How would SW combat droids be implemented into various era of USA conflicts

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

CT-6549
Redshirt

How would SW combat droids be implemented into various era of USA conflicts

Post by CT-6549 »

The basic question here is how exactly would the various combat droids seen in star wars be implemented into certain eras of human conflict.

1 WW2

2 Vietnam

3 Iraq-Iran Wars

4 War on terror.

Couple of things to note while the US can manufacture these droids somehow they cannot apply the tech seen in the droids.
legends cannon all eras.
The b1 is not the only battle droid in SW.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: How would SW combat droids be implemented into various era of USA conflicts

Post by Tribble »

How many droids are we talking about?
What is the production rate?
Are they able to be repaired / refueled as needed?

Most of the droids are probably immune to 20th century
Small arms fire at the very least, and more advanced, heavily armoured and/or shielded droids could likely survive anti air / tank weapons as well.

And speaking of which, are we just talking bidepal droids, or things like droid tanks / walkers / starfighters as well?

Depending on the type and number of droids this can range from small strike force against priority targets to them easily curb stomping whatever they are facing.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
CT-6549
Redshirt

Post by CT-6549 »

Tribble wrote: 2021-06-13 12:37am How many droids are we talking about?
What is the production rate?
Are they able to be repaired / refueled as needed?
This Isn't technically about giving them droids moreso about them having the schematics and the resources to create them.

Assume for this scenario the USA could produce the cheaper droids(b1s,b2s, etc) at the same pace they could produce ammunition the ¨better droids¨ (SD-10s, YVH, Annihilator droids, etc) would be produced at the same speed of tanks and aircraft.

Yes.

Also when creating droid tanks and such they could be made at a comparble pace to IRL tanks
Tribble wrote: 2021-06-13 12:37am.
And speaking of which, are we just talking bidepal droids, or things like droid tanks / walkers / starfighters as well?
Only Bipedal, Walkers, Tanks apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

CT-6549 wrote: 2021-06-12 09:38pm The basic question here is how exactly would the various combat droids seen in star wars be implemented into certain eras of human conflict.

1 WW2

2 Vietnam

3 Iraq-Iran Wars

4 War on terror.

Couple of things to note while the US can manufacture these droids somehow they cannot apply the tech seen in the droids.
legends cannon all eras.
The b1 is not the only battle droid in SW.
This doesn't strike me as having much speculative value. Why don't you tell us?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Well, let's consider.

You're basically saying that, in this scenario, the United States can turn out B1 Battledroids at the rate they can turn out ammo.

Do you know how many fucking battledroids that is an hour? They could produce more Battledroids then soldiers that fought in World War 2.

And destroyer droids at the rate of TANKS?

They could curbstomb every single military on the planet. At once. Nothing sort of repeated nuclear strikes could stop them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
CT-6549
Redshirt

Post by CT-6549 »

NecronLord wrote: 2021-06-14 05:18am This doesn't strike me as having much speculative value. Why don't you tell us?
What needs clarification?
Solauren wrote: 2021-06-14 08:19am You're basically saying that, in this scenario, the United States can turn out B1 Battledroids at the rate they can turn out ammo.
Shittt that was a mistake any way to even it out?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Ammunition' can mean a lot of things, from pistol bullets through guided artillery shells up to nuclear-tipped cruise missiles
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
CT-6549
Redshirt

Post by CT-6549 »

Batman wrote: 2021-06-14 01:58pm 'Ammunition' can mean a lot of things, from pistol bullets through guided artillery shells up to nuclear-tipped cruise missiles
I was thinking more along the lines of small arms but seeing as that makes this a pointless stomp thread I'm kinda lost.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Giving them any rate of manufacture close to what the United States military are capable of making firearms or tanks at results in a curbstomp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... rld_War_II

In 1943, the United States made 37,000 tanks. Total production from 1939 to 1945 was roughly 89,000 (exact figures in the link above)

Now, imagine 89,000 Destroyer Droids as a military unit during World War 2.

Droids that do not need to sleep, have built in reactors, and energy shields. Droids that can take Star wars level small arms fire, and lightsabers strikes. Droids that can operate underwater. Droids you can drop from a bomber, and they'll land, unfurl, and go on a killing spree.

You give anyone on Earth the ability to mass produce any form of advanced sci-fi weaponry, they've conquered the world. Simple as that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

CT-6549 wrote: 2021-06-15 01:52am
Batman wrote: 2021-06-14 01:58pm 'Ammunition' can mean a lot of things, from pistol bullets through guided artillery shells up to nuclear-tipped cruise missiles
I was thinking more along the lines of small arms but seeing as that makes this a pointless stomp thread I'm kinda lost.
Which is why I gave you more ammunition options. An SM-3 ABM is going to take the 'tiniest' bit longer to manufacture than a 5.56x45 round. Then there's the matter of 'cost'. The US military budget is 'vast' but not unlimited. How many of those robot can they afford?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
CT-6549
Redshirt

Post by CT-6549 »

Batman wrote: 2021-06-14 01:58pm Which is why I gave you more ammunition options. An SM-3 ABM is going to take the 'tiniest' bit longer to manufacture than a 5.56x45 round. Then there's the matter of 'cost'. The US military budget is 'vast' but not unlimited. How many of those robot can they afford?
And I thank you for that but the SM 3 ABM are only available during a certain time in US history this would not be available pre-2014.

let also say the cost for a droid is the same price as they are in SW.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is anyone but me getting Archinist vibes?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

