Encanto (possible Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Encanto (possible Spoilers)

Post by LadyTevar »

The movie is all over FB, with not only parents raving about it, but the average animation geeks also going nuts.

I finally got to watch it, and it's everything a Disney Movie with songs by Lin Miranda should be. Big musical numbers with a latino beat, deep heartfelt story, and the usual Disney Ending. 10 of 10

I'm not going to spoil anything in this post, but I'm hoping to discuss and break it down with y'all. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: Encanto (possible Spoilers)

Post by Zor »

I rather liked it.It has a good ensemble cast and some good music (We Don't Talk About Bruno being the best song).

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zor wrote: 2022-01-14 01:31pm I rather liked it.It has a good ensemble cast and some good music (We Don't Talk About Bruno being the best song).

Zor
I've had that one stuck in my head the last two days, although Luisa's song "Surface Pressure" keeps "drip drip drip" inside my head as well

Overall, the movie is a really good look at how Family Expectations cause problems. Luisa's strength, Bruno's Visions, Isabella's "Perfection", all were already there and hurting the individuals. Even Pepa was constantly having to fight to keep the rain clouds away (and the hurricane was Her Nerves, not Bruno's Fault!). Mom Julietta seemed the only stable one!

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It was a delightful piece and I enjoyed watching it.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Wow, they tried really hard to make "Let It Go 2".

One of those songs may almost literally have just been "Let It Go But With Flowers Instead Of Ice". Like seriously identical thematically and barely tweaked lyrics and visuals. :wtf:
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

My wife (being a huge Disney fan) loved the movie and already watched it twice.
For me it was OK (its not my type of movie). A kinda missed a good villain. Catchy songs though.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2022-01-16 03:54am Wow, they tried really hard to make "Let It Go 2".

One of those songs may almost literally have just been "Let It Go But With Flowers Instead Of Ice". Like seriously identical thematically and barely tweaked lyrics and visuals. :wtf:
Ok, yes, I did get that as well. That's one of the weaker songs imho.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I know I'm late to the party having only recently seen this on Disney +, but I never understood how the house's magical status was reset by affixing a magical doorknob? :lol:

Can we have a shout out for the Amazonian Beauty that is Luisa Madrigal though? :mrgreen: :luv:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-02-25 01:11pm I know I'm late to the party having only recently seen this on Disney +, but I never understood how the house's magical status was reset by affixing a magical doorknob? :lol:
There's been a lot of discussion over that bit.

First -- remember all of the family had their own Doors and Rooms. They get it by touching a doorknob when they reached a certain age -- except for Mirabelle, whose door vanished as soon as she touched the doorknob.

The next thing we see in the movie is that the House responds best to Abuela and to Mirabelle. Only they get the little waves, the extra help, even when the house is falling apart it's working to help Mirabelle and protected her at the end.

So, the theory goes, Mirabelle's connection to the House is the reason she didn't have her own room -- she has the whole house. She will be the next Abuela, the next Keeper of the Miracle, and this is echoed in the image on the door before the house reawakens. Mirabelle is in the center of the door, Abuela behind her, the rest of the family behind them.
But before all this could happen, Abuela had to be shown her actions were strangling the family. Mirabelle had to break the old ways, the old house, and start things on a new foundation. The Miracle will always be in the Family, and that is what gave life to the House.

That is the THEORY.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I really felt like not enough was done to:
1. Show Abuella pressuring others, not just wassername the main. (Sing, don't show = as bad as "tell, don't show"). (Sorry, a 0.1 second of her straightening hair flowers is not enough)
2. Comeuppance for Abuella's gaslighting.

I did read people from a LA background commenting on how the gaslighting matriarch really really hit hard for them, so maybe I just lack cultural context to pick up the signs.

3. A lot of the songs, notably "surface pressure" just didn't gell for me. I didn't feel like the flowed, they sounded like people talking and trying to do so in half song . Maybe I'm just not a hiphop/rap fan :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.