors know that Anakin and Darth Vader are the same person? Vader himself barely acknowledges that fact, you think he would make sure that his attack dogs know it? The Emperor actively wants to DESTROY the existence of Anakin, so why would HE tell? And why would the story of Anakin and Obi-Wan's clash be common knowledge, either? Or their relationship? The Jedi Order was wiped out, its records destroyed. There is no reason for any Inquisitors to know anything about Anakin.

Not so much a problem, just wishful thinking on my part: I wish we would see Vader or Kenobi thrash one of the Inquisitors. They get built up to be total badasses, then just get destroyed on a whim by a real Jedi or Sith. Like the fight between Ventress and Dooku in Tartakovsky's Clone Wars.

Anyway, this is all the whining I've got. Pretty much all of this would have been acceptable if the rest of the show was good, or if they were spread out over ten episodes instead of just three. But it isn't, so these piss me off even more. Someone argue with me over some of these, I fucking love arguing.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

:lol:

The only thing I might disagree with is the bit about Vader's helmet. TESB showed that it can be lowered onto his head as a single unit.

Did you also notice that he didn't breathe during his "throne" scene?
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Just watched the fourth episode. The least shitty, I think. I liked that the tracking device was hidden in the droid, that was clever. Did we see any Jedi we're supposed to recognize in the tombs? As others pointed out, it was a little weird to get the focus on the youngling that we don't recognize. We know the Empire killed younglings already. Doesn't have much impact anymore.

The interrogation scene was cringe. Reva cannot act worth shit. That is absolutely not how you interrogate a ten-year-old, ESPECIALLY when the whole point is to sneak a tracking device into her droid and then let her go.

Also, shouldn't this be the end of the Organas? They have now been proven to have some way to contact Obi-Wan. When he inevitably escapes danger and returns to Tatooine, won't they just go after Bail, fuck him up, and know that Kenobi is on Tatooine? Won't he be executed for having close contact with the most wanted Jedi in the galaxy? The Empire doesn't know to ask him about Luke, but it isn't a leap for them to ask why Kenobi went to Tatooine, and Bail knows Luke is involved. The whole thing is compromised, because Bail showed that he could contact Kenobi by involving him with Leia in the first place.
Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-06-04 06:23pm Watching it. Enjoying it on the whole.

I actually liked Rupert Friend's portrayal of the Grand Inquisitor; even if some on Youtube hate it seemingly on principle. Copying the Rebels version was always going to be hard, bearing in mind the art style. And trying to impersonate Jason Isaacs risked sounding fake. Far better to do his own rendition, and be judged on that. Though I do wonder what's going to come of Reva having seemingly killed him.
The Grand Inquisitor was cool. Hopefully he actually is dead and Rebels has been retconned a little, because I can't think of a reason he would be alive and not killing Reva.

Unless the point gets made that inquisitors killing each other is just part of the job description and is completely acceptable, of course. That would honestly be reasonable. I thought Fifth Brother was going to kill her when the T-47s blasted out of the hangar.

On the whole, they're treating Kenobi without enough reverence in-universe. He is one of only two surviving council masters. He is Vader's teacher and nemesis, and the only man Vader probably truly fears. Allowing your quarry to escape to bring down the bigger cell is generally a smart move, but I think Kenobi is just about the most valuable prey in the galaxy. Expensive bait.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I was expecting more hate for this episode. The other reviews I've seen have been absolutely scorching.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-09 10:38pm On the whole, they're treating Kenobi without enough reverence in-universe. He is one of only two surviving council masters. He is Vader's teacher and nemesis, and the only man Vader probably truly fears. Allowing your quarry to escape to bring down the bigger cell is generally a smart move, but I think Kenobi is just about the most valuable prey in the galaxy. Expensive bait.
Owing to seemingly every time the Empire does everything, overconfidence seems to be a factor. They probably don't have the best hiring and promotions regulations.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-09 10:38pmThe Grand Inquisitor was cool. Hopefully he actually is dead and Rebels has been retconned a little, because I can't think of a reason he would be alive and not killing Reva.
Or they are different people from the same species. Thus removing the need for a retcon.

The Obi-Wan Grand Inquisitor has a different eye color to the Rebels one. That detail is something I'm going to want anyone claiming they are the same person to explain.

On the whole, they're treating Kenobi without enough reverence in-universe. He is one of only two surviving council masters. He is Vader's teacher and nemesis, and the only man Vader probably truly fears. Allowing your quarry to escape to bring down the bigger cell is generally a smart move, but I think Kenobi is just about the most valuable prey in the galaxy. Expensive bait.
Another reason in favor of the tracker being planted just in case something went wrong, instead of letting them escape being the plan. Then Reva lied to Vader about why she planted it, because telling the truth would get her killed.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-09 10:38pm Just watched the fourth episode. The least shitty, I think. I liked that the tracking device was hidden in the droid, that was clever.
Actually, I don't think it's the least bit clever, at least not for tracking the network. The Third Sister knows she's Princess Leia and so why wouldn't Obi-Wan go straight for Alderaan and drop Leia, and the droid, off before going on his merry way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Mange wrote: 2022-06-10 06:06amThe Third Sister knows she's Princess Leia and so why wouldn't Obi-Wan go straight for Alderaan and drop Leia, and the droid, off before going on his merry way.
Or even just the nearest major starport where they can put her on a commercial transport straight to Alderaan. Maybe they can shoehorn Disney's Galactic Starcruiser into this for just that purpose.