CT-6549 wrote: 2021-06-15 12:00pm
Batman wrote: 2021-06-14 01:58pm Which is why I gave you more ammunition options. An SM-3 ABM is going to take the 'tiniest' bit longer to manufacture than a 5.56x45 round. Then there's the matter of 'cost'. The US military budget is 'vast' but not unlimited. How many of those robot can they afford?
And I thank you for that but the SM 3 ABM are only available during a certain time in US history this would not be available pre-2014.
:wtf: That was what is commonly known as an 'example'. Just pick another weapon system that is appropriate for the time. WW2, I dunno, the Bat?, Vietnam Standard ARM, Iran-Iraq Harpoon, War on Terror (hah) TLAM-D. Those are again only examples of (this time period appropriate)munitions that can't be mass-produced in virtually no time at virtually no cost.
let also say the cost for a droid is the same price as they are in SW.
Which we don't know
CT-6549
Redshirt

Post by CT-6549 »

Batman wrote: 2021-06-14 01:58pm
:wtf: That was what is commonly known as an 'example'. Just pick another weapon system that is appropriate for the time. WW2, I dunno, the Bat?, Vietnam Standard ARM, Iran-Iraq Harpoon, War on Terror (hah) TLAM-D. Those are again only examples of (this time period appropriate)munitions that can't be mass-produced in virtually no time at virtually no cost.
Fair enough I guess.
Batman wrote: 2021-06-14 01:58pm let also say the cost for a droid is the same price as they are in SW.
Which we don't know
But we do we know the B1 cost 1,800 credits the b2 3,000 credit from an older RP sourcebook.
If there are droids we don't the price of just base them off their components that have prices or their weapons that are built into them.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

How do you convert Republic/Empire credits into US currency?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

And how do you know how much those credits are actually 'worth'? In ANH Luke considered 10,000 credits 'almost enough to buy our own ship'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, we really don't know the fundamentals of the REP/USD currency pair. Are any other prices canonically stated in SW, be it for food, labour, or whatnot?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-06-15 08:17pm Yeah, we really don't know the fundamentals of the REP/USD currency pair. Are any other prices canonically stated in SW, be it for food, labour, or whatnot?
If you had access to the old WEG RPG books you could probably look at the various costs for things there and try to extrapolate. But that seems like a lot of work.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

This is extremely back-of-envelope, but in TPM, Qui-Gon offered to let Watto have the winnings of the Boonta Eve race, minus cost of parts for refurbishing a podracer and Anakin; Watto drew the line at both Anakin and Shmi, stating that a podracer wasn't worth two slaves. Obviously though Watto isn't a good example because he's being greedy.

That said, Qui-Gon does state that he has a purse of 20K Republic credits; Watto doesn't mention an exchange rate or anything, just dismisses them as useless, which is curious. Perhaps Tattooine is far enough from the Republic's sphere of influence at that point that trying to exchange Republic credits is likely to bring hostile attention.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Using the RPG books, find out what the average cost for a speeder is. (like Luke's speeder). Preferably new and used. Prequel trilogy era.

For each of the mentioned eras of US history, look up how much your average car (a close approximation) would be worth at the time.
Or failing that, your average military jeap.

Whatever the ratio is, that's the Credits to USD.

i.e (Note: TOTALLY MADE UP NUMBERS FOR MATH EXAMPLE ONLY)
Luke's Speeder cost 10,000 credits new.
The price of a Jeep in 1943 was roughly 2500 or manufacture.

Ratio is 4 Republic credits = 1 USD.

Now, that being said, more and more, I think about this, and this scenario is beyond stupid. You're giving the UNited States the ability to mass produce and maintain, extremely advanced alien technology. Unless a B1 battle droid is vulnerable to our small arms weapons technology (which would make them nearly useless), they're going to be a major advantage. Don't even get me started on Destroyer droids.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2021-06-15 08:43pm Perhaps Tattooine is far enough from the Republic's sphere of influence at that point that trying to exchange Republic credits is likely to bring hostile attention.
It could even be a sheer lack of interest. If neither Watto nor any of his regular business partners have any interest in going anywhere with Republic money, then they're functionally worthless. Watto would have to take a bad exchange in order to be able to sell them.

- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-06-15 12:32pm Is anyone but me getting Archinist vibes?
The same one who had a guy carrying 20 truck batteries in a backpack? Truck batteries which weigh three times that of a car battery? That Antichrist? :mrgreen:
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: Is anyone but me getting Archinist vibes?
The same one who had a guy carrying 20 truck batteries in a backpack? Truck batteries which weigh three times that of a car battery? That Antichrist? :mrgreen:
As long as we don’t get into “wearing jackets makes you colder” territory we’re fine :P

The problem with this scenario is production numbers, which is way too high - it basically boils down to “how fast does the US want the rest of the world conquered?”

Maybe make B1 battledroids the equivalent of a tank, B2 costing 2x, destroyer droids costing 1000x as much etc.

Also make it so it’s not extra free production - if they want the droids, they have to cut back on vehicle production elsewhere .

This way they should still get some droids on the field without overwhelming numbers.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Still, even in small numbers, Battle Droids are a game changer.

They don't need to eat or sleep, and can communicate with each other completely silently. They have superior to human sensor capability, and they can operate under water.

In World War 2 - Just drop a squad of them off at an isolated part of the German border, and give them orders to move silently, and at night, and they'll probably make Berlin and kill Hitler before anyone notices.

CT-6549
Redshirt

Post by CT-6549 »

Tribble wrote: 2021-06-17 01:03pm

As long as we don’t get into “wearing jackets makes you colder” territory we’re fine :P

The problem with this scenario is production numbers, which is way too high - it basically boils down to “how fast does the US want the rest of the world conquered?”

Maybe make B1 battledroids the equivalent of a tank, B2 costing 2x, destroyer droids costing 1000x as much etc.

Also make it so it’s not extra free production - if they want the droids, they have to cut back on vehicle production elsewhere .

This way they should still get some droids on the field without overwhelming numbers.
This. I guess as there is no need to make this a stomp.