Does Alderaan not have embassies or consulates on any other planets? There must be any number of more logical places they can take her that's NOT a hidden rebel base.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-09 03:09am
Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-06-08 03:05pm

They had already explained that the base had no shield, relying instead on people being too scared to dare attack it.
That had literally my eyes rolling. It's just downright stupid and illogical. Talk about lazy writing.

I
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yet they have plenty of TIE fighters and NONE of them are ever in the air? What about radar? Isn't ANYONE watching for approaching ships?

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-10 02:16am
Or they are different people from the same species. Thus removing the need for a retcon.

The Obi-Wan Grand Inquisitor has a different eye color to the Rebels one. That detail is something I'm going to want anyone claiming they are the same person to explain.
Yeah, that's possible, but what are the odds that there are two consecutive Grand Inquisitors of the same, relatively uncommon species? And Fifth Brother is passed over for promotion?
Another reason in favor of the tracker being planted just in case something went wrong, instead of letting them escape being the plan. Then Reva lied to Vader about why she planted it, because telling the truth would get her killed.
I like that a lot more, but we still have the problem that Vader found it acceptable. If your theory is correct, then why did Vader put her back on the case? Plus all of the numerous security failings that allowed them to escape. Vader should have thanked her for hedging her bets, then killed her for failing to capture her quarry and set someone else on the job.
Mange wrote: 2022-06-10 06:06am Actually, I don't think it's the least bit clever, at least not for tracking the network. The Third Sister knows she's Princess Leia and so why wouldn't Obi-Wan go straight for Alderaan and drop Leia, and the droid, off before going on his merry way.
Look, I'm just trying to find SOMETHING good in this show. I'm grasping at straws.

To be clear, I don't think that planting a tracker and letting them escape is clever--I'm just appreciative that the tracking device was planted in the droid. When Reva first mentioned it, I thought she had stuck it to the outside of the T-47 (stupid) or planted it on Kenobi's clothing (also stupid). The droid was at least a piece of technology that the characters will reliably keep nearby, and she had a chance on-screen to mess with it.

I guess the assumption is that whoever rescued them will go back to their base first? Then acquire alternative transport to drop Leia and Kenobi off? It's pretty weak.
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-10 12:16pm Yet they have plenty of TIE fighters and NONE of them are ever in the air? What about radar? Isn't ANYONE watching for approaching ships?
And the base is already on alert, no less.

Also, how did they fit four people in a two-seat airspeeder?
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-09 10:54pm I was expecting more hate for this episode. The other reviews I've seen have been absolutely scorching.
I might have hated it more if it hadn't followed Episode 3. This was sweet relief after that disaster.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-06-09 11:11pm
KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-09 10:38pm On the whole, they're treating Kenobi without enough reverence in-universe. He is one of only two surviving council masters. He is Vader's teacher and nemesis, and the only man Vader probably truly fears. Allowing your quarry to escape to bring down the bigger cell is generally a smart move, but I think Kenobi is just about the most valuable prey in the galaxy. Expensive bait.
Owing to seemingly every time the Empire does everything, overconfidence seems to be a factor. They probably don't have the best hiring and promotions regulations.
We are talking about an organisation that reports to Vader, with its HQ in his star system.

I'd expect that anyone competent who finds themself working there will be looking for some way to get transferred elsewhere. Leaving only the loyal incompetents, who figure out how to do just enough work to go unnoticed by Vader or the Inquisitors.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-10 12:55pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-10 02:16am

Yeah, that's possible, but what are the odds that there are two consecutive Grand Inquisitors of the same, relatively uncommon species? And Fifth Brother is passed over for promotion?
Maybe the unlikely happens. Maybe there is something about that species that makes them more easily molded into a Grand Inquisitor that can survive under Vader. Maybe Fifth Brother dies before the Rebels Grand Inquisitor takes the position.

The Grand Inquisitor surviving has two things which seem less plausible to me. We have the eye color changing and how quickly someone else needs to have arrived to prevent Reva finishing him off.
I like that a lot more, but we still have the problem that Vader found it acceptable. If your theory is correct, then why did Vader put her back on the case? Plus all of the numerous security failings that allowed them to escape. Vader should have thanked her for hedging her bets, then killed her for failing to capture her quarry and set someone else on the job.
Maybe Vader believed her lie. Maybe he confuses bold plans with competence until they are a complete failure. Maybe his anger at Kenobi is distracting him. Maybe Vader wants to keep her on the job because he doesn't any of the Inquisitors will survive a fight with Kenobi and she's the most expendable right now.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-10 12:16pm Yet they have plenty of TIE fighters and NONE of them are ever in the air?
Not needed. Nobody would dare to attack the base
What about radar?
Isn't ANYONE watching for approaching ships?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

KraytKing wrote: 2022-06-08 03:10pm Honestly some of the worst Star Wars media I've ever seen. The first episode was insulting, but it didn't drive me away like the Mandalorian did for some reason so I kept watching. Now I intend to keep watching, just so I don't have friends telling me "oh it gets better, you're just a curmudgeon" for the rest of time.
Stop worrying about being a called a curmudgeon and go watch something you will actually enjoy. Life is too short to do otherwise. You'll be a happier curmudgeon for doing it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice